High and low and feeling awful

paulpapa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all

Can anyone have a look at my readings and see where I'm going wrong?

I'm waking up high in the morning. Last night I had some cheese before bed and it clearly spiked me up massively. I was too worried to inject as I was in a good place and didn't want to go hypo in bed.

I've increased my basal rate to 35u at 8am and the same at 8pm. I think I need more basal on board because of the rise in the night.

I think I will also try to inject before meals again (hard at work when you're in a classroom!) as that helped I feel and wait four hours between meals and injections.

I'm trying so many different things but it's not working. I've tried low carb days in the week - admittingly the weekend is usually my undoing with food. I'm just feeling so deflated but it all. And my work isn't supportive at all.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zxnvnerpol98bet/PP_2016_05_10(1).pdf?dl=0

Thank you

P

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@paulpapa I've had a look at that set of data and I can understand your frustrations. It really is all over the place.

Just reviewing it, there are three things that I can see.
  1. You aren't applying a consistent Insulin:Carb ratio at all for the same time on different days or for different times on the same day. This means you are unlikely to be getting consistent results.
  2. I assume you are using Levemir given your dosing and timing. For the most part overnight it actually looks okay. During the day, it looks like you might have too much Levemir during the day as your pattern shows that you typically trend downwards throughout the day.
  3. It looks like you tend to eat quite late, and with incorrect I:C ratios, you're probably getting the results of that.
You might want to go back to basics. Basal test, then look at I:C ratios, and try to eat similar foods at consistent times without snacking in between to see what impact these have on you.

I don't think there's anything else you can do. If you need any information on the above, I'm happy to post it.

paulpapa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you for your reply.

Oh yes, I feel awful most of the time.

Okay, I'll stick to the same C:I ratio with my meals and see what happens with today's increased basal. I think you're right, it's likely too much as it dips downwards. Do you think it's going up while I sleep as I'm going to bed too high?

It's tough with dinner, as I work quite late so I usually eat at 7:30 or 8 at night, but I'll try to eat earlier if I can.

Thank you :)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Do you think it's going up while I sleep as I'm going to bed too high?
Most nights it doesn't go up at all (look at the week 13-19 April) - mostly flat 00.00 to 06.00 and the same on many other days.

You seem to get a massive rise from 8pm on many days, and depending on where you start, it results in a variety of end points. What it points to is that your evening meal has totally the wrong insulin:carb ratio as you go up and rarely come down from it. From 27th April to 8th May you see this every evening.

On some days you also see what appears to be dawn phenomenon, however this is not always happening.

On 9th May, you did something different and this result in a flatter entry into bedtime followed by what looks like dawn phenomenon.

As I said, in this case, I'd go back to basics and basal test first. Then review your I:C ratios. They may be different at different times of the day, but you need to systematically approach checking them.