Low carb diet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am surprised that you haven't had a load of different opinions on this subject since posters on this site range from zero upwards. The answer is whatever you set for yourself. If you are in trouble with spikes or an Hba1c that is too high then low carb is ...lower than it was before.

Think of a number and try to stick to it. What about 100g/day and see if you can do that then lower it if you want to.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How many carbs a day to be on a low carb diet?

I think it depends which side of the fence you're on.

On here it ranges from zero if you're doing it, to 'less than the recommended amount on the eatwell plate' if you are claiming another's successful diet is due to it being 'low carb'. ;)

How many do you eat?

sammy1998

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've got an app that adds it up for me. Roughly around 120 a day. Stuck to a low carb diet a few years ago and lost loads of weight. Not sure how many carbs I had a day. Don't seem to be able to loose weight anymore

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I've eaten very few carbs today but the amount of calories I've eaten from other sources of food probably mean I have put on weight rather than taking it off as I'm supposed to do. But my blood sugars are in the normal range. That is I think lowering carbohydrate intake will help control blood sugars but not necessarily help with with weight loss unless you watch what else you are eating.

Magisham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We just go as low as we can, but if we have a couple of extras here and there we just deal with the consequences.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would go as low as you need to, to feel well, keep your bg under control and manage to sustain it indefinitely. Which is a really vague answer. I am sorry.

To start with, just pick a number. 100? 50? 20? Do it for 2 weeks.
If everything is working, and you are happy, then add a few grams carbs (say 5g/day) every week until you stop being feeling fine, or your bg increases.
If you don't feel fine, then you need to drop lower. Keep dropping, bit by bit, til you DO feel fine, and your bg is on target.
That is your current personal carb limit.
Then eat to it.

simple as that. :)

I love very low carb, and my body likes it, but we live in the real world, and why would anyone go lower than they have to? There are a lot of nice carby foods out there, so enjoy them if you can - just bear in mind that blood glucose control comes first, because if your bg is uncontrolled you may be doing yourself long term harm, and that will mean you can tolerate fewer carbs in future. Or you will need meds. Or more meds. Or both.

It is just a question of balance. :)

Reactions: 4 people