New to type 1

Char1994

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hello, I have type 1. I was wondering if anyone can suggest the best food to snack on. For example when I'm at work I use to snack on chocolate and biscuits but now being type 1 I can't snack on that what does every suggest is the best food to snack on?
Thank you

Paulgrayston

good morning miss or Mr.
what I do is have some carbs for breakfast such as toast or weetaBix. then no carbs. which my sugar is controlled. but if your job is active then maybe bit more carb to burn it off. there is an app on play store called carbs and cals which helps you work out how may carbs in food. 10g =2 units. hope this is help

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
good morning miss or Mr.
what I do is have some carbs for breakfast such as toast or weetaBix. then no carbs. which my sugar is controlled. but if your job is active then maybe bit more carb to burn it off. there is an app on play store called carbs and cals which helps you work out how may carbs in food. 10g =2 units. hope this is help

Hi @Paulgrayston 10g of carbs might equal 2units for you, but be aware that everyone's insulin to carb ratio is individual and so this will not be the same for everyone. It varies from person to person and it some people depending on the time of day, level of activity and type of carbs.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hello, I have type 1. I was wondering if anyone can suggest the best food to snack on. For example when I'm at work I use to snack on chocolate and biscuits but now being type 1 I can't snack on that what does every suggest is the best food to snack on?
Thank you

What sort of insulin regime are you on @Char1994 ? Do you carb count?

I'm not sure that being type 1 means you can't snack on chocolate and biscuits, you just have to be a bit more careful about how you do it (and it might end up being not a very convenient snack choice on the regular if it causes blood sugar rises, or alternatively, it might be the perfect snack choice to top your blood sugar up).

HoneyBea

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Char1994, I was the same and always snacked in chocolate, biscuits and crisps but since my type 1 diagnosis two weeks ago I have started snacking on nuts (peanuts, walnuts, cashews), veg sticks, cheese and crackers instead. Don't get me wrong, I miss the chocolate and maybe one day soon when I have a better understanding of it all I'll snack on a bit of chocolate now and again x

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As @catapillar said above, you absolutely can have chocolate and biscuits if you choose to, you just need to make sure you can match that with Insulin.
If you don't want to snack on these things or find it causes issues with your blood sugar, have you tried nuts? Graze do little snack packets available in a lot of shops such as Boots. A lot of the savoury nuts ones are about 9-10g Carbs.

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I tend not to snack much, but cheese is good - the fat content makes you feel full. Chocolate isn't out of the question, but try the 85% or 90% cocoa stuff - it'll not taste the same at 'regular' chocolate, but isn't bad (although I find the 99% stuff to be foul).

Like with all foods as a type 1, if you're unsure, test, eat some, test again after 1 hour and again after 2 hours to see what it did to you.