Bobby59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cabbage and most veg
@Bluetit1802
Why do you think your type 2 is not in remission?

You seem to be an expert on this subject why don't you write a blog on how the HFLC Diet works from day one. Include what side effects people can expect. May be add some of your favorite food stuffs. Why not included explanations of what being in remission is. You know a full A-Z of The HFLC Diet as seen from the eyes of an expert.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
[
You seem to be an expert on this subject why don't you write a blog on how the HFLC Diet works from day one. Include what side effects people can expect. May be add some of your favorite food stuffs. Why not included explanations of what being in remission is. You know a full A-Z of The HFLC Diet as seen from the eyes of an expert.
Better still @Bobby59 I could email the author of the book 'Eat Fat' to answer your queries if you like.

Reactions: 5 people

Deakint

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi there,

The charity I run “X-PERT Health” provides X-PERT prevention, diabetes and insulin programmes to the NHS where people can access them (if they are available in their area).

I undertake regular literature reviews and critically appraise the research papers. The X-PERT Programmes have been updated with this evidence base.

I understand healthcare professional concerns, especially as the new Eatwell Guide still advocates a low fat, high carb diet for all. We therefore have to accept that there will be a transition period. It’s challenging times at the moment and, as my very wise father has said, “don’t let excellence get in the way of good”! The transition period provides time for educators to read and understand the evidence.

I was challenged by dietitians at a study day last autumn but I appreciate it is difficult for dietitians because they have been trained in a certain way. I too was trained to promote a low fat, high carb diet. However, our professional code of conduct states that we need to deliver treatments in the best interests of service users; keep skills and knowledge up-to-date; provide information necessary to make informed decisions; engage in evidence-based practice & evaluate practice; use research to determine appropriate actions; critically evaluate research in order to inform practice. This means that sometimes we need to work outside recommendations as the research to practice gap is around 17 years.

On a positive note, the Diabetes UK 2011 dietary guidelines that state:
  • “Nutrition management has shifted from a prescriptive one-size fits all approach to a person-centred approach”.
  • “It is unclear what ideal proportion of macronutrients to recommend for optimal glycaemic control”.
  • “In terms of dietary strategies for weight loss, encouraging the individual to adopt their diet of choice may well improve outcomes. It is the degree of adherence that will predict outcomes rather than type of dietary strategy. It is intuitive that a diet an individual enjoys and finds acceptable is more likely to succeed”.
This is why the updated programmes provide sample days and information for a low fat, Mediterranean, low carb, intermittent fasting and 500 calorie deficit dietary approaches. The X-PERT Programmes continue to be based on the empowerment philosophy where individuals self-assess their diet, make informed decisions and set goals to make any changes they desire and we know one size doesn’t fit all. We do know that the LCHD dietary approach works in those individuals who are motivated and for those who get support (from family and/or healthcare professionals). However, if support and education is not available, the approach is less likely to be sustainable.

As you may be aware, I am also a founding member along with another 11 medics and researchers of a new charity Public Health Collaboration https://phcuk.org/ that will raise awareness of the scientific evidence with the objective of revising the UK dietary guidelines. We will produce quarterly reports and the first conference is in Birmingham on Saturday 11th June.

We just need to educate and support those who are trapped in traditional wisdom. It will happen but it will take time………..

I hope this helps? Best wishes, Trudi

Reactions: 17 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there,

The charity I run “X-PERT Health” provides X-PERT prevention, diabetes and insulin programmes to the NHS where people can access them (if they are available in their area).

I undertake regular literature reviews and critically appraise the research papers. The X-PERT Programmes have been updated with this evidence base.

I understand healthcare professional concerns, especially as the new Eatwell Guide still advocates a low fat, high carb diet for all. We therefore have to accept that there will be a transition period. It’s challenging times at the moment and, as my very wise father has said, “don’t let excellence get in the way of good”! The transition period provides time for educators to read and understand the evidence.

I was challenged by dietitians at a study day last autumn but I appreciate it is difficult for dietitians because they have been trained in a certain way. I too was trained to promote a low fat, high carb diet. However, our professional code of conduct states that we need to deliver treatments in the best interests of service users; keep skills and knowledge up-to-date; provide information necessary to make informed decisions; engage in evidence-based practice & evaluate practice; use research to determine appropriate actions; critically evaluate research in order to inform practice. This means that sometimes we need to work outside recommendations as the research to practice gap is around 17 years.

• “Nutrition management has shifted from a prescriptive one-size fits all approach to a person-centred approach”.
  • “It is unclear what ideal proportion of macronutrients to recommend for optimal glycaemic control”.
  • “In terms of dietary strategies for weight loss, encouraging the individual to adopt their diet of choice may well improve outcomes. It is the degree of adherence that will predict outcomes rather than type of dietary strategy. It is intuitive that a diet an individual enjoys and finds acceptable is more likely to succeed”.
This is why the updated programmes provide sample days and information for a low fat, Mediterranean, low carb, intermittent fasting and 500 calorie deficit dietary approaches. The X-PERT Programmes continue to be based on the empowerment philosophy where individuals self-assess their diet, make informed decisions and set goals to make any changes they desire and we know one size doesn’t fit all. We do know that the LCHD dietary approach works in those individuals who are motivated and for those who get support (from family and/or healthcare professionals). However, if support and education is not available, the approach is less likely to be sustainable.

As you may be aware, I am also a founding member along with another 11 medics and researchers of a new charity Public Health Collaboration https://phcuk.org/ that will raise awareness of the scientific evidence with the objective of revising the UK dietary guidelines. We will produce quarterly reports and the first conference is in Birmingham on Saturday 11th June.

We just need to educate and support those who are trapped in traditional wisdom. It will happen but it will take time………..

Trudi - Thanks for dropping by and making such a fulsome and considered response. I hope the shout-out wasn't too intrusive?

I may be in the UK on the 11th June, and if I am, will be making the effort to attend the PHCUK get together. Change will only happen when someone, somewhere puts their head above the parapet and remains brave enough to leave it there. You are amongst those still somewhat lonely heads, along with the likes of @Southport GP , so my continuing thanks for both your work and courageous approach.

On a complete aside, when your book, Eat Fat was published, I bought a copy. I had already met most of my diabetic goals by then, but it's brief format makes it an easy "quick look" tome. I then lent it to a pre-diabetic gentleman who commented on how trim I had been looking for some time, as he was interested in dealing with his pre-D, but also trimming up and staying trimmed.

Cutting to the chase, I then went back to UK for a few months, leaving the book behind, but telling him it was fine to share as he saw fit. That book has now been to US, Canada, W Indies, UK, Ireland and I do believe it may currently be in Grenada. I have absolutely no issue with that, but sort of wish I had asked at the outset that the book be marked, in some format by each recipient to show it's dates and location - just for fun. That book now has a few air and sea miles under it's LC belt! It makes me smile every time I hear it may have moved on. I hope it keeps moving, because it moving means there remains interest in it's content.

Reactions: 9 people

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

@Bobby59 . With such pleasantries I'm sure you will get a lot of benefit from the threads.
The Doner Kebab I would only eat the meat if I were sure it didn't contain carbs as a filler. Instead I would have a chicken skewer with the salad and throw away the pitta. Much more Low Carb High Fat.. and you know what I bet my blood sugars wouldn't spike afterwards..

Edited by Moderator to remove animosity directed at another poster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I don't have time for that, but I'd be happy to be answer any questions you have.

bladerfc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you know and this is a fact. You can eat as much Dona Kaba meat as you like when doing the HFLC diet.
dona%20kabab.jpg
Is this true??

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Please refrain from being abusive and confrontational. If you do not like what someone is posting you can walk away from the thread or put the person on ignore.

Reactions: 3 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have a look at this link. It gets the essential idea of LCHF across really well.
http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds
Fresh. Natural. Unprocessed. Wholesome.
That kebab is none of those things. :)

You're eating the wrong sort of food then.
What do you believe is in proper meat?
Do you have a link to ingredients a decent meat and the reason you believe you shouldn't eat it?.

(Bacon, that's an exception, it's a mess of chemicals, but still worth eating as well, when I can get it)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi there,

just bumping this for anyone who may not have seen it -- things are changing but they do take time

Reactions: 8 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just googled. This was the first entry I found. I shan't be looking at any more sites though as I don't like lamb anyway. I was just curious to see what I would find if I did as you suggested.

http://www.bitterwallet.com/whats-in-your-hand-if-its-a-doner-kebab-it-could-be-anything/8531

Very true, my point entirely. Cheap kebab is just the same as cheap sausage. I'm not entirely sure I'd buy a full english from the van on the corner anymore. Or a McMuffin. Way too much saturated fat.
A decent kebab meat though, like an extremely expensive sausage, very good, as has been said.
Although, they are still slated for too much fat and salt at times as well.
I guess I'm lucky where I am.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just googled. This was the first entry I found. I shan't be looking at any more sites though as I don't like lamb anyway. I was just curious to see what I would find if I did as you suggested.

http://www.bitterwallet.com/whats-in-your-hand-if-its-a-doner-kebab-it-could-be-anything/8531

A quick search for a half decent recipe,

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/23810/doner-meat.aspx

but I'm not precious on the lamb.

(Although I do fancy one now, so I may be getting out the lamb mince....)

There was a good one here, but it's a bit adulterated with the breadcrumbs.
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/gallery/2012/feb/08/how-to-make-a-doner-kebab

Bobby59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cabbage and most veg

Do you eat sausages? Millions of people eat sausages day to day any thing could be in them. Do you eat minced meat (Ground meat) if it says blended minced meat there could be any thing in that. Eating dona meat abroad I would agree there could be any thing in it. In the UK there are government food standards in place to protect you for such horrors. I would with out hesitation eat dona meat. If you are worried ask the nice chap behind the counter to eat some first.

Bobby59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cabbage and most veg
A quick search for a half decent recipe,

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/23810/doner-meat.aspx

but I'm not precious on the lamb.

(Although I do fancy one now, so I may be getting out the lamb mince....)

There was a good one here, but it's a bit adulterated with the breadcrumbs.
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/gallery/2012/feb/08/how-to-make-a-doner-kebab

Very nice a lot of faffing about but looks delicious and enough there for a couple of meals with plenty of fats.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you eat sausages? Millions of people eat sausages day to day any thing could be in them. Do you eat minced meat (Ground meat) if it says blended minced meat there could be any thing in that. Eating dona meat abroad I would agree there could be any thing in it. In the UK there are government food standards in place to protect you for such horrors. I would with out hesitation eat dona meat. If you are worried ask the nice chap behind the counter to eat some first.
Yes I eat sausages and I read the label on the pack so I know they are low carb.

Reactions: 2 people