Fluoride tablets and endocrine problems

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I was just reading latest 'mail' from Dr. Mercola's website about fluoride... http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...n=20160517Z2&et_cid=DM105788&et_rid=148623016
...and it has woken up some childhood memories in me. I was a 'nipper' in 70's and I can remember my mother giving me those teeny little fluoride tablets to chew as part of my regular teeth care. Little did we know then and indeed I've only woken up the 'news' how much adverse effects fluoride really has! Fluoride being 'endocrine disruptor' AND 'interfering with glucose metabolism' got me thinking!!!! Having PCOS and not even started my 'female cycles' naturally..unlike other girls in same age...AND..becoming type 2 in my early 20's (probably been on pre-diabetes stage for long before that) makes me now wonder....could fluoride tablets messed up with my system as in our family we don't have any other diabetics at all..that's including uncles/aunties/cousins/grand parents...not in either parent's side of the family!!!

Obviously it is too late now, but I'm just curious..
SO....now I wonder...have many of you taken fluoride tablets in past and now having 'alarm bells' ringing with possible reason for your health issues?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Are these tablets any different from the fluoride added to our water and contained in toothpaste? I believe it was in the 60's when water fluoridation schemes first started in the UK but not all areas participate, and some areas have natural fluoride in the water. Also, many toothpastes contain it, with some brands having more than others. The amount added to the toothpaste is shown on the tube.

I suppose it is possible to overdose.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yup.

We had daily fluoride tablets throughout my childhood (as recommended by dentist)
Plus whatever fluoride we had in the tap water (no bottled water back in them days... lol)
Plus once a year we were given a Fluoride Treatment by dentist. This involved sitting for AGES with a vile flavoured gel soaking into our teeth while we bit onto a curved widget filled with said gel.

I have VERY STRONG TEETH (no fillings at all, aged 49yrs) but I do have Reactive Hypoglycaemia, PCOS, T2 and some seriously messed up hormones due to pituitry gland issues.

Overdosing on fluoride can result in mottled colouration on the teeth. I have this on the last of the big molars to come through at the back of my mouth. Presumably the excess fluoride has some kind of cumulative effect.

My parents genuinely believed that by giving fluoride they were doing my teeth good. And maybe they were - as I said, V strong teeth.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I ten
I was just reading latest 'mail' from Dr. Mercola's website about fluoride... http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...n=20160517Z2&et_cid=DM105788&et_rid=148623016
...and it has woken up some childhood memories in me. I was a 'nipper' in 70's and I can remember my mother giving me those teeny little fluoride tablets to chew as part of my regular teeth care. Little did we know then and indeed I've only woken up the 'news' how much adverse effects fluoride really has! Fluoride being 'endocrine disruptor' AND 'interfering with glucose metabolism' got me thinking!!!! Having PCOS and not even started my 'female cycles' naturally..unlike other girls in same age...AND..becoming type 2 in my early 20's (probably been on pre-diabetes stage for long before that) makes me now wonder....could fluoride tablets messed up with my system as in our family we don't have any other diabetics at all..that's including uncles/aunties/cousins/grand parents...not in either parent's side of the family!!!

Obviously it is too late now, but I'm just curious..
SO....now I wonder...have many of you taken fluoride tablets in past and now having 'alarm bells' ringing with possible reason for your health issues?
I tend to take whatever Dr Mercola says with large pinch of salt. It is only my opinion, but it keeps my sanity together.

Here in the UK they add fluoride to public water supplies by law, so in some areas no one escapes it. So we have 64 million residents of which some 10% are guinea pigs testing this. It may be behind T2 increase, but I have not seen any studies showing a link.

We could equally raise a query about baby formula causing our condition, except that I was never on the bottle. There is a theory going around that nitrous oxide from car exhaust causes T2D. Again, no evidence gets presented, its just a blog someone put out.
Edited to correct number of UK residents receiving artificially induced fluoridation in water.

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Are these tablets any different from the fluoride added to our water and contained in toothpaste? I believe it was in the 60's when water fluoridation schemes first started in the UK but not all areas participate, and some areas have natural fluoride in the water. Also, many toothpastes contain it, with some brands having more than others. The amount added to the toothpaste is shown on the tube.

I suppose it is possible to overdose.
I grew up in Finland and in 60's and 70's they didn't add fluoride into drinking water (well, I think they didn't...)but it was standard advise to give kids fluoride tablets to chew...(I assume it is same 'fluoride stuff' what ever form it comes from). Not only that, we used to have once a year check ups and dental 'education' from dentist. Every time you went to dentist..the appointment ended up with 'rinsing your mouth' and spitting into little bowl next to the dentist chair (don't get those these days anymore...)...'the rinse' included liquid fluoride as well! I can remember that water tasting 'funny' and we were told not to swallow!
Back in those early years in school...we had sink in back of the class room...on the wall there would be rack where each student had their own named tooth brushes and you were required to brush your teeth after lunch break....AND...every so often dentist would come and supply more of that 'funny tasting water' to rinse your mouths with....AND we had regularly 'pink teeth test'...:D..that was fun day..we had chew one of those 'dye tablets' that would reveal any 'stuck on dirt' that was missed during brushing.
I doubt there is such a effort put anymore for children teeth in schools now...but they did then!....maybe too much..:confused:

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Yup.

We had daily fluoride tablets throughout my childhood (as recommended by dentist)
Plus whatever fluoride we had in the tap water (no bottled water back in them days... lol)
Plus once a year we were given a Fluoride Treatment by dentist. This involved sitting for AGES with a vile flavoured gel soaking into our teeth while we bit onto a curved widget filled with said gel.

I have VERY STRONG TEETH (no fillings at all, aged 49yrs) but I do have Reactive Hypoglycaemia, PCOS, T2 and some seriously messed up hormones due to pituitry gland issues.

Overdosing on fluoride can result in mottled colouration on the teeth. I have this on the last of the big molars to come through at the back of my mouth. Presumably the excess fluoride has some kind of cumulative effect.

My parents genuinely believed that by giving fluoride they were doing my teeth good. And maybe they were - as I said, V strong teeth.
Yep...I had mottled coloured milk teeth when I was young. I can't remember it but I can remember mum telling me about it...'NICE'...:rolleyes:
(I must dig out old school photos and see if my 'spotty' teeth are showing...)

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I've just spent moment with 'Dr Google' and looking into water and fluoride info..particularly in Finland.
Interestingly...fluoride is only been added in certain areas in the country (not where I was brought up) as else where there are/were high enough natural fluoride levels...some places even too high and water has to be filtered to remove some!
Seems like 'excess fluoride' and its effects are well documented and researched fact..don't seem to find any trouble finding info about it!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Here in the UK they add fluoride to public water supplies by law, so no one escapes it. So we have 64 million guinea pigs testing this. It may be behind T2 increase, but I have not seen any studies showing a link.

Just over 6 million of our total UK population have fluoride in the public water supply.

http://bfsweb.org/onemillion/09 One in a Million - The Extent of Fluoridation.pdf

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/fluoride/Pages/Introduction.aspx

The drinking water is monitored by Defra

http://dwi.defra.gov.uk/index.htm

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I drank well water for 30 plus years and still ended up with 5 autoimmune conditions :)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well one thing fluoride is good for and that is making nuclear bombs.

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hmm....it is not all about our drinking water, though in some areas ground water do have more than recommended levels...we get fluoride from so many other sources as well..in fact it is in almost every dental cleaning product and rinses. We get it from our food and drinks. Though what comes from 'natural' sources is healthier form of fluoride than what is in 'added' form.
I had a chat with my mother earlier on...and she said that the area where she is from, the ground water is naturally VERY high with fluoride, all the water they used was lifted off from a well that is fed by springs....with the effect that in the village there is high percentage of thyroid problems than normally present in population...fluoride blocks iodine absorption. My gran, my mother, 2 of my aunties (mum's sisters) and a cousin...all females from same family have all had thyroid operation and on medication. They didn't know about it until years later when it was mentioned in news. Now that area's water supply is filtered for general use. My gran's old place is still 'well water only' area....beautiful tasting water it is indeed..and always so cold!
Yes....been reading about the subject much more now...:rolleyes:..and I find it very curious indeed...It is quite obvious that as I had fluoride marked teeth in my early years...I have been getting too much fluoride, but it wasn't from water source...it was supplemented form. I won't never know if that is the source for my problems...but certainly one possibility..it would be nice to put blame for something..;)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK, But the fluoride in water or mouthwash is not that stuff. HF is corrosive and is used as a major industrial solvent

As an aside, Garbapentane the antidepressant drug is derived from NASA rocket fuel, It is now being prescribed for diabetic neuropathy. Light blue touch paper and retire.