Libre Sensor blood tester

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning,

Are you referring to the Freestyle Libre system with the sensor; or the reader with the blood glucose test strips?

Grant

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why isn't this free like all the other blood testing machines... There would be more chance of me using it than....

Sent from my SM-G900F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Leslie - I'm taking a bit of a guess on what your actual question is. I'm assuming you mean, why isn't the Libre available on prescription?

That being the case, it's quite simple. The Libre system has been legally approved for sale and use, but not yet approved by NICE as a prescription item for GPs to prescribe. I imagine Abbott will be working very hard on that in the background, but these wheels tend to turn frustratingly slowly.

I you like the look of the Libre reader, you could look at the other Abbott meters, with the Abbott Freestyle Optium Neo being the closest match (although it doesn't read Libre sensors).

I think everyone would much prefer it to be available on prescription, but a we are where we are.

Incidentally, the Libre doesn't mean you don't have to do any finger prick testing. Those using the Libre are still required to actually use a blood test before driving, to comply with the DVLA Rules.

I hope that helps, but if not if you could clarify your question a bit more, we'd like to help.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
PEPPERS BEING USED TO BULK OUT FOOD ASSUMING THAT EVERYONE LIKES THEM!!
Hi
I'm in the process of using the libre but I'm not convinced. The first sensor fell off after seven days even though I'd followed their instructions carefully. Within the seven days I compared libre readings to my bg finger prick readings. I expected a bit of a difference but they were really quite different. I had a reading saying I was 3.5 but when I did finger prick I was 7.2 so lost a bit of trust then. My Dan told me to speak to libre to get the sensor replaced which was 25 minutes of torture. The libre guy was a nightmare asking me the same questions repeatedly. To top it all I ended up with a phone bill of £20 for ringing a number that was supposed to be free. All in all not a great experience and I'm wondering if it is worth the money if it is so inaccurate. If I don't trust it I can't depend on it. Am I the only one with this degree of difference in readings?

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I'm in the process of using the libre but I'm not convinced. The first sensor fell off after seven days even though I'd followed their instructions carefully. Within the seven days I compared libre readings to my bg finger prick readings. I expected a bit of a difference but they were really quite different. I had a reading saying I was 3.5 but when I did finger prick I was 7.2 so lost a bit of trust then. My Dan told me to speak to libre to get the sensor replaced which was 25 minutes of torture. The libre guy was a nightmare asking me the same questions repeatedly. To top it all I ended up with a phone bill of £20 for ringing a number that was supposed to be free. All in all not a great experience and I'm wondering if it is worth the money if it is so inaccurate. If I don't trust it I can't depend on it. Am I the only one with this degree of difference in readings?

I had a similar experience to you with my first sensor. Poor accuracy and unpredictable. My sensor fell off, albeit when I was in the midst of a rock concert so I can only blame myself.

After 3 months I bit the bullet and tried the second sensor that I had ordered. I have since changed my view on the Libre completely and will continue to use this system for at least another 4 months.

Try a second sensor and see how you go. It really is a fantastic piece of kit and will give you a great insight into your condition.

As for your discrepancies (3.5 - 7.2mmol/L for example) remember that the Libre is slower in displaying your BGL than a finger prick test. It may be that your BGL had risen quickly and the Libre was still behind your actual BGL as displayed on your finger prick meter.

Grant

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

What number were you calling on? I have never incurred a charge on my landline or mobile (on Vodafone) and I've called a few times, over the time I've been using the Libre.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Hi Grant. I put another sensor on last week so hope it will stay on this time but the difference between readings isn't improving

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
That's odd as I was on a mobile using the 0500 no on Vodafone. I need to speak to Vodafone about a refund

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I use verio iq some examples of bg/libre are:
Bg 4.5
Libre 7.7
Then bg 4.0 libre 7.7
Bg 7.9 libre 4.5

They're all in the same region roughly

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The Libre does use generic algorithms to calculate your BGL. It is an estimate however and isn't individual to each user. Hence the reason that there's no need for calibration as with CGM systems.

I assume that you used the alcohol swap before applying that sensor and it was on the fatty bit on the back of the arm?

Out of interest, if you have access to another BG meter then I'd give that a go and see if there are discrepancies between that and your Verio IQ and also the Libre.

Grant