Very dry skin on one hand

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone. In the last weeks I've notice very dry skin on my right hand. Didn't care much, but tonight it started bleeding a bit between 2 fingers. I'm going to tell to my doctor tomorrow. For now using a body lotion on the hand. Did someone have similar issues? I have read that this might be related to diabetes.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi P17BULL,

I have the same problem. Diprobase (available at the chemist) is very effective, I find. It can be used easily on broken skin and rehydrates skin quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi P17BULL,

I have the same problem. Diprobase (available at the chemist) is very effective, I find. It can be used easily on broken skin and rehydrates skin quickly.

Hi, thanks for your answer. Since when are you having this problem?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I've had the problem since first falling ill with Type 1 Diabetes prior to diagnosis. Achieving good control with Diabetes has helped but skin splitting and bleeding on my hands has never fully gone away. I've tried lots of hand creams but Diprobase is the most effective for me at stopping the skin splitting and bringing my hands back to normal.

I believe it is very much to do with the diabetes.

I hope this helps

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm having the same sort of thing on the top of both my feet.. it's driving me crazy. I'm using aveeno at the moment trying to get it hydrated. But my skin has been getting drier than usual lately despite moisturising cream. I'm not sure if it has to do with any of my meds I'm on or what. I'm on bolus & basal insulin too.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @P17BULL what is your blood sugar doing at th moment? I find that high blood sugar can cause dry skin - high blood sugar levels makes you dehydrated - try to get your blood sugar under control, add some, not scented or coloured, moisturiser to the dry skin, &, by all means mention it to your doctor if you are seeing them tomorrow anyway.

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @catapillar. My blood sugar is moving between 85-160 but this problem started 1-2 months ago when I didn't know i was diabetic and had 470 blood glucose and maybe more.
@Mep I had dry skin UNDER my feet but this is getting better by bathing them in hot water at evening and using some cream at night.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 people

Colsey_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
To pit bull hi I have this its jst my left hand weird ain't it find out goin docs on Tuesday I'll let yas know if he enlightens me

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
My doctor just said it's not because of diabetes, but I don't believe him on this one :)
Anyway with creams seem to be getting better.

davej1950

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
TELL your GP you want a thyroid function test, Type 1 DM is an auto immune disease as are some types of hypo thyroidism, the two often go hand in hand, don't ask, TELL!

ickleowl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People asking my husband how I am, or what is wrong with me. It's my legs that don't work - the mouth & brain are still functioning normally
I was diagnosed Type II in 1998, and over the next few years my skin went from normal/oily to dry. I've been seeing the podiatrist and community nurses on a regular basis for years, and tried all of their suggestions, but couldn't get rid of it. Then I saw a different podiatrist, who suggested trying Emulsifying Ointment rather than the lotion, and for the first time in years, the rhino skin is beginning to disappear. It's been so bad for so long, it will take a while to clear up completely, but at least that light at the end of the tunnel is no longer the headlight of an oncoming train. She said it's a bit like lard in a tub, and that's a very good description, but what the heck - it works for me.
Sorry this sounds a bit like a cheesy advert, but it really is good stuff.
I've been told by many of the professionals I have seen along the road that I have diabetes to thank for the dry skin, ulcers, etc & I'm quite happy to believe them. I just wish I'd met that podiatrist way back when! :)

nietos3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was diagnosed Type II in 1998, and over the next few years my skin went from normal/oily to dry. I've been seeing the podiatrist and community nurses on a regular basis for years, and tried all of their suggestions, but couldn't get rid of it. Then I saw a different podiatrist, who suggested trying Emulsifying Ointment rather than the lotion, and for the first time in years, the rhino skin is beginning to disappear. It's been so bad for so long, it will take a while to clear up completely, but at least that light at the end of the tunnel is no longer the headlight of an oncoming train. She said it's a bit like lard in a tub, and that's a very good description, but what the heck - it works for me.
Sorry this sounds a bit like a cheesy advert, but it really is good stuff.
I've been told by many of the professionals I have seen along the road that I have diabetes to thank for the dry skin, ulcers, etc & I'm quite happy to believe them. I just wish I'd met that podiatrist way back when! :)
Hi I had the same problem and I used Bio Oil and it has worked a treat for me.

Russem

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone. In the last weeks I've notice very dry skin on my right hand. Didn't care much, but tonight it started bleeding a bit between 2 fingers. I'm going to tell to my doctor tomorrow. For now using a body lotion on the hand. Did someone have similar issues? I have read that this might be related to diabetes.
I have very dry skin also and was told years ago that it was because I am diabetic, type 1 for 40 years, my bloods are well controlled and have been on an insulin pump for 1 year. My GP gave me Diprobase cream on prescription and I just order it when it runs out.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

hi yes I was told it was related to DIABETES u just need to keep it moisturized and go see ur doctor for treatment in diabetes the wounds are slower to heal

Last edited by a moderator: