Dangers In The Home

mark51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Negative people, Rain
Hi everyone!
It's been a while since I last posted and quite a lots changed. I've had med changes, then no meds, a doctor change to name a few things.
I was on gliclazide unfortunately this wasn't particularly good for me I ended up putting weight on, even on 1600 calories a day. The doctor decided eventually to take me off all meds as bloods had been controlled to non diabetic level. 3 month later put on metformin as hba1c had shown a slight rise. Then Metformin increased to two tablets a day.
Then the issue! my blood test showed a spike in my liver function, doctor told me I had to come off metformin. So 2 months off all meds.
So the new med was going to be Bydureon if I could inject myself.
So a once a week injection, this has been taken for the last 7 months.

What has it been like. I still feel nervous every sat. I've lost some weight and getting some good energy now.
Liver function back to normal.
Do I like the bydureon, not really. The size of the pen, the waiting for it to warm and then the mixing all causes anxiety.
But so far all is good, liver back to normal, kidneys good, cholesterol levels down and the all important bs down and stable.
Until I had a weekend of double figure bs readings. This Is the main point of this post.
This had me extremely worried as I had done nothing different to normal. I kept it from the one person who would help as she's been going through a bad time her self. Eventually I told her and she brought me back down and analysed what had happened. We traced it to some squash in the kitchen the wife had bought. It was the full high cheap sugar type.
Now I don't often drink squash but it was hot and I'd just got home after almost 5 hrs drive from work and collecting the car from the garage. I fancied a change to water. So after the weekend I was able to ask my friend for help.
When I talked to my wife she said I should check it before using it!
Well if I'm out I would, but In your own home!
I would have thought everything should be safe! Is that wrong?
But I have to say with out my friends help I'm not sure I would have found the cause so quickly.
She is fantastic and fully understands our daily battle.
she's one in a million! I can't thank her enough x

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Shar67

Ok over 2000 views and no response
Maybe and I don't want to sound rude, but as an adult it is up to you to make sure what you eat and drink are suitable.

mark51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Negative people, Rain
So in your own home you check everything before you eat or drink!
Really! The one place it should be safe because you only bring safe stuff in.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

So in your own home you check everything before you eat or drink!
Really! The one place it should be safe because you only bring safe stuff in.
I am confused. If you bring safe stuff in, why are you tackling your wife?

S

Sharon Anne

Wow what a helpful supportive responce to this thread that is .
" over 2000 views and no responce" really ?

Don't want to sound rude ?

I may be slaughtered for my comments but hey it's an opinion and anyone who knows me on here knows I am not a small minded person .

I read this thread and saw the struggle clearly to get this frightening condtion under control that stood out to me .
Seems he achieved that so we should applaud that should we not .

To achieve that and the loss of weight he CLEARLY is an adult who makes sure what he eats and puts in his mouth is suitable .

When I was daignised I didn't think it was too much to ask my husband and son to consider my health when shopping for food and drink so no I disagree I think the support of our family when buying the basics is not unreasonable but clearly I am deluded .

What ever happened to supporting each other .

mark51 well done on your weight loss and taking control of your life no expecting support from you family is not wrong .

Reactions: 3 people

mark51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Negative people, Rain
Because she didn't, she didn't bother to look at what she bought. If I had a nut allergy would she bring nuts into the house.
The point is the one place it should be safe, and we can relax a bit, I was caught out. So obviously it is not possible to relax anywhere or have support anywhere.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I live with 7 other people and I do not expect them to eat and drink as I do. I actually get a lot of support from my family and if I am not the one cooking the cook always makes sure there is suitable food for me. It really is up to me to make sure the food I eat is on plan.

mark51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Negative people, Rain
Thank you Sharon Anne, you are obviously someone who understands that you need your friends and family to help not hinder you in this daily battle.

S

Sharon Anne

Okay wellwe all have an opinion very disappointed that the point I think as been missed .

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have read, but still confused.
It seems to me that the OP is telling us his attempts to keep control of his BG are being sabotaged? Doesn't get support from his wife, but has a supportive friend who has had problems of her own?

S

Sharon Anne

What's confusing ?
Don't see the word sabotaged ?

I do see weight loss ( not easy guys )

I also see Anxiety with the weekly injection I think he says .

Seems support may be a way forward or did I come to the wrong place .

Glad I came across this thread tonight .

S

Shar67

Wow what a helpful supportive responce to this thread that is .
" over 2000 views and no responce" really ?

Don't want to sound rude ?

I may be slaughtered for my comments but hey it's an opinion and anyone who knows me on here knows I am not a small minded person .

I read this thread and saw the struggle clearly to get this frightening condtion under control that stood out to me .
Seems he achieved that so we should applaud that should we not .

To achieve that and the loss of weight he CLEARLY is an adult who makes sure what he eats and puts in his mouth is suitable .

When I was daignised I didn't think it was too much to ask my husband and son to consider my health when shopping for food and drink so no I disagree I think the support of our family when buying the basics is not unreasonable but clearly I am deluded .

What ever happened to supporting each other .

mark51 well done on your weight loss and taking control of your life no expecting support from you family is not wrong .

Yes really over 2000 views before I responded, and I didn't want to be rude, but the way I read OP post is a grown man is expecting his non diabetic wife to have all the groceries to suit him, and as he said he doesn't usually drink squash so this was out of normal for him he just happens not to want a glass of water, and I believe a grown man should be able to work out what he has consumed that might make bg high, he didn't ask his wife but go to his lady friend, maybe if OP was more supportive to his wife rather than his one in a million lady friend she would be supportive back. That is what I read into it if you read something different then that's ok. We don't all read posts in the same way but 2000 viewers didn't have a response maybe because they thought the same as me.

mark51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Negative people, Rain
I have read, but still confused.
It seems to me that the OP is telling us his attempts to keep control of his BG are being sabotaged? Doesn't get support from his wife, but has a supportive friend who has had problems of her own?
Yes you're quite right,the wife doesn't understand the implications of her actions, but my friend does and is able to give support and guidance, even when she has her own health issues to deal with. Some people just get it and others don't. Some are quite happy to go it alone. Personally I think it's better to have support from others close to you.

S

Sharon Anne

Yes really over 2000 views before I responded, and I didn't want to be rude, but the way I read OP post is a grown man is expecting his non diabetic wife to have all the groceries to suit him, and as he said he doesn't usually drink squash so this was out of normal for him he just happens not to want a glass of water, and I believe a grown man should be able to work out what he has consumed that might make bg high, he didn't ask his wife but go to his lady friend, maybe if OP was more supportive to his wife rather than his one in a million lady friend she would be supportive back. That is what I read into it if you read something different then that's ok. We don't all read posts in the same way but 2000 viewers didn't have a response maybe because they thought the same as me.

Wow well that's me tool .
First off let me be clear I came from a place saying my husband and son had been supportive in reagrds to food .you in my opinion just turned this into a very personal attack .

Where does he say he is more supportive to his friend .
I read this thread and saw someone asking for support and in the realms of freedom of speech said so .

Ypu made it a personal attack please do carry on I can stand my ground .

mark51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Negative people, Rain
The thing is we all need support sometimes whether it's male or female. Some friends are special and are one in a million. But in the same vain some people don't think you can have special friends if they are the opposite sex! Why not! Why do some small minded people think this is impossible without there being more to it!

S

Shar67

@Sharon Anne
What did I say that was a personal attack on you, I said this is the way I read post, and you read it in a different way which is ok.
He didn't tell friend as she had issues, she is one in a million, this is supportive
I tackled my wife, doesn't sound like a supportive husband.

S

Sharon Anne

@Sharon Anne
What did I say that was a personal attack on you, I said this is the way I read post, and you read it in a different way which is ok.
He didn't tell friend as she had issues, she is one in a million, this is supportive
I tackled my wife, doesn't sound like a supportive husband.

I read weight loss ( heard going )
Anxiety fear something we have all felt I am lucky my family supported that .
You know your righ your Exaclty right .
Very clever but I am not playing

S

Sharon Anne

I may not be very clever but I know and so do others on here I come from a good place so that's an end to it .