Carb Counting - Similar Products, Same Per 100g But Different Per Portion?

Foxygirl

Hi there,

My partner is type 1 diabetic and uses a pump. I check labels and get the scales out so that when I make him a meal I can tell him how many carbs are in it so he knows how much insulin to take!

I recently bought two jars of maple syrup which are the same brand just different 'flavour strengths'. They both contain 63g of carbs per 100g. However, they contain very different carbs per serving (9.5g for the milder flavour one and 18.9g for the stronger flavour!) (a serving is stated as 15g for both).

I was just curious as to how this could be? I understand that perhaps there is a underlying reason, maybe to do with chemical composition or having different densities or viscosities but then wouldn't the carbs per 100g be different if this affected it? If they both contain the same carbs per 100g how can whittling it down to 15g make the carbs so different between them?

I would be interested to hear if there is some reason I am overlooking or if the product information might be inaccurate!

Many thanks!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I recently bought two jars of maple syrup which are the same brand just different 'flavour strengths'. They both contain 63g of carbs per 100g. However, they contain very different carbs per serving (9.5g for the milder flavour one and 18.9g for the stronger flavour!) (a serving is stated as 15g for both).

Very odd if both have 63g per 100g, the 9.5g per 15g serving is the correct figure for both unless we are missing something :confused:

Edit to add @Foxygirl , ring the manufacturer and ask them to explain.