Does the heat make you feel ill

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Talking to a fellow diabetic found that we both really fear the heat as makes us feel really ill so anyone else too and just how do you deal with it

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Nope. Just makes me hot. Love to roll out the shorts and flip flops then sit outside and sup chilled prosecco!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Like @AnitaMac I feel nauseous, dizzy and I also get short-tempered I hide from the heat indoors as much as I can. My BS levels are also higher in the heat

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I do not handle extremely hot days well at all but that's not down to diabetes but one of my co morbidities.

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel less hungry on LCHF I guess, but otherwise enjoy it in moderation ;)

lynnstorm1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hate the hot weather, makes me feel ill, I also have fibromyalgia, and my internal is broken, can go from hot to cold in seconds. Even though blood sugars are really well under control, I get hypo's with the heat.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have to confess, although I love the heat, I do need several towels in the truck, as I always need to wipe my face, as I still manage to sweat so much that there are times I can't see.
And I can get through litres of liquids a day.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
It may be personal and not diabetes related, of course.

I am quite enjoying the hot weather (although we are still in the mid 20s here near the sea. The mid 30s inland would probably have me struggling a bit).

My non-diabetic wife cannot handle the heat at all - once the temperature is over about 23C she just has to go and lie down in a cool room.

So yet again, correlation and causation not lining up. ;)

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't like the heat it makes me ratty .. The wife cannot handle heat or sunshine (sunshine, with or without heat) she faints !!!!!! She also cannot sweat, so I have to throw a bucket of cool water over her when she's passed out in the heat.

shwe_shan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Talking to a fellow diabetic found that we both really fear the heat as makes us feel really ill so anyone else too and just how do you deal with it
I absolutely hate the heat. It's not because of the diabetes, although it does seriously affect it, but my makeup. Since a small child I have always associated it with pain, my joints swell up. All I can do, apart from going to a cold climate every summer, is to keep from going out in it if possible, have a fan on me all the time, wear thin loose clothing and sipping water, room temperature,, every ten minutes. Also sitting in a darkened room with the windows wide open can help.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Never liked it. Even as a child.
The rest of my family think they are lizards.
I am a mushroom.
:D

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I absolutely hate the heat. It's not because of the diabetes, although it does seriously affect it, but my makeup. Since a small child I have always associated it with pain, my joints swell up. All I can do, apart from going to a cold climate every summer, is to keep from going out in it if possible, have a fan on me all the time, wear thin loose clothing and sipping water, room temperature,, every ten minutes. Also sitting in a darkened room with the windows wide open can help.

THANK YOU! you have reminded me I have 2 small USB fans. One for on the desk, and one for blowing up my skirt under the desk.

I kid you not.

Makes SUCH a difference!!!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love the heat, and always have done. Today's 29c is perfect working outdoors, like gardening, weather for me. I also don't find it too humid (or indeed humid at all), right now.

Wryy not, it'll be back to BAU in a few days and I'll be back to whinging, rather that smiling from eat to ear. :D <<<< see!

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Like Brunneria I am a mushroom with a little usb fan on my desk. Never thought of blowing a fan up my skirt, sounds like a fantastic idea to me :wideyed::cool::p

6cats

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Find it very difficult But I think that is more down to my under active thyroid of many years! Can't really manage effectively with continually changing weather!

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

holmroad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cabbage, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts.
Unnecessary obesity.
Like heat but only up to 78deg F!
(Type 1, Levemir/Novorapid Basal Bolus regime)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Makes me ill. Even as a child, Before I became old, fat and grumpy.
Sun brings out an allergic rash. Have to watch for asthma worsening, least effort has me wheezing. I cannot eat, still get stomach upsets though. Joints ache. Sweat profusely. Hot days are non-days for me as I cannot function. Or get comfortable enough to sleep through them. Today BG levels have been very erratic.
I don't like very cold weather much, either. Different problems with that, but would choose too cold over too hot every time.
I quite like spring and autumn, so it is not all gloom and doom.