Daily Mail andLCHF

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Aseem Malhotra spoke at the PHCUK Conference in June.
I haven't yet found a link to his lecture on the internet, but I am sure it will be uploaded soon.
He discussed various medical procedures and their useage, to show how malpractice becomes embedded in 'the system' (in the form of unnecessary procedures).
- so he wasn't really talking about diabetes, or Low Carb High Fatting, but the comparison between his subject matter and the embedded nature of NHS bad diet advice ws pretty obvious!

This is a You Tube vid of him talking about Sugar being Public Enemy No 1

and an interview of him with Mercola

Reactions: 2 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I want to see Oppo ice cream like products. Low carb wraps, rolls and flour, stevia cheaper. Stevia is expensive because lack of demand. Tesco are good at getting a good deal for the customer.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My dietician told me if I wanted to study dietetics I'd have to study in Leeds full-time. What!!!
That's in the EU. God knows now!

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I want to see Oppo ice cream like products. Low carb wraps, rolls and flour, stevia cheaper. Stevia is expensive because lack of demand. Tesco are good at getting a good deal for the customer.
I am all for Tesco stealing the roll recipe from Lidl :jimlad:

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
I think @ickihun means it would be good to see low carb specific bread etc grouped together so that shoppers were aware that the low carb way if eating was a viable option

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd like tesco to have a low carb aisle. Good fats included.
Our supporter will be making changes due to EU change. This is the best time to petition for it.
Guaranteed money to be made.

Having been living happily this way (Lower Carb with Balancing Fat) for around 2.5 years now, I find the easiest way to quickly find the low carb stuff is too keep to the edges/perimeter - the carbs tend to be (with some exceptions, just because there always are!) in the aisles in the centre of the stores. Have a look next time you go in. Now there are several aisles I simple never visit and and only occasionally.

It works for me.

Reactions: 4 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

I think Tesco might be good at getting a good deal for Tesco, some of their pricing practices are pretty odd.... I spend a lot of the weekly budget there... it's convenient and very average... imho.

Given that, I think their fruit and veg knocks Lidls and Aldi into a cocked hat.

sud5nala

I see he is still unfortunately promoting the mantra that saturated fats don't raise cholesterol,

The more important points are:
* slightly high LDL is not dangerous (ie high cholesterol's fine, so long as not extreme)
* if you exercise often and curtail sugars and white flour foods, LDL will usually find a healthy level.

Last edited by a moderator:

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The more important points are:
* slightly high LDL is not dangerous
* if you exercise often and curtail sugars and white flour foods, LDL will usually find a healthy level.

This usually gets rattled out as well, and we've not been disappointed I see.

It never amazes me how it gets repeated by some.
I really can't understand some people's simple inability to grasp that saturated fats raise cholesterol in others, and simply churn out the classic mantra of 'carbs raise cholesterol, not fats, and if the fats do, then don't worry, it's healthy'

No doubt the link to Kendrick will be up soon.

I don't eat saturated fats, I have low enough LDL, and everything blood result is fine, I don't need to push my cholesterol up artificially, so I'll take my chances without saturated fats.
Until the guru's can recognise that, there is a massive flaw in their teachings.

sud5nala

Is the whole waking up to LCHF, Article in today's Mail ,cardiologist recommends this diet to a maximum of about 50 grms carbs a day, what happens to the daily plate recommendations now ??
And what about Dr. David Unwin? In the last two months, he made New Scientist magazine, the Telegraph. Inspired by his own patients and this Website (his testimony), he did research and published it in a medical journal.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

I really can't understand some people's simple inability to grasp that saturated fats raise cholesterol in others, and simply churn out the classic mantra of 'carbs raise cholesterol, not fats, and if the fats do, then don't worry, it's healthy'

I don't eat saturated fats, I have low enough LDL, and everything blood result is fine, I don't need to push my cholesterol up artificially, so I'll take my chances without saturated fats.
Until the guru's can recognise that, there is a massive flaw in their teachings.
I can only speak for myself but my 3.3 LDL was due to lavishes of double cream, cheddar cheese, soft full-fat philly, butter and even some sunflower oil for my fried breakfasts. Oh and chicken skins, pork scratchings etc.....

Walking and light exercise is the key!

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can only speak for myself but my 3.3 LDL was due to lavishes of double cream, cheddar cheese, soft full-fat philly, butter and even some sunflower oil for my fried breakfasts. Oh and chicken skins, pork scratchings etc.....

Walking and light exercise is the key!

I would agree, it would push mine up as well.

Reactions: 3 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Purely as a matter of interest, have you viewed the Zoe Harcombe presentation from the PHCUK Conference at all?

A

Avocado Sevenfold

It's still the same old faces though, Dr Aseem Malhotra, he seems to be plugging his new documentary in this article, probably worth watching out for, unless it's pay to view.

What we need to see is a few fresh faces in the mix.

I think you may be confusing cardiologists with X Factor judges. It's an easy mistake.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@sud5nala

Unwin, Malhotra and Trudi Deakin all spoke at the same conference last month.

This is Unwin (and his wife, also a GP)

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Avocado Sevenfold

True, wannabes that don't want to carry on their day job, but want to be seen on tv, for a quick moment of fame.
I am sure there are easier ways of achieving fame than going to medical school.

If someone has an idea to help me with my diabetes management, I am happy for them to stick it on the telly to get my attention. I can then take it or leave it.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am sure there are easier ways of achieving fame than going to medical school.

If someone has an idea to help me with my diabetes management, I am happy for them to stick it on the telly to get my attention. I can then take it or leave it.

I agree, as I said, when he gets it right, I will be interested.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very very few people can stick with this diet, for life.
I can't speak for life, but it's the 4 year anniversary of starting LCHF for me today - I find it a very easy diet to follow. I still believe that cutting grains out of my diet was the single best thing I've ever done for my health, not just my diabetes.

Reactions: 5 people