Rising Bg 4 Hours After Eating

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
At lunch I ate two chicken legs (am addicted to roast chicken), a handful of lettuce, a small piece of mozzarella, three cherry tomatoes, about five olives. Two hours after, my blood was 8.3. High for some, sort of alright for me, given that I have recently ditched gliclazide as it made me gain weight and I'm waiting for appointment with DSN next week to discuss replacing it.
Haven't eaten since lunch, have drank about 500mls water.
Blood sugar is now 9.4, 4 hours after lunch. I'm not ill, not stressed, nothing remarkable has happened today. Just been working away at my desk.

I know that there's no real answer to this other than its a random occurrence of this silly disease. I just need to rant because it seems that once things are moving in the right direction then something random sends in the wrong way!!
Been having lovely low carb days lately and still in the 8's. Even with the gliclazide, I was still around 7.5 2 hours post prandial... With my ever utterly stupid first morning reading of 11+ .

This really is a stuuuuuuupid disease!!

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Keep an eye on the protein, especially in the chicken. The excess protein gets turned into glucose a lot slower.

Reactions: 2 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Did you eat the skin? Saturated fat seems to never stop rising and doesn't come back down for ME.
I do much better with plant fats loke avocado, Evoo nuts and seeds and mayo. However if I over eat nuts I get the same thing. Higher later and don't come back down.
I adore dark chicken!!! I usually buy skinless boneless thighs. Easier to eat haha.

I also need to moderate protein

Reactions: 6 people

Quirkybee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Don't be disheartened, (I know it's not easy, I truly do), but I had similar high readings today. Admittedly, I've only just started this LCHF way of eating yesterday, but my bg before breakfast was:-

11.2, then 2 hrs later 13.3. Breakfast was full fat Greek yog with 5 small strawberries and small handful blueberries

Before lunch: 8.4 @ 13:16,
2 hrs later following a king prawn linguine, (yes pasta strips, had to be eaten up by date, small portion and low fat, bought before LCHF change) it was 12.5

BG now before tea, chicken breastfeeding, courgettes, mushrooms and spinach in a coronation sauce as suggested by another member (thank you), is 9.3

Mine are high, well it seems like it to me, so I understand how you feel.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't be disheartened, (I know it's not easy, I truly do), but I had similar high readings today. Admittedly, I've only just started this LCHF way of eating yesterday, but my bg before breakfast was:-

11.2, then 2 hrs later 13.3. Breakfast was full fat Greek yog with 5 small strawberries and small handful blueberries

2 hrs later following a king prawn linguine, (yes pasta strips, had to be eaten up by date, small portion and low fat, bought before LCHF change) it was 12.5

BG now before tea, chicken breastfeeding, courgettes, mushrooms and spinach in a coronation sauce as suggested by another member (thank you), is 9.3

Fat slows the spike and lowers it. If it were me I would toss the pasta without hesitation.
It's amazing how fast fruit carbs can add up and also how much more any carbs effect some of us in the morning. The berries might be better after lunch or dinner Different foods can effect us at different times of day. I can't eat any carbs at BF. Just avocado.

Good you're testing to see how foods effect you. Some need to go in the garbage but some can be portion reduced. Depends on your goal level

Quirkybee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks Kristin.
I only like cereal for breakfast and have yet to continue further reading the many cereal type breakfasts allowed, but what would you suggest to have other than fruit with the yogurt please?

(Just thinking how much fruit I've eaten in the last 3 years, yes I've lost 3.5 stone, but not realising the negative effect it had on my bg),

I must say how much nicer the full fat Greek yog is compared to all those fat free/low fat yogs I used to eat. Just so concerned of the weight gain though by rating higher fat products, still can't get it right in my mind, but I'm waiting the arrival of a few LCHF books, so will soon understand it.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Kristin.
I only like cereal for breakfast and have yet to continue further reading the many cereal type breakfasts allowed, but what would you suggest to have other than fruit with the yogurt please?

(Just thinking how much fruit I've eaten in the last 3 years, yes I've lost 3.5 stone, but not realising the negative effect it had on my bg),

I must say how much nicer the full fat Greek yog is compared to all those fat free/low fat yogs I used to eat. Just so concerned of the weight gain though by rating higher fat products, still can't get it right in my mind, but I'm waiting the arrival of a few LCHF books, so will soon understand it.
How about eggs anyway you like them? Or a small handful of nuts or seeds mixed in?
It is hard to wrap your head around higher fat. You don't need yo gob it, just replace carb calories with fat and fat has twice as many calories. I simply eat a Mediterranean type diet. Avocado, nuts seeds EVOO and mayo as primary fat. Then there's the fat in my protein but I like leaner protein and lots of fish. I'm not eating chicken skin and pouring bacon grease on everything. I prefer mono fats over saturated fats but to each his/ her own. I think mono fats are easier to digest too, at least for me.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Quirkybee - To be honest, there isn't an off the shelf breakfast cereal I would eat these days. I'm OK (and always have been with jumbo oats, with a little milk, but haven't had that for ages.

I know a few people who have this and find it lovely: http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2015/03/06/grain-free-cinnamon-crunch/

Or as alternatives, you could try: http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2016/02/17/fennel-ginger-grain-free-granola/ or http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2013/10/26/coconut-seed-and-nut-muesli/

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At lunch I ate two chicken legs (am addicted to roast chicken), a handful of lettuce, a small piece of mozzarella, three cherry tomatoes, about five olives. Two hours after, my blood was 8.3. High for some, sort of alright for me, given that I have recently ditched gliclazide as it made me gain weight and I'm waiting for appointment with DSN next week to discuss replacing it.
Haven't eaten since lunch, have drank about 500mls water.
Blood sugar is now 9.4, 4 hours after lunch. I'm not ill, not stressed, nothing remarkable has happened today. Just been working away at my desk.

I know that there's no real answer to this other than its a random occurrence of this silly disease. I just need to rant because it seems that once things are moving in the right direction then something random sends in the wrong way!!
Been having lovely low carb days lately and still in the 8's. Even with the gliclazide, I was still around 7.5 2 hours post prandial... With my ever utterly stupid first morning reading of 11+ .

This really is a stuuuuuuupid disease!!

I have no idea how much fluid you had taken in the earier part of the day, but 500ml on a day like today (warm and sunny here), that would not be enough for me. Hydrating well enough is critical to the success of a reduced carb way of eating, never mind it being a bit warmer..

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to add IN THE ABCENSE OF CARBS fat does not make you fat. Fat and carbs together is the ticket to weight gain.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
** eating, not rating higher fat products, lol. Sorry
Indy has a thread on here with a series of videos by professor tim noakes. I highly recommend you watch them @Quirkybee . They are in plain english and very easy to understand. They are not selling anything. They are also in small segments, each is between 5 minutes and a half hour. Most in the 10 minute or so range. It explains why LCHF works, it explains about the fat and why it wont cause weight gain if you are low carb. He explains cholesterol. These videos are extremely helpful to anyone who has questions. They should be pinned on the site.

Reactions: 3 people

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all for your input yesterday. I'm over the "grumps" now, and have chalked it up to circumstance.
I'm quite good with hydration, as I only drink one or two coffees in a morning and lots of water. So normally I get probably closer to 3 litres than 2 (I'm a big girl, I can take the extra litre).

@Quirkybee Low Carb messes with your head at first. You have to unlearn everything that you thought you knew about nutrition. Cereal is just sugar wearing a wholegrain disguise! Some people can get away with oats, but not a lot of us can.
There are low carb versions out there that you can pay a fortune for, but the quicker that you get yourself out of the habit of eating breakfast foods at breakfast time, the better.
I watched a film once about Dr Kellogg. He owned a health sanitarium and believed that the consumption of meat led to carnal sin, so he created breakfast cereal - a bland food that he thought would diminish people's sexual desires. His brothers then took his recipes and marketed them to the masses without his blessing. In reality, grains were much cheaper than the eggs/meat/fish breakfasts that people were used to having and people fell for it. So, there was never a true health aspect to eating cereal - it was just all about keeping the mind pure, and making money. I think it still pretty much is about making money, because none of it is cheap - yet my husband works in agriculture and right now they are harvesting the grains, and I can tell you, the farmers get very little money for a whole load of grain.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Indy has a thread on here with a series of videos by professor tim noakes. I highly recommend you watch them @Quirkybee . They are in plain english and very easy to understand. They are not selling anything. They are also in small segments, each is between 5 minutes and a half hour. Most in the 10 minute or so range. It explains why LCHF works, it explains about the fat and why it wont cause weight gain if you are low carb. He explains cholesterol. These videos are extremely helpful to anyone who has questions. They should be pinned on the site.
Thanks @chalup.

@Quirkybee - the thread containing the Prof Tim Noakes videos is here:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/prof-tim-noakes.102885/

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Today has been a similar experience... Except 3 hours post breakfast I am 11.1. So I'm making a food diary, getting all the carb counts for everything to see where it's going wrong and where I can put it right. I see the first glaring error. I thought blueberries were fairly low... They are not low enough! I have only had a handful, but that's nearly 10g. Onwards!!!

Quirkybee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi luceeloo,
I thought the same ref blueberries, I've eaten truckloads of them, so much fruit in the last year. A Sistema split container of mixed strawberries, blueberries, half in morning in work and other half in afternoon, plus melon, satsumas. I thought it was the right way to go.

Until I receive my books on LCHF I guess I'll be more informed. I have no idea of the total grams per meal, per day, a type 2 needs to adhere too.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You may like to try lidl high protein roll with lots of cheese toasted for breakfast The rolls are quite low carb and very filling but as always test and see .If you don't like cheese you can try butter and Marmite or peanut butter
CAROL

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My food scale was my best educator. I was astonished with how many carbs are in foods. Broccoli is hardly worth making compared to the serving size of asparagus I can have. Even broccoli sends me high. Asparagus nothing. Mushrooms. Nothing. I would highly recommend a food scale as well as a food diary.