Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Health issues, uneducated doctors, and reality TV
Hello,

Has anyone had this happen to them.

This morning my BG upon waking was 93, which is good for me. I ate a LCHF breakfast, took my usual vitamins, but this time I added 1.5g of ascorbic acid powder. 1 hour later my BG was at 145, which is extremely high.

I was told to take 6g of vitamin C per day, and have been doing just fine on it, but it was the capsule form rose hips and acerola cherries.

Any idea why the powder would do this?

DanteNXS

DanteNXS

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hello,

This morning my BG upon waking was 93, which is good for me. I ate a LCHF breakfast, took my usual vitamins, but this time I added 1.5g of ascorbic acid powder. 1 hour later my BG was at 145, which is extremely high.

I was told to take 6g of vitamin C per day, and have been doing just fine on it, but it was the capsule form rose hips and acerola cherries.

DanteNXS

Update: My 2 hour BG was 102, which is very reassuring. So I guess no more vit c powder for a while.

DanteNXS

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Vitamin c raises me a bunch. I can't drink tea with rose hips either.
I am just curious as to why the capsules don't spike me, but the powder does. Could it be that the powder is not the natural form?

Hmmmmm

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure. I always used to powder and was shocked at the rise. I took capsules many years ago but was not testing BS then. Now I just stick to vitamin D. Everything else seems to be a **** shoot

DanteNXS

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well, I have an appointment with my functional doc on Monday, I'm sure he'll be able to shed some light on this.

Thanks for your feedback.

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Do you mind me asking where your function doctor is Dante? Thanks

Rita66

Hello,

DanteNXS
Hi Dante!
Have had the same problem like you. Should have to take also 6 to 10g of vitamin C per day what raised my BG in the first time to a realy high level. Then i spend a lot of time to search for a more natural Vitamin C and at least i found and tried it.
I was very surprised as the new Vitamin C i found didnt raised my BG any longer. Since than i never changed my Vitamin C so i only can suggest you to have a look yourself on it.

Regards Rita

Last edited by a moderator:

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can buy a slow release form of Vit C. Holland & Barrett sell them. There is obviously something in the powder that is a filling agent that causes the problem???

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
you may find this video interesting if you have large doses of Vit C

The presenter is a doctor of medicine who focuses on nutrition as the first line of defence, rather than reaching for the prescription pad at the drop of a hat. :)