Driving a van.

Phoebe2004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Folks, long time no see!!
My husband is looking at getting a van for us as he is a wheel chair user and it would be easier for us to get him in and out.
He is looking at the VW T5 or the Mercedes Vito or sprinter type thing! I am not particularly car orientated!!!
I am just wanting to make sure that with a full licence as a type 1, that I am allowed to drive something this size.
I think I have checked the weights correctly, but was just looking for a little reassurance.
Does anyone else drive one?
Thank you.

encore1332

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not nice stuff
Depends when you passed your driving test, but if the van doesnt go over 3.5 tones you are fine. the limit used to be about 7 tones but was reduced in 2000s sometime . VW t5 is ok. Mercedes sprinters seem to come in several sizes the larger ones are above that weight limit. Used to work in a garage and had to check some of the Mercedes sprinters for the weight.

Reactions: 2 people

Phoebe2004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Depends when you passed your driving test, but if the van doesnt go over 3.5 tones you are fine. the limit used to be about 7 tones but was reduced in 2000s sometime . VW t5 is ok. Mercedes sprinters seem to come in several sizes the larger ones are above that weight limit. Used to work in a garage and had to check some of the Mercedes sprinters for the weight.
Apparently I passed in 1990- my how time flies!!! Thank you that's really useful.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A T5 or Vito/Sprinter could be a bit big.
They're ok, but you need a fair amount of room, and you're looking at possibly a wheelchair lift for that size.

The Kangoo, or Berlingo are worth a look, they're much more car sized, good car park access, and you can get a second hand wheelchair adapted one for not a lot of money, with a ramp rather than lift.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Hi Folks, long time no see!!
My husband is looking at getting a van for us as he is a wheel chair user and it would be easier for us to get him in and out.
He is looking at the VW T5 or the Mercedes Vito or sprinter type thing! I am not particularly car orientated!!!
I am just wanting to make sure that with a full licence as a type 1, that I am allowed to drive something this size.
I think I have checked the weights correctly, but was just looking for a little reassurance.
Does anyone else drive one?
Thank you.
WRT Sprinters, if the model is 3XX(e.g. 316 or 311) then it is a 3.5 tonner and drivable on a ordinary class B if it is higher than 3 then it would need a "bigger" licence. I beleive the Vito is a 1xx or 2xx so OK for a class b.

Phoebe2004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A T5 or Vito/Sprinter could be a bit big.
They're ok, but you need a fair amount of room, and you're looking at possibly a wheelchair lift for that size.

The Kangoo, or Berlingo are worth a look, they're much more car sized, good car park access, and you can get a second hand wheelchair adapted one for not a lot of money, with a ramp rather than lift.

Thank you, the Kangoo and Berlingo are a bit too small as we have two dogs too!! It all stacks up when you are trying to go places!!! But thank you for your thoughts.

Phoebe2004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
WRT Sprinters, if the model is 3XX(e.g. 316 or 311) then it is a 3.5 tonner and drivable on a ordinary class B if it is higher than 3 then it would need a "bigger" licence. I beleive the Vito is a 1xx or 2xx so OK for a class b.

Thank you, I had a feeling that they were getting towards that size. Just need to be careful I suppose. I'm sure we can get help nearer the time. That's brilliant.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you, the Kangoo and Berlingo are a bit too small as we have two dogs too!! It all stacks up when you are trying to go places!!! But thank you for your thoughts.

Yes, the dogs make a difference.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Thank you, I had a feeling that they were getting towards that size. Just need to be careful I suppose. I'm sure we can get help nearer the time. That's brilliant.
@Phoebe2004,
Don't forget that the VW Crafter is the same as a Merc Sprinter!

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
@Phoebe2004
I am in the same market as you as I need to replace my self build camper van with an auto version due to my wife's hip.

Reactions: 3 people

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We had a T5 when they first came out, it was a special conversion called a 'Sports 7' and it was brilliant, it had a tiny little cooker and sink so perfect as a day van. We had one wheelchair place and 3 other seats in the back, the ramp was in the side door, slung under the van, but it was aluminium and lightweight, I could manage it easily. We actually bought it through a VW agency but it was a conversion. I'll see if I can find the company that did it, I'm a hoarder, might still have the documents somewhere.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We have a Renault Master panel van converted into a motorhome and I drive that (only when I absolutely have to though!). It's about 2.5 tons and its max loaded weight is 3.5 tons, which makes it fine on an ordinary license. You do have to make sure you don't go over that max weight though, but luckily we travel light. It's an automatic, not particularly what we wanted, but was a good deal at the time. The good thing about a panel van is the two sets of doors providing wide access.

Phoebe2004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We had a T5 when they first came out, it was a special conversion called a 'Sports 7' and it was brilliant, it had a tiny little cooker and sink so perfect as a day van. We had one wheelchair place and 3 other seats in the back, the ramp was in the side door, slung under the van, but it was aluminium and lightweight, I could manage it easily. We actually bought it through a VW agency but it was a conversion. I'll see if I can find the company that did it, I'm a hoarder, might still have the documents somewhere.
Thank you, we don't need the camper stuff as I won't camp!!!! But the ramp and stuff is most helpful, thank you.