Tips on remembering to check glucose levels before meals?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am 25 years old and for the past 3 or 4 years my sugars have run too high, with my a1c level at 9-10 each checkup. which is definitely my fault for not taking care of myself well. ..but I find it hard to remember and stay focused on checking my sugars multiple times a day. I want to get a continuous glucose monitor. But until then does any one have tips of how they remind themselves to do their blood sugar? Also giving insulin before I eat is hard to remember so tips on that are welcome as well!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Nina. At the risk of sounding bold, how can you not remember? Your organs, eyes, feet etc depend on it. Your levels are way too high and you need to take this more seriously. You have a food disease. Every time you eat food you need to remember that

Sorry if I don't sound companionate but I seriously don't understand how it slips your mind...... Diabetes can crippled you before it kills you. Not the life I want. I always remember

Reactions: 3 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I used to not test my bg or inject before I ate.. I didn't forgot.. I just didn't do it, I wasn't bothered.. Obviously an extremely bad stupid choice.. Then I realised I was being stupid and started testing and injecting exactly when supposed to.. It was choice not memory, if you do seriously struggle why not set an alarm?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think rather than remembering, you have to make it a default part of your routine so that you won't need to remember, you will just do it on auto pilot. It won't take long until it becomes just a thing that you do without needing to think about it, but to get there you do need to be strict with yourself, set alarms & don't let yourself get away with excuses.

I'm sure when you were little your mum would have to remind you to wash your hands after going to the loo. But there's no way you would think now I must "remember" to wash my hand, you just do without even thinking because that's how you do it.

You just need to think I test, I inject, I eat. They come as a package. Make a resolution, Be strict for a little while, set reminders in your phone, put post it notes on your fridge, tell people around you to help remind you & soon you'll just be doing it automatically.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I am 25 years old and for the past 3 or 4 years my sugars have run too high, with my a1c level at 9-10 each checkup. which is definitely my fault for not taking care of myself well. ..but I find it hard to remember and stay focused on checking my sugars multiple times a day. I want to get a continuous glucose monitor. But until then does any one have tips of how they remind themselves to do their blood sugar? Also giving insulin before I eat is hard to remember so tips on that are welcome as well!

Hi, try and make your life and diabetes more of a priority now. Tie it all together as TIE :-
Test
Inject
Eat

Have notes or alarms on your mobile phone, on a calender, start a diary and look at what you need to do.
Good luck and all the best for a more positive, healthier life :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Get your crockery, place mat, table cloth & napkin emblazoned with test strip & needle graphics..
If I pick my fork up before the meter? My butler politely coughs to correct my error. ;)

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I leave a test kit on my dining table which helps a lot but, I must admit, I can still forget occasionally.:oops: