Another media slam...

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's the percentage of people that don't have lifestyle as a precursor. Those stats were given by Diabetes Australia here.

I can't see a link.
But I guess you're Australian?

I was in the UK at diagnosis.
So the UK seems to be different then.
Like me, about 90% are obese at diagnosis.
No one is judging
But they are warning.
Get fat
Get diabetes.

Don't get fat isn't bad advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

jekyll79

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm afraid 42% caused by "other factors" doesn't stack up against the increase in the number of type 2s. The numbers are going up dramatically alongside the rate of obesity around the world. The two problems are very strongly related and this cannot be denied.

What I don't get is why people are so defensive. I am type 1, but I don't tell people that. I rarely tell anyone to be honest, unless I have to. But nobody assumes that I have diabetes because of poor choices because I am not over weight, I regularly take part in sport and look after myself. The way I see it, if you are type 2 and look after yourself, nobody is going to make the link. If they do, then you can ask them why they think that when you are clearly not mistreating your body.

I think people are looking to be offended. Why? Take a step back and think about it. The message going out about poor lifestyle choices causing type 2 is correct. They do, That is not the only cause (as we know), but it is a major cause. If that message causes people to stop and think about their life choices, then it is good. This moaning about the message that goes out is like complaining about the "unprotected sex can leave you prone to AIDS" message. No, unprotected sex is not the ONLY way in which it is passed on, but it is a major way. Nobody was going to change that message to protect the feelings of unfortunate haemophiliacs.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why get hung up? I think for those of us that fall into the 42% bracket which I do it means we get labelled as the person who has the lifestyle disease. That to me is **** irritating and outright rude. Do I have to go around telling everyone I have another hormone condition? What do I have to do to defend myself? I have always been health conscious yet I'm the one in my family that has been landed with a list of illnesses which all go against each other and have practically ruined my life as I knew it. I get enough of people laughing at me, staring at me, saying inappropriate comments without the idiots that like to lump me in the 'lifestyle' label that they bang on about for type 2. I've put on weight in recent years because of medications. So that's why I get hung up on the subject. My view is people are very quick to judge without knowing the facts.
Actually in my 10 years of living with diabetes, I have not had this experience with other people. I had much more negative reactions to my smoking. I had great support from my employer and worked on past my retirement age even after 2 strokes and a heart attack. i am sorry you have suffered this. it is not in my experience.

Trachet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Curry. Rude people.
@ickihun I know where you are coming from. I have been shamed by people my whole life. In junior school I had to see the 'fat nurse' at school who questioned me on my activities and diet. Swam 3x a week sometimes 1 mile at a time. I was about 8. How could I help my diet at that age? I got teased non-stop for seeing her. When I went up to my secondary school my mum used to give me 'slender' milkshake and an apple for lunch. My weight was still a problem. Would have to be weighed regularly at my GP's who then would give me a lecture. I am not nor ever been lazy. I have been to the gym over the years, spending up to 2hrs there. I learnt to play tennis and averaged 4 hours a week. Yesterday I cycled nearly 30 miles. I am still fat.

I have been type 2 for 25 years and most of that time the blame has been aimed at me. This blame has come from the medical community and press. Is it any wonder we feel hurt and depressed. It is also hurtful when you come across people that are bigger than you, lazier than you and don't have this 'poor lifestyle' disease. I know it's down to genetics but it sucks.

Reactions: 2 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ickihun I know where you are coming from. I have been shamed by people my whole life. In junior school I had to see the 'fat nurse' at school who questioned me on my activities and diet. Swam 3x a week sometimes 1 mile at a time. I was about 8. How could I help my diet at that age? I got teased non-stop for seeing her. When I went up to my secondary school my mum used to give me 'slender' milkshake and an apple for lunch. My weight was still a problem. Would have to be weighed regularly at my GP's who then would give me a lecture. I am not nor ever been lazy. I have been to the gym over the years, spending up to 2hrs there. I learnt to play tennis and averaged 4 hours a week. Yesterday I cycled nearly 30 miles. I am still fat.

I have been type 2 for 25 years and most of that time the blame has been aimed at me. This blame has come from the medical community and press. Is it any wonder we feel hurt and depressed. It is also hurtful when you come across people that are bigger than you, lazier than you and don't have this 'poor lifestyle' disease. I know it's down to genetics but it sucks.

I'm more annoyed about people that eat like a horse, eat all the wrong foods, and stay thin. :)

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Actually in my 10 years of living with diabetes, I have not had this experience with other people. I had much more negative reactions to my smoking. I had great support from my employer and worked on past my retirement age even after 2 strokes and a heart attack. i am sorry you have suffered this. it is not in my experience.

I'm glad to hear you've not had the same experience as myself. I'm a non smoker so I've not had that experience of people saying things about smoking. I'm sorry that happened to you. But I think the difference between the two things is that I wasn't living an unhealthy lifestyle in the first place. That's my entire point. I think it's unfair people who don't have the precursor get lumped into the 'lifestyle' disease label. That's just my view. I've been hurt by it in the past by remarks from ignorant people... maybe they didn't mean to upset me but they did. I've had some of them apologise later to me too when they realised they were misinformed. But in my position I'm having to put up with a lot of judgment from people these days thanks to my health limitations. It's amazing just how much people judge things they can't see. What is also irritating is the amount of people that have a remedy for everything under the sun, they must think I was born yesterday. I'm the one living with my health conditions, they're not. In fact most people have never heard of some of the things I'm dealing with. Sorry I'm probably venting here a bit as I've had it up to the eyeballs with this stuff lately. I just wished media would give people like myself a break. I didn't ask for any of these health conditions and I try my hardest to please them all.

Reactions: 4 people

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other

Welshgirl_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am a T2 diabetic and i was diagnosed at 24 years of age. This article makes me so mad! I have always been 8 stone and healthy. My mother also has T2 Diabetes as does my auntie. Both are a healthy weight. My diabetes is believed to be due to genetics. I work hard every day to control my diabetes and my Hab1c is very good. Due to this article in the media, I have had people referencing in work today things that i eat. As a treat, I had a bacon roll by my desk this morning. I have now had people in work referencing this article and saying that if people had "healthy breakfasts such as bananas and not bacon rolls" then they wouldn't have T2 diabetes! This makes me so mad! I normally have shredded wheat or egg for breakfast every day and just happen to eat a bacon roll on one occasion and people make remarks. I suffered a miscarriage last year and comments like this only add to the feeling of guilt and self blame that i carry around with me. Sorry for the rant but i am sick of ignorant comments!

Reactions: 2 people

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a T2 diabetic and i was diagnosed at 24 years of age. This article makes me so mad! I have always been 8 stone and healthy. My mother also has T2 Diabetes as does my auntie. Both are a healthy weight. My diabetes is believed to be due to genetics. I work hard every day to control my diabetes and my Hab1c is very good. Due to this article in the media, I have had people referencing in work today things that i eat. As a treat, I had a bacon roll by my desk this morning. I have now had people in work referencing this article and saying that if people had "healthy breakfasts such as bananas and not bacon rolls" then they wouldn't have T2 diabetes! This makes me so mad! I normally have shredded wheat or egg for breakfast every day and just happen to eat a bacon roll on one occasion and people make remarks. I suffered a miscarriage last year and comments like this only add to the feeling of guilt and self blame that i carry around with me. Sorry for the rant but i am sick of ignorant comments!

I was diagnosed at age 25, so close in age to you. I probably had diabetes undiagnosed for some time though I'd say. I know what you mean. People are so rude. But read the article Catherine posted... much better and this is the type of thing that should be said in the media.

Trachet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Curry. Rude people.
I have developed neovascular glaucoma due to T2 diabetes. I have lost the sight in my r eye and the l eye is not great. I like the International Glaucoma Association page on fb. They have just put up this post -
Almost one in eleven people globally are affected by diabetes, according to a World Health Organization (WHO) report. World Health Organization (WHO) Complications of diabetes can lead to sight loss. 'Through healthier eating, more physical activity, we could prevent most of these cases of diabetes,' said Dr Etienne Krug.
SCREAM!!!!!!!:banghead:

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Almost one in eleven people globally are affected by diabetes, according to a World Health Organization (WHO) report. World Health Organization (WHO) Complications of diabetes can lead to sight loss. 'Through healthier eating, more physical activity, we could prevent most of these cases of diabetes,' said Dr Etienne Krug.
SCREAM!!!!!!!:banghead:
Once again, what about that statement is incorrect?

When I read that statement, I don't automatically become offended because:
a) They used the word "most" which implies that there are exceptions.
b) The type of diabetes I have cannot be prevented with diet/exercise.

Conclusion: I can assume they are not talking about me. Therefore, I am not offended by that statement.

I would suggest you consider adopting a similar process of deductive reasoning to ensure you don't become upset about things that aren't offensive.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I read about the WHO report in the newspaper at the care home my dad is in, he was reading the headline. Funnily enough, most of the residents are of average size, slim, some are quite active, walking about. I have only seen one lady and one gentleman who are overweight, the gentleman is in a specially designed chair and has limited movement. They eat three meals a day, home cooked ie soup, cottage pie with two veg, curry, fish n' chips, roast dinner and then a pudding. Obviously others do have a liquid/pureed diet., or have special dietry needs. So a breakfast, dinner and then tea. Snacks of fruit in between meals, or if they want something else they can. Fruit juice is served and also hot beverages of tea and coffee.

Trachet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Curry. Rude people.
@TorqPenderloin I understand what you are saying but having struggled with weight issues my entire life and been hurt by lots of people that have judged me it is not easy to ignore the comments. Every illness I have had Drs have blamed my weight, including sinus and asthma problems. Most do not believe the amount of exercise I do.
I know it must be genetic as both brothers are diabetic. Maybe diabetes is the latest evil scourge the press can pick on. They have helped change people's attitude to smoking perhaps they think picking on diabetics or overweight people should be their next crusade. As I said being picked on for over 40 years it is not that easy to ignore.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@TorqPenderloin I understand what you are saying but having struggled with weight issues my entire life and been hurt by lots of people that have judged me it is not easy to ignore the comments. Every illness I have had Drs have blamed my weight, including sinus and asthma problems. Most do not believe the amount of exercise I do.
I know it must be genetic as both brothers are diabetic. Maybe diabetes is the latest evil scourge the press can pick on. They have helped change people's attitude to smoking perhaps they think picking on diabetics or overweight people should be their next crusade. As I said being picked on for over 40 years it is not that easy to ignore.
Totally agree with you. Mine isn't genetic. It's down to lifestyle . Not my choice though. I didn't choose to be depressed so that I just couldn't function and I didn't choose to have a lack of self worth due to being abused as a kid. I did choose to look after elderly parents and my 2 young sons though. So I guess that makes me a bad person. I didn't choose to be fat, it happened whilst I wasn't top on the list of my priorities. I did choose to follow all sorts of silly diets in order to lose weight (some of them given to me by my doctors) What really annoys me is the adverts that say fat people should exercise. Simple things like walking upstairs instead of taking the lifts. Do they really think we don't do those things already?

The difference between a slim T2 and a fat T2 is insulin resistance. The slim T2 hasn't done anything different, his/her body just hasn't got fat.

Trachet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Curry. Rude people.
Totally agree with you. I did choose to follow all sorts of silly diets in order to lose weight (some of them given to me by my doctors) What really annoys me is the adverts that say fat people should exercise. Simple things like walking upstairs instead of taking the lifts. Do they really think we don't do those things already?

The difference between a slim T2 and a fat T2 is insulin resistance. The slim T2 hasn't done anything different, their bodies just haven't got fat.
One GP, the one I was with when diagnosed blamed it all on my diet and then the masses of fruit juice I must have drunk (?) He said no biscuits or chocolate for you any more! I used to teach his wife piano in their home. Sometimes if he came home early I'd be there teaching. He'd make me a cuppa and then offer me biscuits!

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess you just have to try to do your best to look at it from a different perspective. This is not about picking on the people who don't have a choice. It's about helping the people who do have the possibility of avoiding diabetes.

-I had a family member pass away from lung cancer, yet she never smoked a day in her life. When I see a smoking/lung cancer campaign I know it's not about people like her.

-I have another family member who runs marathons, exercises regularly, excellent shape, and excellent diet, yet he's borderline pre-diabetic because it runs in our family (he the only one of four siblings who doesn't have type 2). When I see these kinds of statements about diabetes and lifestyle I know they're not talking about him.

-Then there's me. I'm not exempt from the occasional ignorant comment. People have told me about magical cures and volunteered opinions about why I developed (type 1) diabetes. I may not get it as frequently as some of you, but it still happens to me.

I will admit that I'm not very good about sugar coating things and offering pleasantries to people, but I try to do my part in helping to educate others and share what (little) I know. I could care less if people like me or not, but if I have the opportunity to help someone else, that means a lot to me. I figure that goes a lot further than complaining about all the things that are wrong with most peoples' understanding of diabetes.

Reactions: 6 people