Freestyle Libre questions

wannabemammy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have just received a phone call from my care team saying that I have been chosen from my clinic to be trained on how to use the Libre. Has anyone any experience with this as I'm reading mixed reviews? I realise the strips are expensive and some people complained they didn't get the full 2 weeks out of the strip, the strip moved/doesn't stick/gets grubby looking after a few days...can anyone shed light? I am bridesmaid 2 weeks after I get it and would prefer not to have a dirty looking thing on my arm sorry if I sound shallow, believe me my health is my first priority.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Is your clinic not supplying the sensors? The test strips you will get free on prescription as you have type 1.

TBH the sensors are so small you hardly notice them, when I was using the Libre I had no issues with the adhesion but the accuracy of the sensors could be hit & miss, always best to follow-up with a finger bg test if ever in doubt.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are a bridesmaid with a sleeveless dress on a day you are wearing the sensor, I would think about delaying using it. They are very noticeable on a bare arm, and not very pretty! I am speaking as a female here. Men probably don't care as much! I find I feel uncomfortable wearing one with anything short sleeved. I wear tops that come down to at least just above the elbow.
I can't say mine have looked grubby though.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The only part of the sensor that comes close to being grubby would be underneath the adhesive part. But that's only noticeable when the sensor has been removed. A good scrub and it comes off your skin no bother.

As @noblehead has said, accuracy can be a bit off at times - especially during the first 24hrs. Also, as @Bluetit1802 says - it is noticeable by a country mile to other people. Personally, you'll forget it's there but it will be on show for everyone else.

The only sensor I've had fall off was completely my own doing. You really have to be pretty heavy handed for them to come off.

Grant

LauLau

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As you change the sensor every two weeks, can you time it so you start a new one say the evening you are a bridesmaid or the next morning? And use your normal monitor for that day, putting the new one on whenever you're done. If the dress has sleeves you should be able to place it out of the way though. If anything happens to make it fall off or it's not working, contact customer services as this shouldn't happen. Yes, the adhesive can look a bit grubby after a week or so but I don't think that's noticeable to others. Do you mind me asking who's funding the trial, or if you are paying yourself? I've found it to be really convenient so far by the way... other than the cost!

epicure_2002

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
i have finally figured out how to use the graphic data in order to adjust insulin dosage. i was all over the place 17 hi's and 4.5 lows. now i have figured out i was using way too much insulin ( apidra 30 units 2-3 times a day ) as well as 2 x 50 units of lantus morning and night. now, i have more or less a level line and no real peaks. my gp never gave me any guidance apart from increasing my insulin dosage. now i'm using 50 units of lantus per day and 8 units of apidra before meals. my last HbA1C in april was 7.8%.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's someone on eBay selling (rather garish IMO ) stickers to cover the sensors, which gave me the idea that you could maybe make a pretty lacey armband with a silk flower or two to match the wedding theme, and use this both as a feature and a sensor disguise for the day if necessary? And maybe even start a new fashion trend into the bargain... :p

The sensor is waterproof, so could be cleaned if it looked grubby, but I think it might be its slightly shiny whiteness that could make it appear a bit obvious. Maybe Abbott should make them in flesh colours too.

Robbity

Reactions: 4 people

jfigard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been using the Freestyle Libre continuously for over a year now. It's been tremendously useful and I feel naked without it. I've experienced the inaccuracy during the first 24 hours of use that others have described. However, I've found a solution that works for me. Apply the sensor, wait 24 hours before scanning to "begin new sensor". After the 60 minute waiting period the results are accurate without losing a day of use to inaccurate readings. I hope this helps.

pbarnes1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have just started using the Freestyle 4 days ago and have been shocked by the high values. Also noted the @3am hypos which is interesting. It is expensive but I think it will be easier to keep your BGLs on the level. Thank you for advising about the first 24 hours. I thought it was just me.

Shaggy_Dog_1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would suggest that as being a bridesmaid is likely to be fairly stressful, you will be eating unusual food (or cake!) at unusual times, that the libre would be an ideal tool to use, as I think if I was in your situation (unlikely, I'm a man, but I can dream!) I would hate to be without mine as my bloods would be all over the shop. At least with a sensor on your arm you won't have any danger of leaving blood on a bridesmaid dress! Yes, the Libre isn't always spot on, but the trend arrow is normally accurate, and will let you know what general direction you glucose levels are heading in. It tends to be that the level shown is what your blood glucose was perhaps 15 or 30 minutes before you swiped, but you get a line graph showing your levels every 2 minutes for the last 8 hours, which gives a good idea of what is going on. If blood glucose is either very high or very low the reading on the Libre will not be as extreme, but you should know by how you feel that something's not right. I'd say go for it, people will be intrigued if they can see it, and you'll soon get a good story ready about what it is.

By the way, I've been using the system for a good 18 months now, and I wouldn't like to be without it.

Another thought comes to mind - those of people at the wedding that you already know should know that you have diabetes, so explaining the improved technology to them should be easy, don't be embarrassed or super conscious of it, just let them be impressed.

Let us know how you get on!

Last edited by a moderator:

wannabemammy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Wow thanks for all the responses everyone I'm really glad I asked now! My best friend from school who I also work with it getting married to my husbands brother so people from my childhood, my workmates and my in laws are the majority who make up the wedding guests and all know about my diabetes so I agree @Shaggy_Dog_1 they will be intrigued! The dress is sleeveless so will be visible but I like the idea of timing it so I start the following day, thanks @LauLau ! The hospital at which I attend clinic (in Ireland) has chosen 10 people across a few different clinics. I'm in a pre pregnancy clinic, struggling to get my hba1c down to acceptable levels. A rep is coming in to show us how to use it, I imagine they are hoping the clinics will suggest it to patients thus increasing profits for them.@noblehead I wasn't clear on my original post sorry! The clinic are supplying 2 sensors and a starter kit but after that I think I'm on my own @Robbity I would love the start the fashion trend...think my ocd mate wouldn't be too keen though haha! @jfigard thanks for the advice I'll try it!

Hi, my daughter and I both have recently started using freestyle libra and are pleased with it. We have had the problem of them getting knocked off our arms. I usually use a bit of micro pore and Rachel uses circular pink plasters. The sensors still work fine thru plasters and clothes, maybe you can use flesh coloured strips

Reactions: 2 people

wannabemammy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I looked at the YouTube channel of a type 1 girl that's on here, @T1DSarah and she explains it very well. Her first sensor started to unstick after a few days so she showed a tape she got from Amazon that kept it in place. The more I read of all your experiences the more excited I'm getting. T1 15 years control was never perfect. Lowest I can get hba1c into is mid 7%! A have some concerns over the accuracy but I figure I'll keep my usual tester with me the first few days and see how it goes. Technology has come a long way and I'm all for change if it improves my health!!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
A have some concerns over the accuracy but I figure I'll keep my usual tester with me the first few days and see how it goes.

That is wise as the manufacturer do say it doesn't replace bg testing.

A tip I got from @robert72 (a member on here) was to apply the sensor but don't activate it for 24 hours, you still get the full 14 days usage out of the sensor but the readings are more accurate when the sensor is activated.

Shaggy_Dog_1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've never had a problem with reading accuracy in the first 24 hours, and it's been a while since I knocked one off my arm (normally it's walking too close to door frames, and pulling shirts off that get mine). However, Abbott are very good at replacing sensors that have come unstuck. I found that getting the sensor far enough round the back of my arm means that it is both safe from door frames, and I can get s subtle reading under the arm rather than going round the outside!

wannabemammy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Pity you can't place it on the tummy!
@noblehead do you mean you scan it and instead of waiting 60 mins you wait 24 hours and begin to test then? Sorry for all the questions guys!thanks for the advice so far!

jfigard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@noblehead do you mean you scan it and instead of waiting 60 mins you wait 24 hours and begin to test then? Sorry for all the questions guys!thanks for the advice so far!

No. Sorry for any confusion. Apply the sensor. Wait 24 hours to scan for the very first time. This first scan will "begin new sensor". After 60 minutes you can begin scanning as frequently as you like. Hopefully with greater accuracy than if you scanned immediately after applying the sensor.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Apologies for the late reply.

Read @jfigard post above on what you should do, best wishes.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Some folks do use it on their tummy or legs, but it isn't approved by Abbott for those sites, so Abbott would be unlikely to replace any sensors giving wonky readings or other issues, where sensors have been applied to tummies legs etc.

I'm guessing you are also going to give feedback on your trial use? Using it on a non-approved site might be viewed as unhelpful at best.

I rather like the idea of flesh coloured tape. I must look into that; although I'l allergic to most tape adhesive. Even with the skin sensitivity, I haven't had any issues with the Libre adhesive.

I do hope you find a way of making it work for you.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found that waiting 24 hours before starting my last sensor didn't do much to improve initial accuracy for me so I'm going to try leaving it a bit longer next time I use one. Or possibly try it on my other arm so I won't lie on it so much overnight...which is when much of my problems occurred.

Robbity
PS My sensors so far have stuck like limpets and it's been prying them off that's my problem. All mine have been on average 1 point lower that my test strip results, but the patterns I've seen have been consistently similar between meter and sensors. And since I'm not on insulin the exact readings are fortunately not a real problem for me.

Last edited by a moderator: