Bedside manner

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would just like it if a HCP made an effort to sugar coat things, just a little bit (yes I am very pleased with myself that I got to legitimately use the phrase "sugar coat" on the forum). I am well aware I'm a bad diabetic, but am also a real life person who has to leave the appointment and continue to live with it.

Examples:

Consultant
Have you heard of dead in bed syndrome? Because if you carry on like this you are going to get it (yes, this is a ver batim quote that my consultant said to me, to my great shame I did not respond with "have you heard of bedside manner? Cos seriously, you should try to acquire some", no no I just cried at her instead, which is much less useful for comic value).

DSN *while scrolling through my blood sugar diary app* I can't look at your numbers anymore, they are making me too nervous.

Strangely, I'm not feeling that reassured, or supported. Boo boo

iHs

I take it that your consultant and dsn thought that your bg levels were being controlled a bit too tightly with bg that were a bit too low for comfort? Is your a1c on 6.5% or lower?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I take it that your consultant and dsn thought that your bg levels were being controlled a bit too tightly with bg that were a bit too low for comfort? Is your a1c on 6.5% or lower?

I don't have a problem with facts of what they were saying or the reasoning behind it. They were completely correct in what they were saying. But, as I'd gone in looking for some help on the fact that I am hypo all the time, I just don't think it was especially helpful to express it like that. Well, I didn't leave in a great mood anyway :)

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I understand you're type 1 but attitude is attitude, and there are ways to approach patients - their attitude beggars belief. I had one such (moronic) HCP who "looked after" my daughter, and had me in tears when I came out of the clinic (no mean feat by the way).
Next time I saw him, in front of his students, I told him he had made me feel so depressed and hopeless for the future, that I didn't want to bring her back there ever again . He actually looked shocked. It altered his "bedside manner" but not for long, thankfully somebody else took his place soon after.

Maybe tell him, and her, just how they have made you feel. Hope you feel better x

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe tell him, and her, just how they have made you feel. Hope you feel better x

Thank you. Yeah, maybe I will suggest they go on a course on how to talk to people as if they are, you know, people. But, I will save any constructive criticism until after I've got my pump!

iHs

Thank you. Yeah, maybe I will suggest they go on a course on how to talk to people as if they are, you know, people. But, I will save any constructive criticism until after I've got my pump!

You will find a pump very life changing for the good and the bad and everything in between lol

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
But, as I'd gone in looking for some help on the fact that I am hypo all the time
Ok no sugar coating just being practical. Have you considered checking your basal insulin? If not do a basal test and see how much or if you need to lower the basal then look at your carb ratio. Normally if you are having lots of hypos this is due to far to much insulin.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@CarbsRok talks sense and I'd advise this myself. However, before you get the pump, you might find you run a wee bit high, if you have to lower your basal. . . I just thought I'd point this out, as it did happen to me. If you're already on a waiting list for the pump, hopefully you wouldn't have to put up with this for very long.