Recently diagnosed

macdeut

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, diagnosed about a month ago with Type 2. Hba1c of 98 at initial testing.
I was having no classic symptoms until put on steroids for a really bad chest infection that wasn't clearing. Then needing to go to the toilet every hour. This ceased when steroids ended.
Other complications are thyroid is slightly overactive but being monitored at present rather than medicated.
Diet wise unsure what to do. I have a severe seafood allergy, including all fish, am vegetarian and lactose intolerant.
Nurse suggested I could try porridge with almond milk which I am doing but reading on the forum is suggesting I should not be adding more carbs to my diet. Only other advice was to reduce my fruit consumption, especially avoid grapes.
Not given anyway of testing my levels so kind of at a standstill until I go back in a couple of months and don't know what to do.
Thanks for reading this.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi, diagnosed about a month ago with Type 2. Hba1c of 98 at initial testing.
I was having no classic symptoms until put on steroids for a really bad chest infection that wasn't clearing. Then needing to go to the toilet every hour. This ceased when steroids ended.
Other complications are thyroid is slightly overactive but being monitored at present rather than medicated.
Diet wise unsure what to do. I have a severe seafood allergy, including all fish, am vegetarian and lactose intolerant.
Nurse suggested I could try porridge with almond milk which I am doing but reading on the forum is suggesting I should not be adding more carbs to my diet. Only other advice was to reduce my fruit consumption, especially avoid grapes.
Not given anyway of testing my levels so kind of at a standstill until I go back in a couple of months and don't know what to do.
Thanks for reading this.

Hello macdeut,welcome to the forum1st i will ask
@daisy1
For the info for new posters, have a good read this will introduce you to the besics of learning to control our diabetes, clive

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

I suggest you buy your own meter and test strips. Most of us type 2s have to self fund. If you want to learn what your food is doing to your levels, which to avoid, which to reduce, and which you can eat, then a meter is the only way to go. There is no other way of doing it. Without a meter you are working blind. If you decide to buy one, ignore the cost of the meter itself because you only buy this once (and many are actually given away for free), but take note of the cost of the test strips as you will need a lot of these and can be very expensive. Many of us here use the Codefree because it uses the cheapest strips available.

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/

Have a good read round the forum threads and also the main website to learn as much as you can, and ask questions. Note the role of carbs and how it is necessary to reduce them, plus fruit. Porridge is a danger food because of the carb content although some people can manage small amounts. A meter would tell you if you can or can't. Most fruits are difficult. Berries are generally the best choice, but not in huge quantities. Again, this is where a meter comes in handy. Generally speaking the main culprits are rice, potatoes, bread, pasta, flour and cereals.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@macdeut - Hello and Welcome to the Forum :). Have a read around the threads and don't be afraid to ask questions, there will always be someone to give you an answer.

macdeut

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry for not answering these responses yesterday. For some reason on the ipad it kept saying that my posts could not be sent as they may be spam or inappropriate content.
Trying today from a PC.
Thanks to everyone for answering. I have ordered a Codefree meter and will take it from there.
I guess I am not sure what it is ok to eat - seems to be the recommended things for diabetics eg meat, fish, dairy are things I can't eat for other reasons.
I had been eating around 10 portion of fruit a day plus a couple of veg portions before diagnosis. Have cut this right back. Once I get my meter I can see what is triggering me. I know that I eat too much carbs loads of pasta. And with the medical staff suggesting I put porridge in the morning and snack on oatcakes that seems to be even more carbs!
Doctor suggested that the Prednisolone steroid I was on may have triggered the diabetes - don't know if that is common or not.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@macdeut - Apologies, didn't read your posting properly. Go to the top of this page and click on Forums, scroll down until you come to FOOD and NUTRITION - there you will see all sorts of headings for diets - just click on whichever :).

macdeut

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, have spent the evening reading.
Had veggie curry and spoonful of rice tonight with reading of 6.3 after two hours. Curry was butternut squash and cauliflower with a handful of peas, home made
It's ok I won't be posting every reading I take!

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi @macdeut My nurse insisted I should eat porridge for breakfast plus plenty of starch at every meal. Aye right o_O The best you can do is get your meter and test your reactions to foods. There is plenty of dairy free veggie food available to keep you on track. Just ask if you have any questions.

macdeut

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks today was 3.9 on waking and 5.1 2 hrs after porridge and 1 slice of rye bread. Meter only arrived yesterday so still trying it out. 2 mile hike before lunch of mushroom omelette so will see how it goes. It may be that the porridge is ok for me from this reading.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Thanks today was 3.9 on waking and 5.1 2 hrs after porridge and 1 slice of rye bread. Meter only arrived yesterday so still trying it out. 2 mile hike before lunch of mushroom omelette so will see how it goes. It may be that the porridge is ok for me from this reading.

I think that would depend on any medicine you are taking, but those numbers look good to me.

Here is a link to what it says on the main site about steroids.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/steroid-induced-diabetes.html

macdeut

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks not on medication, recently diagnosed and having three months without to see how I get on.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Were you diagnosed when you were on the steroids? The link states that steroid use can raise blood glucose levels then they drop after you stop using them.

macdeut

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had been off them for ten days when fasting bloods taken which were 12. Following week hb1ac was 98 and go said that the steroid may have been a trigger.