Noodles!

6cats

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having averaged BG levels of 6.5 for a while, last night In had fresh egg noodles in a stir fry and added a tablespoon of sweet chilli sauce! This morning I have a reading of 13.0!?!? I have a very estrange thick head, eyesight a bit odd and feel a bit sick! Are these symptoms symptomatic of a very high BG Reading! I am assuming noodles and chilli sauce are a no no. Is there anything I can do to reduce this BG level.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Never felt sick but the other symptoms are associated with high bg levels, safe to say that the noodles and chilli sauce are a No No for you.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Typically egg noodles are around 25g per 100g cooked. Whole wheat noodles are slightly less at 19g / 100g

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
From my own experience it depends hugely on the type of noodles you're using and what they're made from.

Our Blue Dragon 'Sweet' chilli sauce is around 55% sugar - so if you had a tablespoon of it by yourself................!

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What was in the sauce?
I would get a reaction like that if it was full of colour, flavour, sweeteners, MSG, or anything along those lines...

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What was in the sauce?
I would get a reaction like that if it was full of colour, flavour, sweeteners, MSG, or anything along those lines...
My experience of premixed ready to wok stir fry sauces has been diabolical, for the same reasons as Brunneria states here. for me MSG is a killer since it is basically liquid starch. i am allergic to stock pots, but ok with Stock cubes.

Phub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Hate the doctor's surgery. The Doctor is okay though.
Say no to noodles. There must be starch in them if they make you feel like that.
I pigged out on a box of Maynards Wine gums last week. My blood sugar went up, but other than that, no ill-effects whatsoever. After a snooze, (which is to be expected after a sugar load) my blood sugar came down to near normal about 1 1/2 hours later. The only other problem was the irresistible urge to buy another box the next day. So I ask myself, am I really Type 2?

6cats

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all! I did not really check the sauce properly! I am usually good, lulled into a sense of security, bit of a wake up call. No noodles, something else of my list! Is there any alternative!

Phub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Hate the doctor's surgery. The Doctor is okay though.
I believe you can buy cheesey noodles cum spaghetti.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all! I did not really check the sauce properly! I am usually good, lulled into a sense of security, bit of a wake up call. No noodles, something else of my list! Is there any alternative!

I have seen others on LC diets investing in a spiraliser, anf this can turn courgettes and other veg into spaghetti / noodle type pasta alternatives. There is also LC noodles that can be bought, but this is an expensive alternative, and apparently the taste / smell leaves one less enthusiatic. Check the Low Carb Forum thread.

Mandy Hexter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A julienne peeler will give you fine veg noodles and it's cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

MaxineKL

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes

Konjak noodles (konyaku) are widely available in North America. Do you have them in the UK? They're virtually carb-free, and very nice if rinsed before cooking and especially if mixed with boiled or steamed spiralized zucchini (aka courgetti) and briefly stir-fried with tofu or chicken and veg or served with a low-carb tomato sauce and cheese.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
From all my experience noodles are banned from my diet, very bad spikes and takes ages coming down. Not worth it in my opinion. Also no pasta for me either. :)