Tummy weight

Barry Holt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Drivers who speed in built up areas
has anyone any idea how to lose tummy weight from below belly button I've lost almost 3 stone but don't seem able to shift it of lower stomach ,it's driving me mad trying but not winning

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suppose that if you continue to lose weight then it will eventually go since it is unlikely to end up as just you and a lumpy stomach.

According to some accounts fructose and alcohol are the worst sinners for visceral fat. Try cutting down on those if you haven't already. Half of table sugar is fructose and , of course, sugary fruit.

Reactions: 4 people

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm with you on this one, @Barry Holt, my sympathies; I think I can understand how you feel because I have exactly the same problem :(
Like you, I have done quite well with general weight loss with diet and exercise, mainly walking, though there is still a bit to go around the stomach/'love handles' area, but my belly fat doesn't seem to have moved one bit ! Very disappointing, and frustrating.

@Squire Fulwood mentions: "I suppose that if you continue to lose weight then it will eventually go since it is unlikely to end up as just you and a lumpy stomach." [Sorry, don't know how to quote while I'm already halfway through a post]

I hope you're right on this Squire, but it sure is taking it's time about it. I don't knowingly have any sugar and only the occasional weekend tot watered down with plenty of diluted tonic, so I don't know what else to give up.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
has anyone any idea how to lose tummy weight from below belly button I've lost almost 3 stone but don't seem able to shift it of lower stomach ,it's driving me mad trying but not winning

Two questions to think about.

Firstly, is your muscle tone decent in your tummy area? You don't have a hernia do you? Secondly, what's your skin tone like? Do you have some spare skin or is everything still pretty taut? "Spare" skin can appear to be fat filled, but often isn't.

Agraham1826

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi! I had this issue and still do, the best thing I've done is a no carb diet. I'm a big carb lover and thought it would be so so hard considering I find it hard to stick to a diet anyway but it really worked for me :) just eating lots of protein really filled me up and I didn't actually crave the carbs after just a day!

Barry Holt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Good Morning thanks for all your replies,my carbs are around 30/35 per bay my waist size has gone from 44" to 38" no hernia, wine is perhaps 3/4 small glasses a week,it doesn't appear to be slack skinn,it's quite taut,all I can do is plod on and hope for the improvement no matter how slow in coming.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sit ups? I'm planning on starting the 'situps pro' app tonight, anyone want to join me?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Barry Holt I have the same problem. I've lost over 2 stone and about 4" on my waist, but I am still about half an inch more on my waist than I should be. Most of that seems to be in a slab of fat where I should have a six pack!
I am sort of resigned to being unable to shift it, but if you do manage to do it, let us know how.:)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've worked with personal trainers a few times to get leaner, and the answer to the belly fat problem is that it is the last area that you lose fat from. You don't start to see muscle in the abdominal area until your overall body fat level is typically below 10%.

Eating low carb is the right thing to do, and some level of resistance training that works the abs will help with muscle definition, but I'm afraid to get rid of what's there, it's just hard slog.

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found my stomach fat was the last place to go, but it did go eventually and exercise helped tighten it up

qe5rt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Generally speaking you lose fat in the reverse order you gained it. Most males have a genetic disposition to gain a lot of fat in the belly region especially on the height of the belly button. You can't spot reduce fat, meaning that ab exercises of any kind wont specifically target your abdominal fat. So you'll have to lose overall weight (fat) to reduce fat in your belly region. It seems to get harder to lose the older you get too. It's up to you how far you're willing to go and not only that but what you have to do to keep it low.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the other thing I would probably mention here, whether strictly relevant or not, is to have a bit of a review on your posture. Many folks who carry weight in a particular eventually modify, even just a bit, their posture, to accommodate the longer term discomfort of carrying that weight around. It's similar for those who have, say, hip pain, and still limp after their replacement, because that has become their "normal" gait.

Of course, I'm not suggesting that's actually ever going to shift any poundage, but great posture sure does display any body in it's best light.

Barry Holt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sit ups? I'm planning on starting the 'situps pro' app tonight, anyone want to join me?
Don't think my back would stand it, in fact I know it wouldn't (ha ha) but I wish you good luck