Target Glucose Levels At Bed Time And During The Night.... If Possible :)

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nothing springs to mind :)
Hey everyone. I hope y'all doing grand today! :)

So..... A quick update first.

Tomorrow it will be 3 weeks since I was diagnosed 3c. A lot has happened in that time. Lots of research, doctor and DSN appointments. I have an eye screening test and an appointment with the consultant surgeon, AKA 'the professor' (Pancreas & Benign HPB unit) at my local hospital next month. (If you have read my first post you will be aware of the problems I have had). So hopefully all will go well. (Please no more gall stones!!)

My glucose levels are still high compared to a person who has good control of their diabetes. My last 7 day average has been 12.0. Considering my levels at various points recently after diagnosis were in excess of 40 I dont think I'm doing too bad. I have had one hypo so far and I counter attacked that perfectly with 6 Jelly Babies... yummy :) I then followed that with a sandwich and some NovaRapid. 2 hours later... 5.6, YES! :) My overall mood, stamina and motivation are greatly increased and I'd say pretty much back to normal. I have been learning carb counting too.

Anyway.... I have another question for you all.

I know that I should maybe know this already but I really haven't thought about it too much. Is there a general rule for glucose levels at bed time? For example... If your level is 5.3 when you go to bed, should you have a light snack/supper and match those carbs with novarapid or not eat anything? I dont think I'm getting my thoughts on to paper properly here. I'm not quite sure how to explain. Say if my level is 5.3 and I go to sleep, will my level continue to fall to the extent that I have a hypo during the night and therefore should set my alarm for a level check. Or will it not really fluctuate that much? If it will drop too low, then will eating a small snack without novarapid raise it enough to prevent it going too low before the morning, therefore taking away the need for a check during the night? . Basically, slightly putting your level up on purpose, taking into consideration/predicting the amount it will drop. I suppose its all going to depend on when you last had something to eat.... doesn't it? or does it? ARRRGHH!

The reason I am asking this is not because I cant be bothered waking from my nice lovely sleep it's because one of my anti-depressant medications causes me to sleep extremely deeply for the majority of the night and I am concerned that my alarm will not wake me up.

I'm sorry. I've probably confused you all as much as I have myself. Maybe you can understand. Depending on what sort of response I get I may have to delete this post :)

Thanks for reading my random garble. Any input would be very welcome. :)

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning :)

Have a look here for some BG target range advice:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

Ideally, your BG upon waking should be the same as before bed. You can allow yourself some flexibility though as no-one's BG profile is linear. I think the book "Think Like A Pancreas" suggests that BG differential between going to bed and waking should be within 1.7mmol/L.

Providing your basal insulin is set correctly then there should be no need for light snacks with or without bolus insulin before bed. This will help you fine tune your basal insulin:

https://mysugr.com/basal-rate-testing/

It's worth remembering that bolus insulin is working up until around 5hrs after injecting. So if you have a late dinner or supper, your BG could still be falling long after you go to sleep. This may cause a delayed nocturnal hypo.

I hope I've answered something here, it's tricky reading posts on my phone with the current site issues.

Cheers:)
Grant

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nothing springs to mind :)
Hi GrantGam1337. Thank you very much for your excellent reply and links. I will take a look at those links. I know Basel is background insulin (24h) and Bolus must be fast acting insulin. Am I right to assume that Basel is Base Level? I have not got a clue what Bolus stands for though. Thanks. :)

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi GrantGam1337. Thank you very much for your excellent reply and links. I will take a look at those links. I know Basel is background insulin (24h) and Bolus must be fast acting insulin. Am I right to assume that Basel is Base Level? I have not got a clue what Bolus stands for though. Thanks. :)
Hello!

That's no problem at all. In a nutshell:

-Basal insulin (Lantus, Levemir, etc) are background insulins administered once or twice daily at 24 hour and 12 hour intervals respectively.
-Bolus insulin (Novorapid, etc) are quick acting insulins administered to cover carbs in meals or correct high BG levels.

This will explain better than me though:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/insulin/basal-bolus.html

Grant:)