Type 2 Going cinema tonight what do I take as snacks?

Marvel_champ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm going the cinema tonight with some friends and I'm worried about what to take as snacks. I normally have popcorn, a big fizzy drink and a hotdog. What should I get instead?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe just water to drink?

I haven't had snacks in the cinema since I was a child. Now I'm T2 I tend to just stick to eating at mealtimes only.

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just asked my 25 year old (non diabetic) son what he would eat in the cinema with his mates. He said "Nothing. Maybe we would go for a meal afterwards. "

A

Avocado Sevenfold

My only advice would be to avoid sugar free sweets as they can lead to a bad bum.

Sampat

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nothing might be a radical and good idea. Why is it considered the norm to eat while watching a film?

Reactions: 4 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Nothing might be a radical and good idea. Why is it considered the norm to eat while watching a film?
Snacks are a revenue stream for the venue and not actually essential for survival unless it is a verrrry long film. Some go on for hours - days even.

I suspect the OP just wants a treat and to not be the odd one out with his/her friends :)

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want to buy a snack at the cinema you will be limited in your choice for minimising a blood glucose rise.

Possibly a hot dog with out the bread roll.

More blood sugar friendly snacks would be plain nuts (not the coated type that many cinemas sell) or very dark i.e. 85% coco solids chocolate and a bottle of water.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I'm going the cinema tonight with some friends and I'm worried about what to take as snacks. I normally have popcorn, a big fizzy drink and a hotdog. What should I get instead?

Maybe the film will be SO good and entertaining, you may forget to eat snacks. When I used to go to the cinema with my child, I would just have a coffee. I know some type 2's recommend, nuts and pork scratchings as snack foods.
I hope you enjoy the film and your night out :)

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take nuts: salted almonds or dry roasted peanuts. If I'm feeling very indulgent I pop into the Nando's next door first for a takeaway portion of their peri nuts - nom nom nom nom nom :hungry:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Really? Eating overpriced snacks is fun? lol I must teach you what real fun is one day. :)

Yes, they are extremely overpriced, huge portions and over sugared too. When I used to go to Saturday morning pictures ( showing my age lol) we couldn't afford the prices in the picture house, so we used to go into the sweet shop next door ( Nicolsons) and buy drinks and sweets to scoff throughout the morning. We didn't need them, we all had a nice filling breakfast, but all the kids did it (1970's)

Reactions: 5 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Really? Eating overpriced snacks is fun? lol I must teach you what real fun is one day. :)

Oh yes, sometimes you need to relax, and enjoy being yourself, rather than deciding what you can't enjoy beforehand.

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
If you do fancy a snack rather than go without....you could cut some cheese into chunks...and some plain nuts/seeds ... bottle of water to flush it down. Pumpkin seeds are nice slightly toasted and sprinkled with salt...they are small and fiddly to eat one by one so little goes long way..;) You might have to sneak your snacks in though, as already mentioned, not every cinema allow your own snacks.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
What film are you hoping to watch ?