Not open for further replies.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
It does appear that some people's heads seem to explode when vegetarian diets are mentioned.
It's a perfectly acceptable diet, and ridicule isn't necessary, or even acceptable.
And it seems to work for those that choose to do it, and seems to work very well.
I really do not think anyone is attacking vegetarian diets per se. I see no exploding heads.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I really do not think anyone is attacking vegetarian diets per se. I see no exploding heads.

That's good to see, I prefer vegetarian, , but not strictly as such for moral reasons. So I will go vege, then try to keep to unsaturated options., then go for meat.
Purely as it seems to be best, as I said, not because I have a moral viewpoint.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
That's good to see, I prefer vegetarian, , but not strictly as such for moral reasons. So I will go vege, then try to keep to unsaturated options., then go for meat.
Purely as it seems to be best, as I said, not because I have a moral viewpoint.
Understood. Like all of us, you must follow the diet that works best for you.

Take care

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My thoughts also
emoji15.png

I studied Andreaz Mortiz book with title of 'no more diabetes ' and fallo
My thoughts also

Hi there
I just had birthday party and ate cake 7:30pm and i check my sugar level 9:30pm, it was 6.4.
Why we dont try to cure ,

1 teaspoon Amla powder in the morning empty stomach.
Really helped me in the beginning

Apple cider Vinger in glass of water before every dinner.

CINNAMON TEA AFTER DINNER.
I USED TO TAKE THEM NOW I DONT TAKE ANY ABOVE STUFF.
FROM LAST MONTH I HAVE NO MORE SYMPTOMS.

I READ ANDREAZ MORTIZ BOOK AND CHANGE MY HABITS.

S

serenity648

Hi there
I just had birthday party and ate cake 7:30pm and i check my sugar level 9:30pm, it was 6.4.

I understand that you have no more symptoms, and you blood sugar level are now normal. That is great. However, if you continue to eat food high in carbs, your blood sugar level will creep up again, and you will be back in the diabetic range. I am so sorry, but this doesnt go away forever. You are in remission. You have done really well. But your body is still capable of returning to diabetic levels.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
It is good that you have found a diet that works for you to manage your diabetes. Other people have had excellent results from carbohydrate restriction (such as the Newcastle Diet) and other methods of diabetes management.

I hope that you remain as a member of the Forum to hear about the achievements of others. Please remember that we are all different and our bodies react differently to foods.

Take care

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Diabetes easycure - what were your original numbers when diagnosed? Were you told you were type 2 based on diagnostic tests such as the GAD test and c-peptide test?, or was it just the hbA1c that was done? You say you've cured yourself but you haven't mentioned where you started from. Before we know you may have had what is called pre-diabetic numbers which isn't a huge drop in numbers to be within normal range. If you're able to eat cake and be 6.5 mmol post meal I'd question whether you were diabetic in the first place.... although maybe you only ate a mouthful or two of the cake as well which wouldn't make your sugar rise too much.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Diabetes easycure - what were your original numbers when diagnosed? Were you told you were type 2 based on diagnostic tests such as the GAD test and c-peptide test?, or was it just the hbA1c that was done? You say you've cured yourself but you haven't mentioned where you started from. Before we know you may have had what is called pre-diabetic numbers which isn't a huge drop in numbers to be within normal range. If you're able to eat cake and be 6.5 mmol post meal I'd question whether you were diabetic in the first place.... although maybe you only ate a mouthful or two of the cake as well which wouldn't make your sugar rise too much.

I don't have a sweet tooth, so haven't tried the "cake test" myself, but others have. Springing immediately to mind are @andcol and @Pipp , who have both demonstrated their abilities to consume very much "normal food", including cakes. Maybe they'll comment.

I would however agree that anyone reaching an excellent place with their T2 diabetes; whatever they choose to call that state, that they must remain vigilant as for a number of reasons it can recur.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hi there

@Diabetes easycure ,
Not sure if you want advice, or opinion, but I give it anyway, as this is also for others who may be reading..
I really admire you enthusiasm and desire to inform. It is still quite recently that you were diagnosed. You are fairly young for a diagnosis, but with youth on your side it is possible that you have indeed been fortunate, and stopped further depletion of your pancreatic function.
That you are able to eat cake without apparent increase in your blood glucose beyond diabetic level looks promising. I have been in a similar position. Note the past tense. It is almost 5 years since I 'reversed' my T2, using the Newcastle diet methodology. This is extreme calorie reduction. (Not, as mentioned by someone else in this thread low carb). What I have found in intervening years is that there has been a very small but gradual increase in HbA1c. Still not enough to take me into diabetic range, or even pre-diabetic range, but I fear it is slowly edging that way as I age. So, I found I am able to eat a considerable amount of carb food without obvious immediate spikes in BG, but there has to be something going on with the gradual increase in HbA1c.

The reason I am mentioning all this? I would advise caution about believing you have seen the last of diabetes blood levels. Also advise not to get complacent and use a meter to test regularly, particularly after high carb foods. Remain vigilant because diabetes is a sneaky so and so, that can catch you unawares.

I really hope you remain well.

Reactions: 7 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Simply because what might have worked for you, will not work for everyone. Been said often enough
I think it is the expession 'I cured my diabetes, so anyone can' that has annoyed people so much.
It reinforces the stereotypical view that T2 is a self inflicted condition due to poor lifestyle choices, that so many of us have thrown at us regularly.

Reactions: 4 people

EdMac

However, if you continue to eat food high in carbs, your blood sugar level will creep up again, and you will be back in the diabetic range. I am so sorry, but this doesnt go away forever. You are in remission. You have done really well. But your body is still capable of returning to diabetic levels.
Many people who haven't ever exhibited diabetic symptoms will find that one day, with continued 'abuse' of carb heavy food, they will exhibit diabetic symptoms and eventually be diagnosed as Type 2 Diabetic. Following your logic, even though they have never been diagnosed as diabetic their potential to become diabetic means they are currently only in remission.

Reactions: 4 people

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Many people who haven't ever exhibited diabetic symptoms will find that one day, with continued 'abuse' of carb heavy food, they will exhibit diabetic symptoms and eventually be diagnosed as Type 2 Diabetic. Following your logic, even though they have never been diagnosed as diabetic their potential to become diabetic means they are currently only in remission.
I am not sure how you work that out. You can only go into remission from something you have not from something you might get. People with cancer can go into remission but people without cancer cannot. Simple definition of remission: a period of time during a serious illness when the patient's health improves.

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well most, if not all, of us on the forum don't just sit on our hands and do nothing about our diabetes, that's for sure. The best most of us can hope is to be able control it well, and some of us - however hard they might try - will never be able to even manage this - their bodies just can't work correctly, and for them no amount of avoiding meat, eating certain vegetables, drinking magic snake oil, or praying to the new moon, whatever... will ever permanentlyfix their diabetes for them. So don't tell them they can do the impossible...

For the most part I can manage my diabetes well with a low carb higher fat diet, but I won't kid myself that I can ever cure myself.

You've
probably been very lucky, but please come back in 12 month, then five years time and tell us if you're still cured then.

Robbity

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Please do not use the word 'abuse'. It reinforces the incorrect stereotype that T2s deserve their condition.

It is not 'abuse' to eat carbs in modern society. It is encouraged by health care professionals and dieticians and the media. Besides, not everyone who develops T2 eats a lot of carbs. And not everyone who eats a lot of carbs develops T2.

My own situation is a perfect example. I have been low carbing for about 30 years now (because carbs made me feel ill), but I nevertheless slipped gradually into type 2. It took about 25 years, but as my endocrinologist has said 'we knew it was going to happen, we just didn't know when'.

This is why I first posted in this thread. If I had eaten the vegetarian high fruit diet promoted by the original poster, I would have become diabetic earlier, rather than holding it off as long as I did.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

Stallen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Grumpy folk
On the vegetarian diet, I was diagnosed diabetic, as a vegetarian, I will continue to be a vegetarian and die a vegetarian hopefully that'll be in the long distant future, vegetarianism is certainly not likely to be the savour of the diabetic world, not in mine anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 10 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
@Osidge

i think what @EdMac means is that until you cross the line into being diagnosed, you can criss-cross the line of being diabetic many times, If I had not been diagnosed in 2008, my BG would maybe not have been diagnosed as diabetic, mybe only prediabetic, as my previous BG checks had never triggeredan alarm.

Reactions: 2 people

EdMac

I am not sure how you work that out. You can only go into remission from something you have not from something you might get. People with cancer can go into remission but people without cancer cannot. Simple definition of remission: a period of time during a serious illness when the patient's health improves.
That's the point Osidge - personally I think the word remission is being incorrectly applied when someone is no longer exhibiting a diabetic function. If you go into remission from, for example, non hogkins lymphoma it means the cancer is dormant - but your body still has lymphoma's - the cancer is still present just not active.

With diabetes what is it that remains when the body function returns to normal? It isn't like a virus it's a decsription of a state the body enters when organ function deteriorates. When function returns the state changes and the word diabetic is no longer a fit for the present function.

This is not remission any more than a wet towel that dries in the sun can still be considered wet because it has the potential to become wet at some point in the future.

I understand that some people find it helpful to adopt an identity level description for something they have to continue to pay attention to which in reality is their behaviour with respect to diet.

Clearly here we're talking about people who recover completely normal responses to any of their dietary choices not those who only maintain normal ranges in response to low carb.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
With diabetes what is it that remains
Well for me I suspect it would be the Retinopathy and the Peripheral neuropathy if they where not to go away then I would not be asymptomatic and could not consider my self as in remission or cured.

S

serenity648

That's the point Osidge - personally I think the word remission is being incorrectly applied when someone is no longer exhibiting a diabetic function. If you go into remission from, for example, non hogkins lymphoma it means the cancer is dormant - but your body still has lymphoma's - the cancer is still present just not active.

With diabetes what is it that remains when the body function returns to normal? It isn't like a virus it's a decsription of a state the body enters when organ function deteriorates. When function returns the state changes and the word diabetic is no longer a fit for the present function.

This is not remission any more than a wet towel that dries in the sun can still be considered wet because it has the potential to become wet at some point in the future.

I understand that some people find it helpful to adopt an identity level description for something they have to continue to pay attention to which in reality is their behaviour with respect to diet.

Clearly here we're talking about people who recover completely normal responses to any of their dietary choices not those who only maintain normal ranges in response to low carb.

I have an altered response to gucose. That is a fact. Many people do not have that altered response. So yes, it is remission from the diabetes, but the potential is still there, all the time. The body function doesnt return to normal, I influence my glucose to create the appearance of normality. But if i didnt influence my sugar levels I would be diabetic. That is the difference. I dont go back to being a person with a body which uses carbs normally. The potential never goes away.

To use the wet towel illustration - non diabetics (or potential diabetics) have a coating on their towel to stop them retaining water, they absorb the water, it sheers off, the towel remains dry.

My towel absorbs moisture and becomes wet. The more moisture is gets, the soggier it becomes. If i dry it out (non-diabetic levels) it still retains that ability to absorb the water as it hasnt got a special keep-dry coating. But if the word remission bothers you, maybe look at the medical definition of it:
re·mis·sion
(rē-mish'ŭn),
1. Abatement or lessening in severity of the symptoms of a disease.
2. The period during which such abatement occurs.
[L. remissio, fr. re-mitto, pp. -missus, to send back, slacken, relax]

which is what is happening. The symptoms are reduced or removed, but the potential for them to recurr exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.