Help us out with a diabetes awareness competition!

timodew

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello everyone!
We are taking part in a competition in Belgium for the national diabetes association. For this competition we are gathering as much pictures of diabetics wearing blue clothes (shirt, tanktop, sweater…) whilst they are holding a white piece of paper or cardboard with the follow text written on it: “Don’t let diabetes take over your dreams!” as possible. If you want to add a subtle touch to the picture involving diabetes (like an insulin pump, a meter…) you can do so. The pictures will be used in a short movie that will be displayed around the country to raise awareness around diabetes.

You can send your pictures and possible questions to [email protected]

Thanks a lot in advance!
Timo and Lauren

Reactions: 2 people

timodew

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Why blue? And would you be wanting pictures of those of us without any Belgian blood?
We would like to gather all the pictures we can get and make a collage with these pictures and create the diabetes blue circle, hence the blue :) We will then put this collage at the end of a short video where we will interview people about their diabetes and how this affected their lifes and dreams. And of course we would like some none Belgian diabetics as well, diabetes is something that occurs worldwide so we would like to get as many nationalities as possible!

timodew

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Going to ask the question again because:

I'm not Belgian

and

Blue means depressed to Americans, don't know about you Belgians. Myself, I do not feel blue about being diabetic. It is only my reality now, like acquiring grey hair.
We are looking for pictures from all over the world, so non-Belgians can also send in their pictures :) And we choose blue because this seen worldwide as the color of diabetes, as can be found on the website of the international diabetes federation:
The blue border of the circle reflects the colour of the sky and the flag of the United Nations. The United Nations is in itself a symbol of unity amongst nations and is the only organization that can signal to governments everywhere that it is time to fight diabetes and reverse the global trends that will impede economic development and cause so much suffering and premature death.
The logo we would like to create is the following
Blue-circle-200px.jpg

C

catherinecherub

The blue circle is the universal symbol for diabetes. Until 2006, there was no global symbol for diabetes. The purpose of the symbol is to give diabetes a common identity. It aims to:

• Support all existing efforts to raise awareness about diabetes
  • Inspire new activities, bring diabetes to the attention of the general public
  • Brand diabetes
  • Provide a means to show support for the fight against diabetes www.idf.org/bluecircle

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh I always thought Blue Circle was a type of cement.......

Edit: not since 2001 apparently, so I'm only 15 years out of date. Still remember those bags though....

Last edited by a moderator:

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @timodew
great topic and I shall be looking for a blue t-shirt in my drawer to get a pic posted for you

hope you get a lot of support from us here in the UK :)

timodew

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @timodew
great topic and I shall be looking for a blue t-shirt in my drawer to get a pic posted for you

hope you get a lot of support from us here in the UK :)
Thanks a lot! :D Don't forget to tell other diabetics about this if you wouldn't mind, the more pictures we get from all over the world the better!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
DSCF1308.JPG

emailed to you a short while ago

all the best !!

Reactions: 3 people