Fathead Pizza Base

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Been reading a lot about this on the Keto diet Facebook pages so thought I would try it.
Made a small base with no toppings just to see what it was like then sprinkled on some parmesan to make pseudo breadsticks..
Considering it didn't have any nice fatty pizza toppings it was surprisingly nice and even hubby (who doesn't like almonds ) said it was ok.
Now need to get more mozzarella to try it for real.
Gave a convincingly crispy pizza base and was even slightly doughy.. woo hoo.
This was the recipe I used
Melted the cheeses in a pan as no microwave

http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2015/04/23/fat-head-pizza/

Just took bloods one hour after eating... 5.1 after an FBG of 5 this morning!
6 after 2 and 3 hours so still not too bad..

Last edited by a moderator:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Looks delish. I can't do dairy :(. However the cracker recipe I use would work.
2 c almond flour/ meal
1 T olive oil
2 T water
Wisk oil and water add to almond flour, roll between parchment until thin and bake

For crackers I add herbs and garlic. Would make a great crust. Just shared it with a friend and apparently they don't stick around long. That's why I stopped making them. Too addicting.

I have often thought , but never have yet, is to throw all the favorite topping in a bowl or pan and heat and eat it with a spoon. Drooling....

Reactions: charliebarker

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The does sound good.. is it very almondy though? I think the cheese and egg in the fathead take away the almond flavour.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Nope, it to me anyway. I have never used it as a crust and always put herbs and garlic oil in it so that probably takes away some almond flavor. It is a tad crumbly but I would just make it thicker. You bake 350 for about 10 min just until starting to brown. I have also made it in a bread shape and thick slices. Same bake time.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there any flour that could be used other than almond or coconut flour which I do not like the taste of .Wondered about buckwheat or gram flour

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there any flour that could be used other than almond or coconut flour which I do not like the taste of .Wondered about buckwheat or gram flour
to be honest it didn't really taste almondy and I had to use ground almonds rather than flour.. all I had.. might be worth a try..

MaxineKL

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Allergic to almonds. Does anybody know if ground walnuts work in this kind of recipe?

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I use ground pecans sometimes in recipes instead of almond. They are different in taste and texture, coarser, but good.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh yum I havnt made a fathead pizza for ages. I will have to try the cracker recipe as well.

lbd

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
My Wife prepares it much better than i... She wets her hands lightly with water when handling the dough,,, she reckons thats part of the trick... And we use SIlicon Mats to bake on... :)

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Quite easily especially if you are eating something like this.

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The fat head dough can be used for other stuff too, I've made cinnamon rolls with it before now!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I cook it on a hot pizza stone - works very nicely, and dries it out a little as well...

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been reading a lot about this on the Keto diet Facebook pages so thought I would try it.
Made a small base with no toppings just to see what it was like then sprinkled on some parmesan to make pseudo breadsticks..
Considering it didn't have any nice fatty pizza toppings it was surprisingly nice and even hubby (who doesn't like almonds ) said it was ok.
Now need to get more mozzarella to try it for real.
Gave a convincingly crispy pizza base and was even slightly doughy.. woo hoo.
This was the recipe I used
Melted the cheeses in a pan as no microwave

http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2015/04/23/fat-head-pizza/

Just took bloods one hour after eating... 5.1 after an FBG of 5 this morning!
6 after 2 and 3 hours so still not too bad..
Our family uses this very recipe, and it has turned out to be a firm favourite So it appeals to carbophiles as well/

rag01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Allergic to almonds. Does anybody know if ground walnuts work in this kind of recipe?
Try a Cauliflower pizza base: Been using this for years and it works: More effort is required to make it but it's a much lower cost route to a pizza base than Almond flour.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try a Cauliflower pizza base: Been using this for years and it works: More effort is required to make it but it's a much lower cost route to a pizza base than Almond flour.
I had some ground almonds in the cupboard anyway so used those.. seemed to work fine..

MaxineKL

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thanks! That makes good sense.