Substitute for bread

lynbrown

I love toast and marmalade for breakfast. If I give upbread, would Ryvita with marmalade be a reasonable substitute? I would find life very hard without marmalade.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have no idea whether you are T1 or T2, whether you are on insulin or other drugs. However, for most of us T2s it is both toast and marmalade that we give up. Far too much sugar in marmalade and ordinary bread just turns to glucose once inside the system. Many of us buy Lidl High Protein rolls as they are very low in carbohydrate and delicious sliced in half and toasted. From memory they are about 10% carb. The rest is protein and fat. There are other low carb breads such as Bergen and Lovelife, but not as low carb as the Lidl rolls.

Reactions: Brunneria
A

asparagusp

No no. I admit I haven't seen these LIDL rolls but I suspect they have additives and preservatives. Better to eat Nairns organic seeded oatcakes or just their plain ones. They are really lovely! 6 gms carbohydrates per oatcake.

Reactions: Sauron

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
That would mean you would have half a Lidl to one oatcake. No contest! :)

Reactions: Brunneria
A

asparagusp

No additives in the Nairns and although twice the carbohydrates they are still not high and they are very nutritious.

Edited by a Mod to remove rudeness towards another poster.

Last edited by a moderator:

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
Had my first Lidl high protein roll today and thought it was really tasty and I believe less than 10g carbs.

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
@4ratbags can I ask you to PM me. I still haven't the facility to do it myself but I can reply :)

Last edited by a moderator:

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@lynbrown first of all have you tested your BS after eating your toast and marmalade, some people can tolerate bread better than others. You could make your own LC bread and sugar free marmalade, there are lots of low carb, sugar free recipes to be found if you search and Pinterest is also a great resource.

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Had my first Lidl high protein roll today and thought it was really tasty and I believe less than 10g carbs.
According to a Lidl list which was posted on here they are actually only 9carbs. They are gorgeous aren't they. I am afraid to eat too many! :)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ingredients for both as a comparison - seems both have merits - interestingly the Lidl roll has turmeric (curcuma) which is often lauded to help with lowering blood sugar

Nairn organic oat cakes
Ingredients
Organic wholegrain oats (83%), organic oatbran, organic sunflower oil, organic sustainable palm fruit oil, sea salt, raising agent: sodium bicarbonat

Lidl High Protein Rolls
Ingredients:
Water, Linseeds, Wheat Protein, Soya Flour, Whole Wheat Flour, Sesame, Soybean Meal, Sunflower Seeds, Wheat Bran, Oat Fiber, Yeast, Salt, Colouring Spice Extracts (Curcuma).

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
ingredients for both as a comparison - seems both have merits - interestingly the Lidl roll has turmeric (curcuma) which is often lauded to help with lowering blood sugar

Nairn organic oat cakes
Ingredients
Organic wholegrain oats (83%), organic oatbran, organic sunflower oil, organic sustainable palm fruit oil, sea salt, raising agent: sodium bicarbonat

Lidl High Protein Rolls
Ingredients:
Water, Linseeds, Wheat Protein, Soya Flour, Whole Wheat Flour, Sesame, Soybean Meal, Sunflower Seeds, Wheat Bran, Oat Fiber, Yeast, Salt, Colouring Spice Extracts (Curcuma).
Thanks for that @lovinglife very interesting!

Reactions: lovinglife

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Here are the nutrient details for the Lidl rolls

Typical Values per 100g:
Energy 1194kJ/268kcal
Fat 13.4g
Of which saturates 0.4g
Carbohydrate 8.5g
Of which sugars 0.5g
Fibre 12.4g
Protein 26.7g
Salt 0.99g

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
too many useless carbs for me.. anyway haven't eaten them for a year at least..have had one Lidl roll as an experiement which was ok.

Now I think those Lidl rolls taste like cardboard, tried one and didn't enjoy at all.

Needless to say we all have our likes & dislikes when it comes to food :)

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For completion & comparison, Hi Lo bread is:

Water, Wholemeal Wheat Flour, Seed Mix (16%) (Sunflower Seeds, Linseed, Poppy Seed), Wheat Protein, Soya Flour, SoyaProtein, Yeast, Wheat Bran, Apple Fibre, Fermented Wheat Flour, Spirit Vinegar, Malted Barley Flour, Malted Barley Extract, Salt

Typical Values per 100g
Energy kJ 1089
Energy kcal 260
Fat 8.7g
of which
saturated 1.3g
mono-saturated 1.6g
polyunsaturated 5.3g
Carbohydrates 15.6g
of which sugars 3.4g
Fibre 10.2g
Protein 24.7g
Salt 0.93g

One slice is just under one third of these figures in particular 5g of carbs.

Snootybutnice

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone - I contacted Lidl last week to ask what was in their Protein Rolls and they sent me a full list of all breads and ingredients. They have 2 recipes for Protein Rolls for some reason and here's the full breakdown of both:

124342 - High Protein Roll

Ingredients Water, 17 % Linseed, Wheat Protein, Soy Flour, Whole Wheat Flour , 4 % Sesame, Soybean Meal, 3 % Sunflower seeds, Wheat Bran, Yeast , Oat Fiber, Salt, Coloring Spice Extracts (Curcuma), Thickener: Guar Gum.

Nutritional Information
Typical Values per 100g

Energy 289kcal/1203kJ
Fat 13.8g
Of which saturates 1.8g
Carbohydrate 9.8g
Of which sugars 1.2g
Fibre 12.3g
Protein 25.0g
Salt 1.03g

Allergens
For allergens, including cereals containing gluten, see highlighted ingredients. May contain traces of Milk, Egg, Shell Fruits and Celery. Useful Information Suitable for vegetarians. No alcohol derivatives.

79358 - High Protein Roll

Ingredients Water, 17 % Linseed, Wheat Protein , Soy Flour, Whole Wheat Flour, 4 % Sesame, Soybean Meal, 3 % Sunflower Seeds, Wheat Bran, Yeast, Oat Fiber, Salt, Coloring Spice Extracts (Curcuma), Thickener: Guar Gum.

Nutritional Information
Typical Values per 100g

Energy 292kcal/1216kJ
Fat 14.1g
Of which saturates 1.8g
Carbohydrate 9.8g
Of which sugars 1.2g
Fibre 12.4g
Protein 25.2g
Salt 1.03g

Allergens
For allergens, including cereals containing gluten, see highlighted ingredients. May contain traces of Milk, Egg, Shell Fruits, Celery Useful Information Suitable for vegetarians.