Should I have missed out my tablets after 24 hours without food.

LincolnLizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had some sort of noxious bug in my system and was sick and dizzy, felt dreadful and couldn't eat.

I did have my Forxiga and Glibencamide yesterday morning I was 6.5 yesterday morning, couldn't face testing later so it was 4pm before I did again and was down to 4.9. I inject my basal Lantus at 6pm and decided not to have my evening Glibencamide - probably just as well coz I was at 3.6 at bedtime. So I had to force down a piece of dark chocolate - can't believe I didn't enjoy it!

Was I right not to take the Glibencamide? How do people who are fasting cope?

This morning I couldn't face dairy - my usual breakfast, so I had 50g of a Lidl protein roll - I'm back up to 6.3. I really can't tolerate even Lidl protein roll - it is so disappointing. I thought I might have found something I could do a pack up with.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

alaska

I personally think it was the right thing to not take the glibenclamide as your sugar levels have been good-to-low and all glibenclamide would have done was to force your pancreas to release more insulin and lowered your sugar levels further, Not good if you're getting hypos of course.

One question, why are you on glibenclamide and basal insulin?

I gather the glibenclamide will be to cope with post meal time rises in blood sugar but the truth is that glibenclamide (and all sulphonylureas) have a habit of burning out the pancreas in the long run.

There are two ways out of being on drugs that force the pancreas to produce excess insulin (and therefore burn out) and those choices are:

1. Lower carb count of meals
2. Take meal time insulin instead of the glibenclamide

I gather you're on the LCHF diet at the moment so hopefully that'll do the trick and help you to not need glibenclamide at some point.

It's great to see you're monitoring your sugar levels and I trust you know that if you start getting low sugar levels occurring regularly, it's time to address your doctor about reducing your medication.

Hope the illness goes away soon and it's good to hear it's not been making your sugar levels too high.

All the best
Ed

LincolnLizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Ed, thanks I'm starting to feel better now. I can't tolerate Metformin, so I have been put on 1 x daily basal Lantus and certainly my control, along with the low carb (but not high fat) way of eating has revolutionised my bs control. I'm now down to 2 Glibencamide in the morning and only one in the evening as that is when I use the insulin. So I feel that is an improvement. I had pancreatitis twice about 12 years ago, which was caused by gall stones (or so I believe).

I am a type 2, so I don't believe my DN will go with insulin instead of Glibencamide. I don't really want to restrict my diet by going even lower carb, I do use pulses and eat small portions of peas. I try to cook interesting and delicious meals for me and my husband, we are foodies really.

I'm dreading my two week holiday in Northern Cyprus, how will I cope with all the delicious Turkish bread!

Any further advice would be appreciated.

Liz

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
Take lots and lots of oilive oil with the bread I find it greatly modereates the impact of the carbs.
Flat breads seem to have less of an impact on my blood sugar than risen breads.

LincolnLizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Take lots and lots of oilive oil with the bread I find it greatly modereates the impact of the carbs.
Flat breads seem to have less of an impact on my blood sugar than risen breads.

Thank you Simione. That's helpful, I'll give it a try