Rice replacement

Mary_m

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi All

Has anybody got any ideas of what to use as a rice replacement, apart from cauliflower rice?

(I do like cauliflower, but have had quite a lot lately!)

Metformin/exercise/diet

Reactions: 2 people

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello.

What's your daily carb intake on the low carb diet? I'm not low carbing but I eat brown basmati rice which has 21g carbs per 100g and one serving for me is 25g which only comes in at roughly 5g carbs.

Sometimes alternatives can be just as good as a substitute :)

Reactions: 5 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello.

What's your daily carb intake on the low carb diet? I'm not low carbing but I eat brown basmati rice which has 21g carbs per 100g and one serving for me is 25g which only comes in at roughly 5g carbs.

Is that 25g cooked weight or dry weight? I would love to try some rice as the cauliflower version gets a little boring after a while

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You can also get 'Slim Rice' from Holland & Barrett and other health food shops, it's made from a SE Asian vegetable tuber called Konjac which has zero carbs. A bit dear at £2.89 for a 125g pouch, but H&B often have it on BOGOFF offer.
http://www.slimrice.co.uk/

Last edited by a moderator:

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is that 25g cooked weight or dry weight? I would love to try some rice as the cauliflower version gets a little boring after a while

It says "typical values as consumed" so I'm guessing that's cooked weight.

spoors599

Hi All

Has anybody got any ideas of what to use as a rice replacement, apart from cauliflower rice?

(I do like cauliflower, but have had quite a lot lately!)

Metformin/exercise/diet
If you live near an Asda try their own brand frozen "G iant Couscous & Quinoa steam bags which is delicious (also contains edamame soya beans, fine green beans, tomatoes, onions, rapeseed oil, basil and salt. It is all go with the green traffic light system.

Mary_m

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello.

Hi
I'm trying to keep it below 40g

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can also get 'Slim Rice' from Holland & Barrett and other health food shops, it's made from a SE Asian vegetable tuber called Konjac which has zero carbs. A bit dear at £2.89 for a 125g pouch, but H&B often have it on BOGOFF offer.
http://www.slimrice.co.uk/

Is it nice @Prem51 never heard of this so thanks for the info.

Personally I just eat extra veg. So my Thai chicken curry I will eat with a big pile of tendersweet brocolli - honestly don't miss the rice, just kinda forgot about it after a few weeks ....

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.

Personally I just eat extra veg. So my Thai chicken curry I will eat with a big pile of tendersweet brocolli - honestly don't miss the rice, just kinda forgot about it after a few weeks ....

I've read quite a lot about Konjac, but never given it a go.

Based on your outstanding recommendation for Oppo, I'll take a punt again on @Prem51 recommendation:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

6/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 11lbs, waist 30".

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you live near an Asda try their own brand frozen "G iant Couscous & Quinoa steam bags which is delicious (also contains edamame soya beans, fine green beans, tomatoes, onions, rapeseed oil, basil and salt. It is all go with the green traffic light system.

Cous cous and Quinoa are great. Personally, I prefer cous cous and it always turns out great cooked in a bit of stock!

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I haven't tried the Slim Rice - I just use smaller portions of white or brown basmati rice. I have tried the Slim Pasta. It is ok, doesn't really taste of anything. The Slim Pasta spaghetti is a bit thin and curly, more like Chinese noodles so could be used in Chinese dishes. I like the Slim Pasta Fettucini which is a good substitute for pasta in Italian dishes like Bolognese or meat balls.
It is a useful product to keep in larder as it has a long shelf life, so handy for when you need it.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I like using shredded lettuce in place of rice as a bed for curry or chilli.

Dazzy_D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I use the 'Better Than' range. Rice, pasta and noodles. Can be bought in bulk from amazon. Carb free and very low calorie. Pretty versatile, a little tasteless but is great as a base to homemade curries, chilli, stir frys and Bolognese. Really easy to use as it requires virtually no cooking. Comes in pouches....simply rinse (pongs a bit) and dry fry and its ready to go. Have given it to other family members and they didn't bat an eyelid !! www.betterthanpasta.co.uk

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've tries the Slim Rice and Slim Pasta Konjac stuff and it's like eating rubber bands...disgusting stuff from my experience of it. I would rather go without than subject my stomach to such an abomination masquerading as food lol

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've tries the Slim Rice and Slim Pasta Konjac stuff and it's like eating rubber bands...disgusting stuff from my experience of it. I would rather go without than subject my stomach to such an abomination masquerading as food lol

Yep, completely agree - I can't stand it. I was so excited when I first heard about it, but it's not for me.

I've washed and washed it, but you can't get rid of the stink. Even dousing it in sesame oil after cooking doesn't get rid of it! The texture's also v strange - as @Gezzabelle says, they're like rubber bands.

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
I tried the cauliflower rice - I like cauliflower so thought it would work - but did not like and just ate the curry without - going to go back to the basmati rice, I would rather have a small portion of actual rice and enjoy the meal.

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried the cauliflower rice - I like cauliflower so thought it would work - but did not like and just ate the curry without - going to go back to the basmati rice, I would rather have a small portion of actual rice and enjoy the meal.

Have you tried the roasted version? I find it much nicer than microwaving or frying it as it's much drier. I add some cumin and coriander seeds and it's really lovely.

This is the recipe I use - it's at the end of the article: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/whats-best-way-cook-cauliflower-rice

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
My problem with cauliflower rice is that it doesn't soak up the juices like normal rice or mashed potatoes does - I need something that does that for many of my meals - maybe roasting it would be the answer. Quinoa doesn't look like it's very low carb, at 39g per 100g - rice is better than that.