Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Moths & mushrooms!
People who are ignorant towards diabetes :(
Animal cruelty
People who use their mobile phones whilst driving
I've been T1 for 18 years, and in 2013 I was diagnosed with epilepsy which was pretty rubbish :(

As we all know, the DVLA are generally cautious with diabetic drivers - so adding epilepsy into the mix was a barrel of laughs! Thankfully, after volunteering my licence to them, and not driving for almost a year & not having any fits/hypos they gave it back with no further restrictions (still 3 year review). Happy days!

I don't find that either interferes with each other, which is great!

Anybody else T1 & epileptic?

Reactions: 2 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
I've been T1 for 18 years, and in 2013 I was diagnosed with epilepsy which was pretty rubbish :(

As we all know, the DVLA are generally cautious with diabetic drivers - so adding epilepsy into the mix was a barrel of laughs! Thankfully, after volunteering my licence to them, and not driving for almost a year & not having any fits/hypos they gave it back with no further restrictions (still 3 year review). Happy days!

I don't find that either interferes with each other, which is great!

Anybody else T1 & epileptic?
no..but wish you good controls and happy driving,

Larkin1

Hi,
I have type 1 and have been diagnosed with nocturnal epilepsy which occurs as a result of hypoglycaemia at night.
There are lots of occasions when I have night time hypoglycaemia and no seizure, but there are occasions especially when I am dealing with stress where I get auras like dizziness, dejavu etc then have a severe nocturnal seizure. I have had these all my life but was previously told it was just diabetes related, then had three in a short period at the beginning of the year and got a diagnosis. The anti seizure meds aren't great the first prescription hospitalised me for side affects, the ones I'm on now seem better.

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I have type 1 and have been diagnosed with nocturnal epilepsy which occurs as a result of hypoglycaemia at night.
There are lots of occasions when I have night time hypoglycaemia and no seizure, but there are occasions especially when I am dealing with stress where I get auras like dizziness, dejavu etc then have a severe nocturnal seizure. I have had these all my life but was previously told it was just diabetes related, then had three in a short period at the beginning of the year and got a diagnosis. The anti seizure meds aren't great the first prescription hospitalised me for side affects, the ones I'm on now seem better.

Just found this thread..... Had a good chat to Zoe previously. I've been type 1 for 41 years and had nocturnal 'hypos' and seizures for about 39. My Mum and Dad were always backwards and forwards to casualty with me but then bought a blood test meter ( not free then ) at huge expense to try and pre-empt all the trauma. I carried on having them until 3 years ago when my husband noticed a connection between lack of sleep, stress and alcohol. He's a nurse and also said he'd done a blood test straight after and I hadn't been hypo at all. Anyway, it was epilepsy and I've not had a seizure since when they put me on Epilim. I've never had a daytime one, am not photo sensitive but after having it for about 10 years developed myoclonic jerks first thing in the morning after I'd got up. I never really made it out of bed with the nocturnal tonic clonic ones. If you Google juvenile myoclonic epilepsy it's all there. In actual fact, I've realised now that I've never really had a very bad hypo that I haven't been able to control myself, so that's helpful. I used to think I'd brought on hypos ( I had a bad seizure aged 18 and ended up grilling myself on the convector heater by the bed, 3rd degree burns, 4 skin grafts and 6 months in hozzy ) so although I still sometimes feel resentful that the epilepsy wasn't diagnosed earlier, I know that it wasn't caused by me being a 'bad diabetic' if you get me Anyway, good luck with it all - this is a great site for us

clarea

Just found this thread..... Had a good chat to Zoe previously. I've been type 1 for 41 years and had nocturnal 'hypos' and seizures for about 39. My Mum and Dad were always backwards and forwards to casualty with me but then bought a blood test meter ( not free then ) at huge expense to try and pre-empt all the trauma. I carried on having them until 3 years ago when my husband noticed a connection between lack of sleep, stress and alcohol. He's a nurse and also said he'd done a blood test straight after and I hadn't been hypo at all. Anyway, it was epilepsy and I've not had a seizure since when they put me on Epilim. I've never had a daytime one, am not photo sensitive but after having it for about 10 years developed myoclonic jerks first thing in the morning after I'd got up. I never really made it out of bed with the nocturnal tonic clonic ones. If you Google juvenile myoclonic epilepsy it's all there. In actual fact, I've realised now that I've never really had a very bad hypo that I haven't been able to control myself, so that's helpful. I used to think I'd brought on hypos ( I had a bad seizure aged 18 and ended up grilling myself on the convector heater by the bed, 3rd degree burns, 4 skin grafts and 6 months in hozzy ) so although I still sometimes feel resentful that the epilepsy wasn't diagnosed earlier, I know that it wasn't caused by me being a 'bad diabetic' if you get me Anyway, good luck with it all - this is a great site for us
Was wondering if you could tell the difference between the fit and hypo? I've had epilepsy for 38 years also had my left temporal lobe taken out 8 years ago. Sounds stupid but can you tell the difference between a hypo or a fit?
I have type II diabetes, epilepsy and pituitary tumour.

Last edited by a moderator:

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I'm not sure myself, apart from my husband saying my blood sugar wasn't low.....some people have said they've had seizures because of hypos ( saw my Dad very close to it quite a lot actually - he's type 1 with incredibly tight control ) and he did have all of the classic signs. All I can tell you is that despite some nocturnal lows where I've woken up sweaty etc, 3 years into to the epilepsy treatment I've not had a seizure. Confusing innit? Hope that helps but maybe ask your epilepsy nurse? Mine is really helpful. Hope you're well apart from all that x