can anyone help

broxiebear1

i have just been diagnosed with diabetics had blood results.next i have to take urine test.
i am male 52 smoker and just 2 lbs overweight .the thin gis since i have been diagnosed i have checked my blood sugar levals and they have never been below 10 i have cut out sugar etc also my blood presure is usualy 140 -96 i am very active at work as i am a commercial tyre fitter and with this weather i am sweating all the time the sweat is very bad when i change a tyre

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Broxiebear and welcome to the forum.

You have made a great start by cutting out sugar, but hopefully you have also cut out everything else that contains sugar (like cakes, biscuits, sweets). If not then that is the next step. If you have already cut out these sugary things, then the next thing to look at will be your diet. Have a good read round the forum, especially about carbohydrates and in the food section and you will get a good idea of the types of things that are good for blood sugar, and the kind of things you should avoid.

Just ask if you have any questions - we're a friendly bunch and will do whatever we can to help you get your diabetes under control.

ChocFish

Hello broxiebear and welcome to the forum, Dennis has already giving you some really good advice there for starters and it is good to hear that you are testing your bg, because by testing you will find out how the different foods affect you and if they raise your bg you will know to cut down on them o cut them out altogether. There is so much info on diabetes in this forum and elsewhere you will be overwhelmed and panic with information overload, so take your time to read up on things and never hesitate to ask any questions, there is always someone here with just the right answer. The aim is that you are healthy and keeping your bg at non-diabetic levels.

At the moment your bg is higher than it should be, and you will be shocked or angry or confused or just wont believe that this has happened to you but do not worry the more you learn about diabetes the better you will feel.

You are probably sweating more because of the higher bg or do you sweat normally like this? I certainly sweat or hmmmm women are supposed to glow I think someone once said....anyway as it happens my colleague's husband is also a tyre fitter and he used to sweat loads too, but then he found something to help him, he is wearing wrist bands to prevent sweat from his arms running on to his hands, he also got hold of a few pairs of thin cotton gloves, he still can feel all he is doing, he sprays his hands with a good antiperspirant or uses a roll on, then applies talc and puts on the gloves, he says its very effective, although he does go through 2 - 3 pairs a day, they go in the washing machine, though they come out stained a lot of the time, they are free from sweat and ready to put on again, he has several pairs of them.

Maybe this could be of use to you too?

All the best

Karen

broxiebear1

hi karen and dennis thanks for the info i am glad i found this site as its very helpfull .yes i no longer take sugar cakes choc etc i eat fruit all day and have cut down on portions .karen the sweating i am talking about is my head is soaking wet and i dont know if its because of sugar levels. i see nurse on tuesday to give her urine sample so i will tell her whats happening and see what she says .
thanks again
robert

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Hi Robert,I suggest you get a Collins Gem carb counter book and look at all the things you like to eat.There is a lot of sugar in fruit for instance.Maybe you are eating too much fruit .I know that I can only eat a certain amount before it raises my sugar levels.
As for the sweating,perhaps it is a combination of high sugar levels but also the heat at the moment.You could also get your doctor to check your bloods for any other underlying conditions such as thyroid troubles.

ChocFish

Ah ooops sorry, do you think a headband would be of use to you, you know like the tennis players are wearing?

And can I just say that lots of fruit might not be a very good idea, some fruits are very high in starch (carbohydrate) and fructose and it is these nasties that give us elevated bg.
Please do get hold of Collins Gem carb counter booklet, its a small handy size and will fit into your back pocket (almost said your handbag LOL) and its ever so useful when devising your food intake.

All the best

Karen

broxiebear1

thanks again karen ,thanks sue orderd book so see how i get on , i dont need to lose much weight i am only 2 lbs over my b.m.i. just sugar level i need to get down and blood presure .i know stopping smoking would help that will be hard lol

robert

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Robert,

I wouldn't worry too much about losing weight. If you change your diet (with the help of the Collins Carb Counter book) by reducing the foods that have the biggest affect on blood sugar, then you can always compensate with more of the foods that don't affect BS. So overall there shouldn't be much impact on your weight.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya robert and welcome,
everything has already been said above, let us know how u get on :D

rich w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
none
Hi all I am new to testing my blood I do it 2 hours after dinner at night and it is 7.0 to 7.6 is this good or bad and over 28 days it is 7.2 :rolleyes:

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Hi all I am new to testing my blood I do it 2 hours after dinner at night and it is 7.0 to 7.6 is this good or bad and over 28 days it is 7.2 :rolleyes:
Hi Rich, welcome to the forum. You might like to repost as this message thread is over 7 years old and some may not look at it. If you google BG levels there's there's ;lots of info or http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html. Also I've just pasted a picture into one of the other threads, the one where somebody is disappointed with there BG. The numbers that you report look quite good, I advise double checking to confirm.

You've obviously looked at a number of message threads to find one seven years old. You will have noticed the number of members who prefer low carbs to help control their BG.

All the best.

Viv0147

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
there isn't much I dislike maybe rude and aggressive people
I suggest regarding fruit stick to any type of berry

Reactions: 2 people