Medical Bracelets

A

asparagusp

These bracelets don't tell the whole story! I use the health app on my iPhone that has my medical history, medication with dosages, contact details of my diabetic nurse and next of kin ..... My 'phone isn't locked but I understand that this information can be accessed even if it was.

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
I hope this is the right place to put this topic, other boards didn't seem that appropriate! Hi I have had 2 hypos that caused needing help, not overkill wear something to warn but keep it simple like type 1 diabetic on insulin , don't wear gold or silver depends who finds u may rob it if they think it's got value, I have on phone home screen, diabetic on insulin may need sugar

This week, a medical bracelet I ordered arrived in my mailbox. I don't have a car and cycle to all the places I need to be, which is great exercise. I also can't detect hypos while I exercise, which sometimes happens even with meticulous monitoring and having a carb snack before I go. Bad combo! And what if I get into an accident and am unconscious, how can I communicate that I need to have my glucose levels monitored?

Medical bracelets seem like a great way to receive adequate treatment on the scene of an accident. EMTs are trained to look for them and can determine immediately if I'm K.O. from a hypo by testing me, and that I can't have certain medication because of my insulin usage.

Although I'm a type LADA, I ordered my bracelet with the text "Type 1 Diabetes - Insulin Dependent" because that's basically what it is, and I've found that a lot of medical personnel are unaware of the term LADA or even type 1.5. I've never really heard of anyone else having this sort of bracelet, although they exist in all shapes and forms - for diabetics of all types, for allergies, epilepsy, ICE bracelets for kids etc..

GX0s8bo.jpg

I'm wondering if any members here have a bracelet (or other medical jewelry) like this, and what prompted you to get one? Has it ever been useful before? Is it unusual to have one, perhaps even overkill?
Hi
I hope this is the right place to put this topic, other boards didn't seem that appropriate!

This week, a medical bracelet I ordered arrived in my mailbox. I don't have a car and cycle to all the places I need to be, which is great exercise. I also can't detect hypos while I exercise, which sometimes happens even with meticulous monitoring and having a carb snack before I go. Bad combo! And what if I get into an accident and am unconscious, how can I communicate that I need to have my glucose levels monitored?

Medical bracelets seem like a great way to receive adequate treatment on the scene of an accident. EMTs are trained to look for them and can determine immediately if I'm K.O. from a hypo by testing me, and that I can't have certain medication because of my insulin usage.

Although I'm a type LADA, I ordered my bracelet with the text "Type 1 Diabetes - Insulin Dependent" because that's basically what it is, and I've found that a lot of medical personnel are unaware of the term LADA or even type 1.5. I've never really heard of anyone else having this sort of bracelet, although they exist in all shapes and forms - for diabetics of all types, for allergies, epilepsy, ICE bracelets for kids etc..

GX0s8bo.jpg

I'm wondering if any members here have a bracelet (or other medical jewelry) like this, and what prompted you to get one? Has it ever been useful before? Is it unusual to have one, perhaps even overkill?

macabee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
People who think Diabetes is 'nothing much to worry about'
These bracelets don't tell the whole story! I use the health app on my iPhone that has my medical history, medication with dosages, contact details of my diabetic nurse and next of kin ..... My 'phone isn't locked but I understand that this information can be accessed even if it was.
So long as you do not lose your phone!

Shiba Park

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I figured having a bracelet that states I'm type1 was of limited use - much more useful for the emergency services is to know what and how much insulin to give me!

Like others, I didn't want anything too obvious, but I did find something discrete that had enough space to list my basal/bolus insulin, ISF and ICR.

edan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
... and the phone does not have a lock screen password.

Even the FBI had problems with iPhone passwords.
You can see the emergency information even if the phone is locked without entering a passcode.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I figured having a bracelet that states I'm type1 was of limited use - much more useful for the emergency services is to know what and how much insulin to give me!

Like others, I didn't want anything too obvious, but I did find something discrete that had enough space to list my basal/bolus insulin, ISF and ICR.
Would you really want the emergency services to give you insulin if they found you hypoglycaemic?

D

Deleted member 308541

You can see the emergency information even if the phone is locked without entering a passcode.
When the lock screen is locked on my Oppo F1, you cannot see anything but a clock widget.

To see my private stuff you need a password.

edan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
When the lock screen is locked on my Oppo F1, you cannot see anything but a clock widget.

To see my private stuff you need a password.
Poster stated they were using an iphone which does give you the emergency medical info without a password.

edan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Would you really want the emergency services to give you insulin if they found you hypoglycaemic?
Thats what i thought, they wont need to know ICR or ISF - if you are hypo they wont be giving you insulin. If you are high and unable to communicate they'll just put you on a drip. Besides your ICR and ISF change all the time so what will you do with the bracelet - get a new one engraved every time it changes?

Shiba Park

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No! But I would expect the emergency services to have enough clue to know how to use the ICR/ISF - and by definition to know to check bg levels before doing anything...

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No! But I would expect the emergency services to have enough clue to know how to use the ICR/ISF - and by definition to know to check bg levels before doing anything...
I fail to understand how carb ratio and insulin sensitivity bear relevance if the emergency services are dealing with you in an hypoglycaemic state. They attend, surely you want them to know your medical condition, not how you treat it when not hypo.

D

Deleted member 308541

Poster stated they were using an iphone which does give you the emergency medical info without a password.
That does not sound a secure way of keeping ones personal medical details private.

Everybody and their dog could get their hands on that, especially employers with no better things to do with their time.

I will stick to my medical bracelet, paramedics can handle it ok.

edan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
That does not sound a secure way of keeping ones personal medical details private.

Everybody and their dog could get their hands on that, especially employers with no better things to do with their time.

I will stick to my medical bracelet, paramedics can handle it ok.

Why would everyone, your dog and your employer be using your mobile phone? Just keep it with you not lying around...

Shiba Park

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I fail to understand how carb ratio and insulin sensitivity bear relevance if the emergency services are dealing with you in an hypoglycaemic state. They attend, surely you want them to know your medical condition, not how you treat it when not hypo.
Why only consider the situation of a hypo? None of the people I know who have needed emergency admission to hospital - some unconscious - were diabetic, let alone hypo. Had they been diabetic, they were not in a condition pass on dosage information. If I were in that situation I'd like to give the care team a head start at managing my diabetes.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Shiba Park . Fully agree that information is essential. And I think we may never see eye to eye on this particular subject.
On a personal level I know that if I'm ill and confined to bed my carb/ insulin ratios change dramatically.
Hopefully we will not find ourselves in a situation where we need emergency assistance and do not have to rely on others.
Thanks for giving me something else to consider.

M

mist

I read the title too fast and thought it said "Medical Breasts" :angelic:

I like the idea of the tattoo, but what if your diabetes somehow goes away?

macabee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
People who think Diabetes is 'nothing much to worry about'
I read the title too fast and thought it said "Medical Breasts" :angelic:

I like the idea of the tattoo, but what if your diabetes somehow goes away?
Whilst Diabetes can be controlled, I doubt if it will ever go away [not yet awhile] Unless one has been mis-diagnosed in the first place!