Reflux & taste of blood

Bobbin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was diagnosed with reflux over the summer. I had/have concerns about gastroparesis, but the GP think it's hiatus hernia causing my issues. They have referred me for testing (camera down the throat).

Since yesterday evening I've been getting the taste of blood when I burp. I burp constantly, so not at all pleasant, as you can imagine. Should I be concerned and rushing back to GP, or is this just part and parcel of this issue? The taste has me worried.

I'm on omeprazole and a gaviscon type medicine well.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I would call your non emergency number 111? (I am not from UK) and ask what to do. If it was me I would be very concerned.

Reactions: Bobbin

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@Bobbin - yes please get immediate medical attention. Burping up blood possibly could be a burst ulcer or anything like that. I also have GORD, sliding hiatal hernia, and I chronically burp too so can relate to what you mentioned symptom wise... but I don't burp up blood. I hope you're ok. Keep us posted. I wish you the best. :)

Reactions: Bobbin and himtoo

Bobbin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks. Got an appointment for the Dr, but it's not till the 4th October. I might ring back for emergency appointment tomorrow if things don't improve.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks. Got an appointment for the Dr, but it's not till the 4th October. I might ring back for emergency appointment tomorrow if things don't improve.

That appointment is a long way off if your bringing up blood, I'd ring them back and say you want seen asap, alternatively go straight to A & E if the symptoms get worse.

Reactions: Mep and Bobbin

Bobbin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That appointment is a long way off if your bringing up blood, I'd ring them back and say you want seen asap, alternatively go straight to A & E if the symptoms get worse.

Ok, just rang there and explained what the problem was; they said they had no other appointments available but that I could try again tomorrow morning when some appointments for this Friday would be released. It's so difficult to get seen at the GP here.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok, just rang there and explained what the problem was; they said they had no other appointments available but that I could try again tomorrow morning when some appointments for this Friday would be released. It's so difficult to get seen at the GP here.

It sounds to me you should be going to your emergency department or an urgent care facility to get seen. Coughing up blood could be quite serious and life threatening.... could be nothing serious too, but you don't know either way. I don't want to scare you about it... but waiting until 4 October is too far away and if you have a serious health issue you just can't wait until then. It's best to get checked quickly.

I'm also surprised your doc surgery just told you to try again another day. They should've put you through to speak to their nurse at the very least for advice. They do that at my doc surgery... they do not make assumptions about your health, but put you through to their nurse for her to advise what to do... eg. get to hospital quick, etc. They've done that to me several times. There was one time when the nurse offered to call an ambulance for me. So always better to speak to a medical professional rather than a clerk.

Bobbin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It sounds to me you should be going to your emergency department or an urgent care facility to get seen. Coughing up blood could be quite serious and life threatening.... could be nothing serious too, but you don't know either way. I don't want to scare you about it... but waiting until 4 October is too far away and if you have a serious health issue you just can't wait until then. It's best to get checked quickly.

I'm also surprised your doc surgery just told you to try again another day. They should've put you through to speak to their nurse at the very least for advice. They do that at my doc surgery... they do not make assumptions about your health, but put you through to their nurse for her to advise what to do... eg. get to hospital quick, etc. They've done that to me several times. There was one time when the nurse offered to call an ambulance for me. So always better to speak to a medical professional rather than a clerk.
Hi, I think you may have misread. I haven't been coughing up blood, just tasting it when I burp. Thankfully the taste wasn't there from evening onwards yesterday, though it's back this .morning. Trying to get through to Dr on phone this morning, not an easy task. Will as receptionist if they can check with Dr if I need to be seen sooner.

Reactions: Mep

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I think you may have misread. I haven't been coughing up blood, just tasting it when I burp. Thankfully the taste wasn't there from evening onwards yesterday, though it's back this .morning. Trying to get through to Dr on phone this morning, not an easy task. Will as receptionist if they can check with Dr if I need to be seen sooner.

ah ok... hopefully you get seen to soon.

I just got back from seeing my gastroenterologist who let me know during the consult that because I chronically burp I'm at high risk of oesophageal bleeding. I didn't know that. So he said he has to keep checking me with the scopes. I have to book one for January. I've been chronically burping since end of 2009 though so I guess it could cause me damage. It has definitely damaged my throat good and proper. My throat muscles no longer move too well and I can't talk properly, plus easily choke. Oh I also got told today I have an autonomic nervous system fault so it's highly likely I have fibromyalgia. Great.

Bobbin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
ah ok... hopefully you get seen to soon.

I just got back from seeing my gastroenterologist who let me know during the consult that because I chronically burp I'm at high risk of oesophageal bleeding. I didn't know that. So he said he has to keep checking me with the scopes. I have to book one for January. I've been chronically burping since end of 2009 though so I guess it could cause me damage. It has definitely damaged my throat good and proper. My throat muscles no longer move too well and I can't talk properly, plus easily choke. Oh I also got told today I have an autonomic nervous system fault so it's highly likely I have fibromyalgia. Great.

Interesting; I've been burping lots for a couple of years now and it's only lately I've had a Doctor take my issues seriously. Mainly because I've a bubbling sound in my throat at night now and stomach issues to boot, choking at night is also an issue. The tablets I'm on do nothing to improve things. Blood taste has gone again.... Hope it stays away this time!

Bobbin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Update:
GP said that taste alone is nothing worry about, but I see blood to make another appointment.
Been put on another tablet (along with what I'm already on) to reduce stomach acid and another to assist food transit through gut.