Advice on weight & lchf

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all! Just wondered if anyone has any tips re amounts of food & weight. I was shocked to find I'd piled on 6lbs since Aug last year. I want to lose around 10lbs and do a fair amount of exercise. I think maybe I've overdone the cheese, Mayo, nuts and dark choc!!! Should I just go back to the drawing board? Anyone else has same prob? Thanks

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I cut out snacks and eat cheese as part of a meal rather than a snack. I also try and limit my cream.
I'm well greedy! I've started hammering HIIT as an exercise too as its meant to keep burning fat afterwards.
BUT I LOVE ME NUTS AND STUFF! So I feel your pain.

Reactions: 2 people

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all! Just wondered if anyone has any tips re amounts of food & weight. I was shocked to find I'd piled on 6lbs since Aug last year. I want to lose around 10lbs and do a fair amount of exercise. I think maybe I've overdone the cheese, Mayo, nuts and dark choc!!! Should I just go back to the drawing board? Anyone else has same prob? Thanks
Hi Medusa. I find it helps to include plenty of non starchy vegetables in my LCHF diet - to replace a lot of the "bulk" that would otherwise have been filled with stuff like rice or pasta.

I think that the overall energy density of your food can definitely be a factor in weight management. So I like to balance my calorie dense high fat foods with plenty of fibrous and non starchy vegetables. And TBH I find this pretty easy to do on LCHF, as there are plenty of available vegetables that taste great with butter or sour cream or cheese. Overall this really moderates the calorie density of most meals, but they're still extremely satiating. :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I am sorry. :eek: How is it even possible to overdo the dark choc?!?! :eek: (you have to imagine me waggling my eyebrows in disbelief)

But seriously, any chance you have experienced the dreaded Carb Creep? Where teensy little 'discrepencies' gradually become more frequent, until they become quite regular? This happens to me with annoying regularity. I have a treat, get away with it, on both weight and blood glucose front, and think 'wayhay!' that was OK, I can do it again... It happens with protein too.

If I keep my carbs low enough, the fats just don't seem to add weight - for me.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If weight starts to increase, and also the same for BS levels, it is often wise to go back to basics. Keeping food diaries and measuring portion sizes is one way. Often all it needs are minor dietary tweaks, a little bit less of this and a little bit less of that. Regularly checking your weight once a week and looking back over that week's food to see if your tweaks are working might work. Snacking can be a deadly way of adding calories. Often a cuppa or a coffee will suffice. (I don't know if you do snack, so apologies if you don't.)

I hope you manage to find a way. :)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with all the above

Veggies can be very filling and low cal and cheese/ dairy and nuts are very calorie dense. I eat a VLC carb diet and 80% fat but I have to watch the type of fat as well as the calories to a point. I could eat forever and ever as I love food but I certainly don't need it all. I find having an avocado a day to be very satisfying and keeps the snacking away. I split it between three meals and add some protein and veggies to each meal. Keeps life simple too. Dairy packs the pounds on me. Sad as I love all dairy. I also use appetizer plates as a measuring tool

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I cut out snacks and eat cheese as part of a meal rather than a snack. I also try and limit my cream.
I'm well greedy! I've started hammering HIIT as an exercise too as its meant to keep burning fat afterwards.
BUT I LOVE ME NUTS AND STUFF! So I feel your pain.

Thanks @Mrs Vimes - yes think eating cheese as part of meal is the way forward as it's too easy to snack on! Thanks!

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@uart Thanks - yes think I will do that more. I do eat a lot of broccoli, green beans & salad veg but will try sour cream etc & yes you have a valid point about calorie density!

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well, I am sorry. :eek: How is it even possible to overdo the dark choc?!?! :eek: (you have to imagine me waggling my eyebrows in disbelief)

But seriously, any chance you have experienced the dreaded Carb Creep? Where teensy little 'discrepencies' gradually become more frequent, until they become quite regular? This happens to me with annoying regularity. I have a treat, get away with it, on both weight and blood glucose front, and think 'wayhay!' that was OK, I can do it again... It happens with protein too.

If I keep my carbs low enough, the fats just don't seem to add weight - for me.

Hi @Brunneria - thanks yes you could be right. Ever since my Consultant suggested I could slightly up the carbs last Sept (due to running a lot) - I think I may have taken it too literally! Dark choc - well lol I do love a couple squares in the evening but lately it's 3! I take it you're not a fan?! Regards

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree with all the above

Veggies can be very filling and low cal and cheese/ dairy and nuts are very calorie dense. I eat a VLC carb diet and 80% fat but I have to watch the type of fat as well as the calories to a point. I could eat forever and ever as I love food but I certainly don't need it all. I find having an avocado a day to be very satisfying and keeps the snacking away. I split it between three meals and add some protein and veggies to each meal. Keeps life simple too. Dairy packs the pounds on me. Sad as I love all dairy. I also use appetizer plates as a measuring tool

Thanks @Kristin251 - I was wondering about the dairy as I have been eating more cheese, butter, mayo etc... of late I love avocados - so will add more & I think it was you who suggested on a previous post eating guacamole & celery for brekkie? I got some today Thx for the tips.

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Bluetit1802 - yes I do snack & I seem to be hungry between 5-7pm (before dinner, after sorting kids)! I'm gonna start a food diary again! Thanks

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Bluetit1802 - yes I do snack & I seem to be hungry between 5-7pm (before dinner, after sorting kids)! I'm gonna start a food diary again! Thanks
That's my danger zone before dinner so I have made some seeds and nuts and goji berry mix and have a few pinches of this and glass of water to keep me going til dinners cooked, I am v tempted to grab some cheese otherwise and its too easy to over indulge.

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been snacking on cheese, fruits and nuts for the past ten days and yet to put on an ounce. How much longer do I have to do this before I see any result? It can be very frustrating and I think it is best to avoid the scales.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum