new eatwell plate

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has anyone seen it? potatoes , bread starchy carbs etc. has gone from 33% on the old one to 37% on the new one.:(:banghead:

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Yes....:banghead:....:rolleyes:

"Base meals on potatoes, bread, rice, pasta or other starchy carbohydrates. Choose wholegrain where possible"
o_O ...
and the nation is eating well indeed...and the waist lines growing well too...

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
That's ridiculous, do they not have our best interests at heart :eek: Eatwell Plate, Nutritional Plate... better for who...?? Definitely not for us diabetics.

There are thousands of us members in here, they obviously don't listen, its a banging your head against the wall situation. Rice..? Pasta..? Bread...? Honestly, it makes me madder than mad :banghead:

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A potato by any other name...
Not exactly. There was some change to the proportions to include more fat. Can't remember the details. As usual with these things, there was someone raising irrelevant point which was distracting.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's ridiculous, do they not have our best interests at heart :eek: Eatwell Plate, Nutritional Plate... better for who...?? Definitely not for us diabetics.

There are thousands of us members in here, they obviously don't listen, its a banging your head against the wall situation. Rice..? Pasta..? Bread...? Honestly, it makes me madder than mad :banghead:
No, I think the change in balance towards fat was a definite improvement. The course is geared towards what Trudi Deakin has been arguing.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Not exactly. There was some change to the proportions to include more fat. Can't remember the details. As usual with these things, there was someone raising irrelevant point which was distracting.
Here is a link to the new plate
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...data/file/508434/Eatwell-16MAR2016England.pdf

It includes
8 tips for eating well
1. Base your meals on starchy foods
2. Eat lots of fruit and veg
3. Eat more fish – including a portion of oily fish each week
4. Cut down on saturated fat and sugar
5. Eat less salt – no more than 6g a day for adults
6. Get active and be a healthy weight
7. Don’t get thirsty
8. Don’t skip breakfast

When I was diagnosed, I was told to "fill up on starchy food at every meal." It was dangerous advice then and it still is no matter what they are calling the plate. This may be fine for the general population, though I doubt it, but I really object to it being pushed on people with diabetes. My NHS dietician told me to replace eggs with porridge for breakfast. No wonder this place has a steady stream of confused new members who feel like ****.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...data/file/508434/Eatwell-16MAR2016England.pdf

It includes
8 tips for eating well
7. Don’t get thirsty
8. Don’t skip breakfast

When I was diagnosed, I was told to "fill up on starchy food at every meal." It was dangerous advice then and it still is no matter what they are calling the plate. This may be fine for the general population, though I doubt it, but I really object to it being pushed on people with diabetes. My NHS dietician told me to replace eggs with porridge for breakfast. No wonder this place has a steady stream of confused new members who feel like ****.
It all turns to cr*p in the end. It seems we still have a fight on our hands. I think that one of the 'advisors' on the dietary comittee appeared on I'm a Celebrity, and had an unnatural interest in the contestants stools,

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

It includes
8 tips for eating well
7. Don’t get thirsty
8. Don’t skip breakfast

Well I think this 'plate' will be gong the same way that the previous ones have done in my household. That is being filed under 'b' (bin) and we will carry on eating meals devoid of grains and carbs (not entirely but mostly).

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
I thought that the 'skipping breakfast is bad' was now exposed as a myth - you DO eat more at lunch, but not more than you would have ate in total. There was a pretty good study showing this, and none, to my knowledge showing otherwise, it was just 'well-known fact': http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23672851

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
It all turns to cr*p in the end. It seems we still have a fight on our hands. I think that one of the 'advisors' on the dietary comittee appeared on I'm a Celebrity, and had an unnatural interest in the contestants stools,
Ah...say no more...the stool poker...

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Trouble is, fat and carbs are on a seesaw.
If they are suggesting we should increase carbs to 37% then they shouldn't be increasing fat at the same time.

High fat and low carb works
low fat and high carb works (for non T2s)
high fat AND high carb is a recipe for diaster
- and so the nation will get fatter...

Reactions: 5 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I used to always be a lower carber.... And always had higher cholesterol. Never higher fat but introduced oily fish, avocado's, olives and olive oil at least 5/7 days a week. Cholesterol improved.

Last few months I've had to introduce more fruit (therefore more carbs). Hba1c has actually gone down more. Cholesterol has significantly dived down now to total being just 3.9.. With soya yogurts instead of other yogurts and the hard cheeses.

Due to bowel probs only meat I have ate is chicken in that time, and 1/2 a duck.

The only thing I worry about is that everybody balances diabetes with other diseases.. Not just heart attacks but Cancer too. I'm 5 months on from having one mastectomy, and now due to asking for a 2nd opinion having seen my medical notes I have now just had 10 samples taken from a biopsy on right breast.... So on top of diabetes and heart I am now looking for the first time at food for reducing cancer risks as I cannot to,erase the anti cancer tablets.

I just hope that balances of fruit and veg and meat are ate. Japanese have the lowest cancer rates and they eat carbs- just less of the breads.........I just think we have to formulate eating for overall health.

Reactions: 4 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Trouble is, fat and carbs are on a seesaw.
If they are suggesting we should increase carbs to 37% then they shouldn't be increasing fat at the same time.

High fat and low carb works
low fat and high carb works (for non T2s)
high fat AND high carb is a recipe for diaster
- and so the nation will get fatter...

Can't see the 33 to 37% in any of the referenced links.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to always be a lower carber.... And always had higher cholesterol. Never higher fat but introduced oily fish, avocado's, olives and olive oil at least 5/7 days a week. Cholesterol improved.

Last few months I've had to introduce more fruit (therefore more carbs). Hba1c has actually gone down more. Cholesterol has significantly dived down now to total being just 3.9.. With soya yogurts instead of other yogurts and the hard cheeses.

Due to bowel probs only meat I have ate is chicken in that time, and 1/2 a duck.

The only thing I worry about is that everybody balances diabetes with other diseases.. Not just heart attacks but Cancer too. I'm 5 months on from having one mastectomy, and now due to asking for a 2nd opinion having seen my medical notes I have now just had 10 samples taken from a biopsy on right breast.... So on top of diabetes and heart I am now looking for the first time at food for reducing cancer risks as I cannot to,erase the anti cancer tablets.

I just hope that balances of fruit and veg and meat are ate. Japanese have the lowest cancer rates and they eat carbs- just less of the breads.........I just think we have to formulate eating for overall health.

I think we follow a similar diet, and seem to be seeing similar results, I'm pleased to say.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I think we follow a similar diet, and seem to be seeing similar results, I'm pleased to say.

Hope you never follow similar medical probs-lol!!

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.

DD, have you tried looking at the MacMillan site? Maybe asking on the forum if there is anybody else with type 1 dealing with the same issues? Or one of the MacMillan advisors maybe..I got no support from the Mac nurses at all but the forum (different type of cancer) was my lifeline. Just thinking out loud really, you've probably already thought of it. Wishing you well with your recovery from the surgery and hoping that further treatment will not be needed.

Take care x

Reactions: 4 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
What exactly is the basis for the advice re basing meals around starchy carbs? The clinical evidence I mean..
I've seen this same phrase trotted out for years, BASING the meal around starch means everything else takes second place, surely.
What or who is the source of this info? Does anybody actually know? I know all the anti's but who are the pro carbers that those in power are listening to, does anyone know?

Reactions: 2 people