Metformin plus 1 = success!

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi guys,
I just thought that I'd share something.
I have had real difficulty getting any sort of stability with my blood sugars and for the last 6 months they have been stuck at around 12 - 14 (agh!)
Anyway, new doctor last week, who actually took me seriously.
As well as 4 x 500mg metformin daily I am now also taking one little tiny glymiperide (excuse the spelling)
Testing on the second day and ... AND ...
6.8!
Yesterday 7,2
Today 6. 8
I was very reluctant to take another tablet, especially as I thought I'd been told that this one doesn't help weight loss.
However, I can say that, for the first time in months I feel quite a bit better in myself - you know how at times you just "don't feel well" but can't explain how?
So, I hope this might encourage others who are finding it difficult - a new pair of medical eyes can really be a help.
Take care all.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
It's always good to hear good news.

Take care.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi guys,
I just thought that I'd share something.
I have had real difficulty getting any sort of stability with my blood sugars and for the last 6 months they have been stuck at around 12 - 14 (agh!)
Anyway, new doctor last week, who actually took me seriously.
As well as 4 x 500mg metformin daily I am now also taking one little tiny glymiperide (excuse the spelling)
Testing on the second day and ... AND ...
6.8!
Yesterday 7,2
Today 6. 8
I was very reluctant to take another tablet, especially as I thought I'd been told that this one doesn't help weight loss.
However, I can say that, for the first time in months I feel quite a bit better in myself - you know how at times you just "don't feel well" but can't explain how?
So, I hope this might encourage others who are finding it difficult - a new pair of medical eyes can really be a help.
Take care all.
There really can be light at the end of the tunnel. Isn't it wonderful to suddenly realise that you do actually have control of something that seemed to be ungraspable. I too am on 4x 500mg Met, but I am taking Gliclazide. I see you are not a Newbie, but big Hi anyway. Good news.

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There really can be light at the end of the tunnel. Isn't it wonderful to suddenly realise that you do actually have control of something that seemed to be ungraspable. I too am on 4x 500mg Met, but I am taking Gliclazide. I see you are not a Newbie, but big Hi anyway. Good news.
Thanks for your reply.
I don't get on the site as much as I used to - or as I'd like to - but its always very encouraging when someone replies to your post. Is the Gliclazide working well for you?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your reply.
I don't get on the site as much as I used to - or as I'd like to - but its always very encouraging when someone replies to your post. Is the Gliclazide working well for you?
Yes, so far so good. My bgl is just where I want it., and I have just reduced my Gliclazide by 25%. I anticipate that some more fine tuning will yield a further 25% cut. I am using LCHF diet, and it has also helped. The problem with Gliclazide is that I am currently bouncing around the lower limits, so I need to stabilize, which is happening gradually as I get my meals sorted. I also want to reduce the dose since Gliclazide is possibly overworking my pancreas, so I need to continue to try to reduce my IR, so that I need less insulin to be generated in the first place.

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, so far so good. My bgl is just where I want it., and I have just reduced my Gliclazide by 25%. I anticipate that some more fine tuning will yield a further 25% cut. I am using LCHF diet, and it has also helped. The problem with Gliclazide is that I am currently bouncing around the lower limits, so I need to stabilize, which is happening gradually as I get my meals sorted. I also want to reduce the dose since Gliclazide is possibly overworking my pancreas, so I need to continue to try to reduce my IR, so that I need less insulin to be generated in the first place.

You seem to be doing well. Experience counts! I understand about getting the meals sorted. I wish I could find a dozen meals which really worked for me and I could alternate them for a month while I get myself sorted! Thanks for reply, good to talk.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You seem to be doing well. Experience counts! I understand about getting the meals sorted. I wish I could find a dozen meals which really worked for me and I could alternate them for a month while I get myself sorted! Thanks for reply, good to talk.
Good Plan there. I have a log of good meals, avoid meals and ones to repeat with different portions or different ingredients to try to work out what caused a higher than expected result. This can be where I suspect anoverdose of protein.

Typical example, I twice tried a ham salad, and it spiked me twice. Tried it one more time, but with smaller portion of ham, and it was ok. Now I know too much ham can be bad for me.