Type 2 Is type 2 an autoimmune symptom too?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I totally agree. @AndBreathe
I felt lighter on lchf but I didn't get the weight loss others have declared, even with a recorded overactive thyroid whilst on it.
I find that strange.
I know I'll be accuse of not doing it properly but I took all the advice and used it.
Others are losing weight and coming off meds when I resulted on more.
I'm desperate for lchf to work for me, tweaking but no difference hence this thread.
What is my condition all about?
Even researchers don't know.
I was looking for people's experiences in this field and wonder if autoimmune diseases treatments are my solution?
Or am I barking up the wrong tree completely?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I felt lighter on lchf but I didn't get the weight loss others have declared, even with a recorded overactive thyroid whilst on it.
I find that strange.
I know I'll be accuse of not doing it properly but I took all the advice and used it.
I'm desperate for lchf to work for me, tweaking but no difference hence this thread.
I was looking for people's experiences in this field and wonder if autoimmune diseases treatments are my solution?

Sometimes the "why" is useful information, and sometimes it's critical, but frustratingly it's not always possible to know why.

When initially diagnosed, i went through a brief period of "why did this happen to me", but I quickly realised that looking to the past was never going to move me forward, so I parked those thoughts and started on a new goal, which was absolutely purely to get my numbers into place.

I appreciate I was astonished to find myself losing weight, as well as my numbers coming down. Such was my focus on getting my numbers down that I didn't weigh myself for four months after diagnosis, and only then, just a few days before coming back to the UK for my first review.

My message in all that isn't to rub your nose in the ease with which I got skinny, but to try to encourage you to have one goal at a time, and allow time for progress to occur on that goal before changing anything.

My approach to these things has always been to plan, set a target, deploy the plan and set review points. The review points have to be realistic - not days or a couple of weeks, but a bit longer.

There is a real danger you could soon have almost literally have "tried everything, and nothing works". It's taken us a while to get to where we are, so it seems reasonable to think it could take a while to get to where we want to end up.

Good luck with it all.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I find that strange.

Hi there :oops: I too have a very very hard time losing weight. Back in 2005 when I was first diagnosed I went on Atkins and stayed on strict induction level as well as making sure I was low calorie. The weight came off fast and my bg came right into line.The doctor told me how great I was doing and said I was no longer diabetic. I believed him :confused::nailbiting::bigtears: Here I am, may 2016, all the weight is back, neuropathy appears, A1C 10.5%, feel like ****. OK, I know how to deal with this !! But the weight is not falling off this time, the neuropathy is a little bit better but not anywhere near gone, my numbers are not just falling into line. Numbers are better but this time I am needing meds to get them down even with lchf and they are anything but perfect. Liver just keeps on dumping lol. But here is the thing. I am older, I have multiple autoimmune diseases which limit exercise, I am now post menopausal, and the diabetes has progressed. I have lost a few pounds but it has taken months of lchf, limiting calories and being frustrated. It is hard to listen to other people having what seems to be effortless success doing the same things you are doing when you are struggling. You want to be happy for them and you are but can't help that little voice saying why not me too? What am I doing wrong?
I don't think you are doing it wrong. I think there are probably many more "lurkers" on here that are just as frustrated. People that are having great success want to tell the world and that is understandable. It is much harder to tell the world "I am struggling and I don't know why" Well I am struggling too and all I can tell you is to keep plugging away and know that you are not the only one.
Sending you and anyone else that needs it a big hug. ;)o_O

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there :oops: I too have a very very hard time losing weight. Back in 2005 when I was first diagnosed I went on Atkins and stayed on strict induction level as well as making sure I was low calorie. The weight came off fast and my bg came right into line.The doctor told me how great I was doing and said I was no longer diabetic. I believed him :confused::nailbiting::bigtears: Here I am, may 2016, all the weight is back, neuropathy appears, A1C 10.5%, feel like ****. OK, I know how to deal with this !! But the weight is not falling off this time, the neuropathy is a little bit better but not anywhere near gone, my numbers are not just falling into line. Numbers are better but this time I am needing meds to get them down even with lchf and they are anything but perfect. Liver just keeps on dumping lol. But here is the thing. I am older, I have multiple autoimmune diseases which limit exercise, I am now post menopausal, and the diabetes has progressed. I have lost a few pounds but it has taken months of lchf, limiting calories and being frustrated. It is hard to listen to other people having what seems to be effortless success doing the same things you are doing when you are struggling. You want to be happy for them and you are but can't help that little voice saying why not me too? What am I doing wrong?
I don't think you are doing it wrong. I think there are probably many more "lurkers" on here that are just as frustrated. People that are having great success want to tell the world and that is understandable. It is much harder to tell the world "I am struggling and I don't know why" Well I am struggling too and all I can tell you is to keep plugging away and know that you are not the only one.

Marvellous post.
I agree completely.
I love that some people lose weight easily on LC, or low calorie, or low fat, and that they get their bloods under control, and they seem sorted.

But for some (many?) of us that is just round one. And the game gets harder the more rounds we go.

If i could get any one thing through to newly diagnosed type 2s, it is that once you get control, keep it, because every time you lapse, it gets harder.

luna50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@chalup

You write:
"People that are having great success want to tell the world and that is understandable"

It is not understandable, because this people do not understand that there are persons with T2DM on different stage end them self. They put down persons who use insulin and medications for treatment of the T2DM and tell people that they can reverse the T2DM if they use Low-Carb diet.
All that show to me this people know nothing about the disease T2DM. This people create an image for oneself, but the hour of destiny will catch up them.
You write: " What am I doing wrong? ". You do nothing wrong. My opinion is you shall take a serious talk with your doctor to find the right medication for your problem.

I hope and wish to you a better life in the future

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
luna50.
Please don't tar every one with the same brush. Those that have some success with their diet are pleased and wish to share their good fortune with others.
I have had some success in this respect but I know that I am not cured. I have to keep testing and checking. Maybe I will have a set back. Who knows ? This desease is extremely complex and we must be prepared to expect the unexpected.
I wish you too a better life, and more so, a happier one.:)

Reactions: 5 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I had a serious talk with my doctor and the medication he decided was best for me was no diabetic medication at all.

I have now to hope that the damage done to me whilst undiagnosed abates or goes away completely.Now that I have normal blood sugar levels.As for the future no one knows for sure what may happen.

Reactions: 4 people

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@ickihun

In my post to you I did not say that in the last 10-15 years I have cycled through methotrexate, cyclosporin, amevive, embrel, remicade, humira, and the latest is stelara. All are immune modifiers or suppressants. All have been in an attempt to conrol severe autoimmune disease, and none have halted or noticably slowed the progression of the diabetes.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@chalup I totally agree.

We should call ourselves 'the long standers'.

We cannot be knocked for our determination to try and beat diabetes type 2 or whatever our type is.
Maybe because we've had it so long our bodies have reconditioned itself.
Yes I definitely have severe insulin resistance and other medical conditions which i've gained along the way.
I wonder what came first - the chicken or the egg (diabetes or failing thyroid production or the virus which caused inflammation of my facial nerve. Not forgetting pcos which is assisted by metformin).
God only knows!

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@chalup I totally agree.

We should call ourselves 'the long standers'.

We cannot be knocked for our determination to try and beat diabetes type 2 or whatever our type is.
Maybe because we've had it so long our bodies have reconditioned itself.
Yes I definitely have severe insulin resistance and other medical conditions which i've gained along the way.
I wonder what came first - the chicken or the egg (diabetes or failing thyroid production or the virus which caused inflammation of my facial nerve. Not forgetting pcos which is assisted by metformin).
God only knows!

I went through premature menopause at 37 years old now at 48 I have been put on metformin. Because they do not know why I went through menopause so early and so abruptly (diagnosed diabetic and menopause same appointment) speculation could be autoimmune attack on ovaries or long term methotrexate, I have been told that metformin could wake my ovaries and I could start cycling again. ?????? NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! I am so done, I don't want to have to go through menopause again. Just the thought makes me want to have a tantrum lol. I guess though it will be what it will be lol. I too wonder about chickens and eggs. Lets just make a nice low carb omelette :confused:

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

You hit the nail on the head.... you just have to keep plugging at it.

I've tried a lot over the years and yet here I am with multiple illnesses now which make managing diabetes even harder than it ever was. To top it off in the past year I've had so many med changes that have triggered weight gain on me again. Like you I'm limited with being able to exercise as basically every time I move it triggers pain and symptoms. My digestive system I'd like the idea if I could pull it out and give it a good stretch and see if that helps... as naturally you rub a cramp in your leg but you can't do the same with your digestive tract. My doc often says the same thing to me (what I just said I'd like to do). Modern medicine doesn't have the answers to everything. To make it worse when it comes to managing diabetes with what I have they don't know the answers to that either... my endocrinologist is fascinated with me because he's never had anyone with what I have wrong before. He teaches other docs to be endo's here.... so he likes to check on me and most of the discussion is about my other illnesses and their effect on me and my diabetes. Things aren't straight forward for everyone that's for sure... I just wished it was... then it would be easier. I wish you the best in your pursuit for the good levels and weight loss. :)

luna50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just read

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/222766.php

and thought I'd ask you guys what you think.

Is type 2 also an autoimmune disease too?
_____________________________________________________________________________________
For about two day a go, one professor on the Copenhagen university claims on the Danish television that he has invented what is the reason for development off T2DM.
A fragment of the claim (Translated from Danish) ::

"For large amounts of two specific bacterial species in the human gut is directly associated with insulin resistance. It demonstrates a Danish-international team, who have just got their results published in the leading science journal Nature.

"It is a significant medical breakthrough of the format in our understanding of the specific bacterial species in the human intestines, which contribute to the development of insulin resistance and thus a number of serious diseases, in particular type 2 diabetes," says the studio's executive senior writer, professor, head of research, Oluf Borbye Pedersen, University of Copenhagen, denmark.

"In fact, we must, in our study raise the perhaps provocative question: Is type 2 diabetes, in fact, a chronic infectious disease triggered by bacteria in the intestines? It will be a significant addition to the current view of the disease, where we know that it is triggered by our genes as well as lack of exercise and too much food"."

What is UP and what is DOWN? What will be the next claim?

Regrettably, I am living in the world of conspirators theories.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is certainly some interesting work going on, looking at the gut microbiome and metabolic disarray. Although significantly modified to suit TV journalism, there was a interesting programmes on UK TV, last month, if I recall correctly, looking, in that case, specifically at the gut microbiome and gaining weight/obesity.

If my memory serves me well enough, I recall that one particular lady on the study had, as a result of c-difficile, become unable to digest well, with unpleasant, alarming and uncomfortable (not to mention socially unacceptable) symptoms. She underwent a faecal transplant, with her daughter the donor. After the transplant, she found her body had adopted some of her daughter's characteristics of gaining weight, with difficulty losing it again, whereas before her c-diff she had been able to eat pretty much whatever she wanted, without any impact on her weight or other metabolic markers.

For me, the research is a little immature yet, in terms of quantum and findings, too be anything except mildly interesting, but I do appreciate that what goes on in my gut impacts on many aspects of my life. For a portfolio disease, like T2, there is no reason to believe there could be something quite significant in it all.

I wouldn't say the world is full of conspirators in this regard, I prefer to think of it as courageous thinkers who are not afraid to say what they think and find. If we always do as we always did, we'll always get what we always got.

Of course, time will tell.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Regrettably, I am living in the world of conspirators theories.
What so you think the world is conspiring against you?

Mind you a retired judge once in 2011 told the families of the Hillsborough disaster victims to drop their conspiricy theories

So one persons conspiracy theory is some one else's truth waiting to be told.

And as has been said time will tell

Reactions: 3 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@chalup

You write:
"People that are having great success want to tell the world and that is understandable"

It is not understandable, because this people do not understand that there are persons with T2DM on different stage end them self. They put down persons who use insulin and medications for treatment of the T2DM and tell people that they can reverse the T2DM if they use Low-Carb diet.
All that show to me this people know nothing about the disease T2DM. This people create an image for oneself, but the hour of destiny will catch up them.
You write: " What am I doing wrong? ". You do nothing wrong. My opinion is you shall take a serious talk with your doctor to find the right medication for your problem.

I hope and wish to you a better life in the future

You had it for a moment when you wrote.... there are persons with T2DM on different stage end them self... then you lost it. That is the point. There are going to be people who can and who can't respond to different treatments... and no one is putting anyone down when they describe their own experience.

luna50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you @MikePea
I know no all the people who have success are ignorant's. But if there is one off them it is one to much. Moreover in this forum is not place for this sort of people. It is a job for the moderators. @Mep write about this problem in the letter she post. There are many off this ignorant.
I wish to you the same for your future

luna50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@JohnEGreen

You comment is aut of context. Write something usable.
Please read careful the letter. I do not write some one is conspiring against me. I write there are a thousand off journals who claims they has solved the DM problem. To guess it means to make conspiration about that. I understand that on this way.
You write:
" So one persons conspiracy theory is some one else's truth waiting to be told.
And as has been said time will tell".
But if I read a thousand off them, then I am TIRED off that, because they are NEC ( Not Enough Close) to the truth. My opinion is this people should wait until what they claim is proved.
Persons with T2DM do not have benefit off false claim's. Perhaps you have.

Have a nice day

PS Do not read my letter's as the devil read the text from the bible.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @MikePea
I know no all the people who have success are ignorant's. But if there is one off them it is one to much. Moreover in this forum is not place for this sort of people. It is a job for the moderators. @Mep write about this problem in the letter she post. There are many off this ignorant.
I wish to you the same for your future
Oddly enough there are quite a few of us on this forum who low carb/LCHF with normal, not even prediabetic readings while on no diabetes medication. Suppose it could be called success but in my view it's more about logic.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@JohnEGreen

You comment is aut of context. Write something usable.
Please read careful the letter. I do not write some one is conspiring against me. I write there are a thousand off journals who claims they has solved the DM problem. To guess it means to make conspiration about that. I understand that on this way.
You write:
" So one persons conspiracy theory is some one else's truth waiting to be told.
And as has been said time will tell".
But if I read a thousand off them, then I am TIRED off that, because they are NEC ( Not Enough Close) to the truth. My opinion is this people should wait until what they claim is proved.
Persons with T2DM do not have benefit off false claim's. Perhaps you have.

Have a nice day

PS Do not read my letter's as the devil read the text from the bible.

I thought @JohnEGreen gave rather a spiffing example of when a claim of conspiracy turns out to the verity.. so it can happen... and yet you ignored it... again... the families of the 96 waited a very long time....