Ideas anyone?

LincolnLizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm on 18 units Lantus and 1 X Forxiga daily and have been happily in the range 5-6.5 for a few months with my 14 day average at 5.8. The past few days, I haven't been below 6.2 and I thought I would see what happens one hour after breakfast. I had my normal natural full fat Greek yoghurt with a tablespoon ground flac and 5 rasps, but additionally had 1/2 small avocado this morning. One hour later was 8.7. Horrified.

I looked at yesterday's food and I had no more than 15 carbs and perhaps 80g protein.

What is happening and how can I overcome it - any ideas anyone please

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on 18 units Lantus and 1 X Forxiga daily and have been happily in the range 5-6.5 for a few months with my 14 day average at 5.8. The past few days, I haven't been below 6.2 and I thought I would see what happens one hour after breakfast. I had my normal natural full fat Greek yoghurt with a tablespoon ground flac and 5 rasps, but additionally had 1/2 small avocado this morning. One hour later was 8.7. Horrified.

I looked at yesterday's food and I had no more than 15 carbs and perhaps 80g protein.

Did you test your BG before your breakfast? You may have been slightly high before eating?

Grant

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

I'm going through this right now too. Same foods as always but running higher. No idea why. It happened 2 weeks ago then came back to normal and now changing again. The weather is getting cooler and rainy instead of warm and sunny but I find it hard to believe it's weather. Most annoying.

Have you changed your activity? You don't normally check at one hour? Try checking when you normally do and see it it's the same. Maybe you're always spiking that high and didn't know it?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Lizzie - When did you start a new batch of test strips? Sometimes a tub or batch can read a little differently. Alternatively, are you otherwise well? Infections or a virus can lead to increased numbers, as well as poor sleep and so on.

LincolnLizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you folks. My BG before breakfast was 6.3 and you are right I don't normally test after one hour but I know that historically I only come down by a maximum of .3 in an hour.

Halfway through this tub of strips so thst ships to be an issue. Nothing else has changed, no infections, no stress etc. That's why I'm confused. Can't think what has caused this.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you folks. My BG before breakfast was 6.3 and you are right I don't normally test after one hour but I know that historically I only come down by a maximum of .3 in an hour.

Halfway through this tub of strips so thst ships to be an issue. Nothing else has changed, no infections, no stress etc. That's why I'm confused. Can't think what has caused this.

Maybe just one of those annoying, wonky, incomprehensible days of joy? See what tomorrow brings. :)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If you don't normally test then it might not be an anomaly. Could be what it does everyday. The only way to find out is to eat it again tomorrow and test same as today. I always go up at BF no matter what I eat. I don't start coming down until after 3 hours.

80 g of protein is about twice what I eat. I need to take insulin for protein as much as for carbs but this CAN be more of an issue for both T1 and VLCers. In the absense of carbs gluconeogenisis can proceed rapidly. ( turning protein into bs). Of course it doesn't happen to everyone but might be something to think about

Did you come back down today?

Last edited:

LincolnLizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm a type 2 and test every day. Even though I'm eating the same, exercising the same, everything's the same, my BG has been up by a point generally and I went way over after a normal breakfast. Normally would only put me to about 6.8 and I went to 8.7!

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a type 2 and test every day. Even though I'm eating the same, exercising the same, everything's the same, my BG has been up by a point generally and I went way over after a normal breakfast. Normally would only put me to about 6.8 and I went to 8.7!

If you're sure that there are no external influences that can explain your consistently raised BG (albeit by a small amount), and that it is definitely an anomaly (not just a post meal spike that you've never picked up on) then you'd probably want to look at increasing your basal insulin.

Although basal insulin is designed to cover the periods of time when we are not eating. Considering that it's your only insulin then it is possible that having this dose increased may help. That is, if you're running CONSISTENTLY higher, at all times during the day - and not just an hour after your breakfast.

You may be becoming slightly more insulin resistant, your pancreas has lost a bit more functionality, or both. It could also be a whole range of other factors previously covered by the other forum members.

Seeing as an increase of background insulin has not been mentioned, I thought I'd suggest it.

Good luck:)

Grant

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Did you retest with a diff strip? I tested yesterday morning after 36 hours of fasting and got 10.2 ! retested and got 4.3. I must have had something on my finger that messed up the test.

davecatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Flax seeds do it for me I can't go near them, Have you changed brand?