Porridge and Low Carbs

Ehlana

I have been following this thread with interest because I too have a reaction to any porridge - generally in double figures! However, I recently discovered hemp porridge which has a much higher protein content - it is a mixture of rolled hemp with porridge oats.

Due to the higher protein content, I can happily have 30g with some soya milk and berries and its very satisfying.

Interestingly, I sometimes have porridge in the afternoon as my carb replacement after a run - and I never get such high readings. Is there any link between having these grains in a morning, or is it just the exercise?

I'm very interested with people's views on food combining as well.

mjm

I'm a T1 and use porridge every morning. I use 50g and mix in blueberries. I then cover with natural yogurt. I then spread sunflower seeds on the yogurt and cover these with sesame seeds. I then sprinkle maple leaf syrup on this. I exercise on an exercise bike after breakfast and can have readings under 7after 2 hours. I feel exercise has a lot to do with it in my situation. - Mike

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Definition of calorie as a unit of energy
4.2 calories are requied to raise the temperature of 1cubic centimetre of water by 1 Celsius degree.
A Calorie or kilo calorie is 1000 calories. Note the importance of the capital letter.
Under the MKS system of units, we use the joule instead and 4.2calories = 1 joule.
You'll see Kj on food labels too.
these don't tell you much about how the body uses energy, since the determination is done in a bomb calorimeter.
Hana

Moogie1947

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hanadr said:
Definition of calorie as a unit of energy
4.2 calories are requied to raise the temperature of 1cubic centimetre of water by 1 Celsius degree.
A Calorie or kilo calorie is 1000 calories. Note the importance of the capital letter.
Under the MKS system of units, we use the joule instead and 4.2calories = 1 joule.
You'll see Kj on food labels too.
these don't tell you much about how the body uses energy, since the determination is done in a bomb calorimeter.
Hana

That takes me back nearly 45 years to 'A' level physics. Although that is clearly the scientific definition, do you think that the calorie is an over simplification of what is happening in the body and not all calories count the same in the context of diets? Maybe it depends on what food they are in. It seems that calories from fat may not count the same as those from starch in the putting on weight game, as low carbing also means higher fats and proteins.

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Busybee2 said:

"porridge is a low carb because it lowers your colestrol"

I don't think so! :shock:

Moogie1947

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have this quick to make, no cook alternative to Porridge.
It is really delicious - a flax seed chocolate porridge adapted from Rose Elliotts "The vegetarian low carb Diet Cookbook":

1 tablespoon Soy protein powder (from health food shops not Soy flour)
2 tablespoons ground flax seed (buy ready ground or grind your own)
Spenda* to taste
1 teaspoon cocoa (not hot chocolate) powder (I use Green and Blacks) **
Full Cream yoghurt, creme fraiche or double cream as required.

Mix together, add boiling water al little at a time, less that 1/2 pint and stir until thick.
Stir in the yoghurt or cream or creme fraiche.
Add more Splenda if it is not sweet enough.

* You could use one of the DaVinci carb free syrups instead e.g. vanilla. Buy online.
** Original recipe used cinnamon and chopped nuts.

You can make up a big batch of the dry mix in advance too. But need to keep it in the fridge as ground flax seed apparently goes rancid.

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Where do you buy these steel cut oats Catherine?

Are they available in the supermarkets?

Thanks,

Jim

C

catherinecherub

Hi Ardbeg,
You can sometimes get them in Waitrose and Sainsburys. I get them online from GoodnessDirect. co.uk Put pinhead oats in their search engine. You could buy the smaller bag to try them. I add fruit and nuts. Stewed apple with cinnamon and flaked almonds is nice as is berries and crushed walnuts. You could also add seeds.

It takes longer to cook than the jumbo oats. I cook mine in the slow cooker overnight on low and so there is no excuse that breakfast will take too long. 8) If you make extra it will fridge for a couple of days and you can warm it up in the microwave.

Catherine.

hismom

hi,
my son is type 1 and has ready brek every morning for breakfast. He has 45 grams with 200ml of semi skimmed milk. He doesnt low carb as such as he is only 13 and needs the carbs for his growth. The porridge does send his levels up and after 2 hours he is normally around 9 which is high. Having said that his hba1c is 5.6 . We have spoken to his consultant along with the dieabetic nurse and a diabetic nutritionalist who have all said his is fine with those levels as porridge is slow release.

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been following this thread with interest because I too have a reaction to any porridge - generally in double figures! However, I recently discovered hemp porridge which has a much higher protein content - it is a mixture of rolled hemp with porridge oats.

Due to the higher protein content, I can happily have 30g with some soya milk and berries and its very satisfying.

Interestingly, I sometimes have porridge in the afternoon as my carb replacement after a run - and I never get such high readings. Is there any link between having these grains in a morning, or is it just the exercise?

I'm very interested with people's views on food combining as well.

I am just starting to figure out a good way of life for me. So far I've found that exercise has amazing effects on my BG levels. I often eat small amounts of porridge in the morning, about 1/4 mug (~30g), bulked out with the same amount of grated courgette. Then I add different seeds and coconut milk.

newest

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cricket
I am type 1, diagnosed aug 13, I had never had the need to diet or watch what food I ate, I was 54 when diagnosed, it has taken all this time and only since finding this site that my bg has dramatically reduced, I have reduced my carb intake and have been able to reduce insulin intake, my bg on waking had been between 15-2. for the past few days and reading and learning from other's experiences my waking bg has been 4.2-5.2, and throughout the day my levels have not gone above 6, I feel so much better , not foggy one minute then dizzy the next, I actually am starting to feel like my old self.

Reactions: 5 people

FADM2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I made overnight porridge: soak rolled oats in a glass/jar with milk, sprinkle some cinnamon powder. no problem with BG spike. but I take very little quantity- 20g may be.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I eat porridge each morning with full fat milk and a good sprinkling of cinnamon. Only about 30g. If I use semi-skimmed milk I am hungry by 10:30 (5 hours after breakfast) but with full fat I can go until 1PM before hunger approaches. Seeing as I do not get home until 8PM I have to extend lunch and not eat it at 11AM lol. For me 30g porridge is fine and doesn't raise my BG levels above low 6s
However, I wouldn't say porridge is low carb but it can form some of the carbs you intend to eat throughout the day.

For reference I do not follow a low carb diet.

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people who dont signal when they are turning left or right.
I can`t take porridge in any shape or form it sends my blood sugars sky rocketing then i get terrible head aches