what do you do when vomiting and no appetite

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Everyone

I've been dealing with a migraine this last few days and nausea has been bad this time. I wound up in ER yesterday afternoon taken by ambulance because my BP was too high and I couldn't keep my meds down so the pain was just escalating along with the vomiting.

What is your usual plan of attack when you have no appetite and either you have or you are vomiting? It does unnerve me taking insulin when like this because if I throw the food back up I've bolus'd for then I have to try and drink or eat again.

I haven't eaten much since yesterday so I've been bolus'g real low instead.

When I was at ER my BGL was over 11 the entire time and I hadn't easten for 7 hours or so.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi Everyone

I've been dealing with a migraine this last few days and nausea has been bad this time. I wound up in ER yesterday afternoon taken by ambulance because my BP was too high and I couldn't keep my meds down so the pain was just escalating along with the vomiting.

What is your usual plan of attack when you have no appetite and either you have or you are vomiting? It does unnerve me taking insulin when like this because if I throw the food back up I've bolus'd for then I have to try and drink or eat again.

I haven't eaten much since yesterday so I've been bolus'g real low instead.

When I was at ER my BGL was over 11 the entire time and I hadn't easten for 7 hours or so.

So sorry to hear that Mep, a couple of years ago I had bad accident, I was prescribed Tramadol for complications that set, but it made me so sick, vomiting. One whole day I was so, so sick and my BS was very high, so I didn't eat anything until the evening and then only a tiny amount, so I hadn't eaten since the night before, it would of been about 6 or 7 pm. then. Sip water if you can and keep testing as much as you can too. Take care

Reactions: 4 people

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
So sorry to hear that Mep, a couple of years ago I had bad accident, I was prescribed Tramadol for complications that set, but it made me so sick, vomiting. One whole day I was so, so sick and my BS was very high, so I didn't eat anything until the evening and then only a tiny amount, so I hadn't eaten since the night before, it would of been about 6 or 7 pm. then. Sip water if you can and keep testing as much as you can too. Take care

I still have no appetite and problem is I have meds I'm supposed to take with food... well one in particular... baclofen. It's not a drug I can just stop. If I take it without food it makes me worse.

So I tried some soggy cereal at lunch to get it down.... may need to try something like that again for dinner dosage.

Reactions: 2 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Lots of testing, lots of water, if you go low then lucozade. Main thing is making sure bg levels ok and you're hydrated. Get well soon :)

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I usually take Metoclopramide 10mg. I think you can get this in suppository and it does come as a syrup. It will stop vomiting and is effective. It is a Prescription Only Medicine in the UK. Appetite resumption is different, you need to find out the cause. :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

I still have no appetite and problem is I have meds I'm supposed to take with food... well one in particular... baclofen. It's not a drug I can just stop. If I take it without food it makes me worse.

So I tried some soggy cereal at lunch to get it down.... may need to try something like that again for dinner dosage.

Could you mange something like scrambled egg, or poached eggs Mep ?

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I should say my BP is still too high.... but I think it's just a response to how I feel. Oh yes tramadol I can't tolerate either... you poor thing.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually take Metoclopramide 10mg. I think you can get this in suppository and it does come as a syrup. It will stop vomiting and is effective. It is a Prescription Only Medicine in the UK. Appetite resumption is different, you need to find out the cause. :)

Thanks, that is what I am taking. The dosage is wearing off before 8 hour though and it doesn't seem to be helping my BP either. I've taken painkillers, but can only take so much of those.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Could you mange something like scrambled egg, or poached eggs Mep ?
yeh well see if I can get that down... I'm not sure about toast though as tried that last night and only managed half a slice. Trying to just have a bit of carb with the meal. I'm not sure what else I can tolerate at the moment.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sipping on a camomile tea to see if that will help my BP and spasms

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Two months ago I was vomiting after eating, feeling pain after eating too. I had a endoscopy and I had gastritis and a gastic ulcer. I was prescribed Esomeprazole 80mg a day and Metoclopramide 30mg daily. It has resolved and I am eating well. My GP has told me not to take and not to be prescribed any NSAID like Ibuprofen etc as my stomach is prone to corrosion. :)

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks, that is what I am taking. The dosage is wearing off before 8 hour though and it doesn't seem to be helping my BP either. I've taken painkillers, but can only take so much of those.
Tried Cyclizine ? It's a powerful anti-emetic and can be done by injection if you can't hold food down. I had it in hospital and last a long time. It's potent and is usually given to chemotherapy patients. :)

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I get off the doctor and from the hospital metoclopramide hydrochloride 10mg tablets to stop the sickness and dizziness and I also use Topiramate 25 mg tablets for the migraines as I have had them for a couple of years and the worst ones are the ocular or the flashing lights in your eyes

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok I just rang the hospital trying to get my urine test results as they never gave them to me. They said I have to come back to ER especially if my BP is still too high. argghh

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have low blood pressure which is different to high blood pressure as you go light headed as if you are going to pass out as the only time I had high blood pressure was when I was diagnosed as a diabetic in 94 which was like having a vice stuck to my head it was that bad but I was on tablets for that for a couple of months and I have never been back on them since.

But I have been in hospital for sickness earlier last month but for a couple of hours and sent home and I am fine now and eating everything I can get my hands on as I am on a high fat diet as lost to much weight in the last few years and had a few tests in case of cancer but it wasn't which is great as my mum died with that and I know what pain and everything else she went through was tough on me.

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
All you need to watch out for is ketones in your water as you pass it otherwise you should be fine

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I wound up back at the same ER. They said my BP was too high (emergency level is anything over 180/100 apparently and I was over that). So they gave me meds and monitored me. The doc at one point wanted to give me a benzo and told me I can get a taxi home and come and pick up my car tomorrow. I said sorry but I'm not getting a taxi after taking a benzo as goodness knows what I'll say and if I'll know where I'm going. Plus I said it will be an expensive exercise when I have my car in your carpark and can drive home (only live about 15-20 mins or so from the hospital). So in the end the doc finally registered that my safety was important too and wanted me to take a benzo when I got home instead. I actually got horne and completely forgot about it and went to bed. I have to stay home for a couple of days though on docs orders. I'm going to try and see my own GP if I can as the doc at ER reckons I should be taking more blood pressure meds when sick and experiencing high BP.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I get off the doctor and from the hospital metoclopramide hydrochloride 10mg tablets to stop the sickness and dizziness and I also use Topiramate 25 mg tablets for the migraines as I have had them for a couple of years and the worst ones are the ocular or the flashing lights in your eyes

That's I think the one I had... started with flashing lights and I couldn't tolerate light as well. Pain behind my right eye and nerve pain over my scalp (hurt to touch my right side of my head). Left eye with blurry vision. A lot of nausea. Do you get the same?

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes that is what I get and I go to sleep when I get the pain in the head after I take the tablets and feel fine after a couple of hours