Newcastle diet without the shakes

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat a natural diet but am interested in the principles of the newcastle diet but don't want to drink the shakes. Can I achieve the same results without the shakes by limiting down to 800 cals/day. I already low carb and intermittent fast so what carb/fat ratio is the newcastle diet. Hopefully can use bone broth instead of shakes at the least.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
You can, a few people on here have. Michael Mosley has a book out called 'the 8 week blood sugar diet'. Its based on the NC diet but with food.

Reactions: 2 people

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I eat a natural diet but am interested in the principles of the newcastle diet but don't want to drink the shakes. Can I achieve the same results without the shakes by limiting down to 800 cals/day. I already low carb and intermittent fast so what carb/fat ratio is the newcastle diet. Hopefully can use bone broth instead of shakes at the least.
Good luck!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I would t want the shakes either but the other thing that stops me is all those carbs.
If I want a cleanse or reset I just fast from BF until dinner. And I keep BF to half an avocado. I need to eat in the morning or I spike and I like dinner haha, I just keep calories low.

Are you trying to lose weight or what is your goal?

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.

Your question is excellent and the responses from those who have experienced the ND are interesting.

If you are already low carving with IF what are your objectives? Good luck:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was looking at it from the point of view of perhaps putting my diabetes into remission (don't like the word reversing :) ). I was going to do it for 8 weeks and see if I could lose the internal fat. Am not ready to start now but just doing some research.

PosyPip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You can, a few people on here have. Michael Mosley has a book out called 'the 8 week blood sugar diet'. Its based on the NC diet but with food.
I did this diet very successfully - HbA1C from 42 to 38 in 12 weeks, Weight 2 stone in 9 weeks and blood pressure down to low end of normal.

I did two meals a day, so my eve meal was a decent size. It was pretty easy, I usually ate fewer than 800 cals but cheated once or twice - hence the 9 weeks duration.

Reactions: 4 people

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am going to wait until I am nearer my ideal weight as am struggling with skin shrinking back at the moment so want to keep things slow. Did my body fat in Boots yesterday and it came back at 50% :-O but am coming out of 7 years of very restricted mobility so need to build some basic muscle back up as well as losing the fat. Am just starting exercising with kettlebells so hopefully that will start to kick in. Will have a look at Michael Mosley as he's on kindle, thanks.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I did this diet very successfully - HbA1C from 42 to 38 in 12 weeks, Weight 2 stone in 9 weeks and blood pressure down to low end of normal.

I did two meals a day, so my eve meal was a decent size. It was pretty easy, I usually ate fewer than 800 cals but cheated once or twice - hence the 9 weeks duration.
Wow pip well done, I have the book...just need to read it. Did you find it easy to do?

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Did you reverse your diabetes?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am going to wait until I am nearer my ideal weight as am struggling with skin shrinking back at the moment so want to keep things slow. Did my body fat in Boots yesterday and it came back at 50% :-O but am coming out of 7 years of very restricted mobility so need to build some basic muscle back up as well as losing the fat. Am just starting exercising with kettlebells so hopefully that will start to kick in. Will have a look at Michael Mosley as he's on kindle, thanks.

Lemonie , I have been removed from my surgery's diabetes register due to reduced and sustained HbA1cs. I didn't do the ND, not did I particularly low cal, but I did get very slim.

@andcol does describe his excellent, and sustained, results as a result of doing the ND, but using real food, which is what I think you are considering. Andcol has a link in his signature to a thread he created describing his first few months.

Professor Taylor states it doesn't matter how you lose weight, but weightloss is usually fairly critical to defatting the liver and pancreas, which also appears critical in reversing/curing/sending into remission** (choose your preferred controversial word) T2. When I asked him what sort of diet did his successful patients utilised after diagnosis, he said it varied, but he was very clear maintaining their weight loss (or at least some of it) was key to not re-triggering their diabetes switch.

Good luck with it all.

PosyPip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Wow pip well done, I have the book...just need to read it. Did you find it easy to do?

I did find it relatively easy, but I was highly motivated. I have described it as 'hard core' to people who have wanted to lose weight after seeing my weight loss results, and none of them have stuck it for more than a few days! They were a mix of type 2 and non-diabetics who just wanted to lose weight.

You also have to remain motivated afterwards to keep the weight off and in my case continue to lose it. Prof Taylor says that you need to eat 2/3rds of what you ate prior to the diet, which seems about right, and I've also continued to lose by using intermittent fasting - various lengths from 16hrs to 5 days. This is great for weight loss and BS levels

Did you reverse your diabetes?

Well, my HbA1C is below prediabetic levels, so yes as far as that goes. I'm also able to eat carbs with much less impact on BS levels.....but if I put the weight back on or started to eat lots of carbs again, I may well be back where I started.

@AndBreathe - my liver test results show that I no longer have a fatty liver.

mrs gimli

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Racists or hatred. Disrespect for people.
Did you record

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Is getting rid of fatty liver the same as doing ND?

Geminigirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spicy food
Do you have to stop yr Meds when you start? I can (and have had) hypos on my med if I miss a meal or have a low meal so that is a worry.
When I did lighterlife years ago I recall having to stop my Gliclazide immediately and my doc was horrified.

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Do you have to stop yr Meds when you start? I can (and have had) hypos on my med if I miss a meal or have a low meal so that is a worry.
When I did lighterlife years ago I recall having to stop my Gliclazide immediately and my doc was horrified.

You should notify your doctor/DN of any diet you might do. But yes you really need to stop the Gliclazide as that will knock your BG down fast. I believe it is safe to continue Metformin but when I started I gave up all 3 of my T2 meds which included Metformin and Gliclazide.
I have had no problems and my BGs now are great.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/peerless67-newcastle-diet.124417/

Honeyend

If I want to eat food but eat 800 or less, I have never used shakes, I make pots of food. Its a bit like the cabbage diet.
I use dried textured soya, tin tomatoes, onions, veg, garlic, flavouring of the day, so it adds up to 500cals. There is usually so much it lasts three meals.
This allows 300cals, for milk, eggs, yoghurt or some stinky cheese.
This is also a great way to save money on food as a 1kg of dry soya is about £1.50 and lasts for ever.