Think I have prediabetes and neuropathy. Scared

schmee123

Hi
I have had numbness in my right foot across my toes and half of the foot for 3-4 days now, before I had a pain in the centre of my foot for a couple of weeks. I have a lot of risk factors for diabetes: overweight, smoke, alcohol... I haven't seen a doctor and don't want to because I'm scared. I don't know what my blood sugar is, haven't had it done for a few years.
I know it's not advisable to not see a doctor but how bad is this? And can I still turn it around? I've put on a lot of weight - 2 stone or more I'd guess - in the last few years doing shift work as I struggle to eat healthily or at all at work, resulting in eating too much later, drinking too much etc. I have an active job and I'm sure with planning I could make my diet healthier and lose 1-2 stone with not much trouble. I've done it before.
Can numbness be reversed? Anyone else in the same boat?

A

asparagusp

You need to be diagnosed and to take it from there ..... I don't know whether you can reverse numbness unfortunately. Fingers crossed.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is NEVER too late to make positive changes, which can have huge impact on your future health.

I would suggest that you do make that doctor's appointment, and go and discuss things with them.

There are many different reasons why you might have lost feeling in your toes, and yes, neuropathy is one, but there are others, including pinched nerves, bad backs, bad neck, and so on. But you really need an expert opinion and a proper diagnosis.

If it does prove that your blood glucose is out of wack, then this forum is the best place for information and support, and lots of us have all sorts of suggestions on diet, exercise, lifestyle, nutrition and supplements which may help to control or even improve diabetic blood glucose and neuropathy. Your doc may be able to help with educational courses, medication and advice.

But the reason you most need to get to a doctor for a chat, is that nerve damage and blood glucose damage is often progressive, and if you don't have it diagnosed and appropriately treated, then it may get worse - if you don't address the cause. Once you have a proper diagnosis, you will be in a much better position to make the necessary changes.

Hope that helps. :)

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Honestly you do need to talk to your Dr, the not knowing is far worst thank knowing .. Dr google is never going to be a help until you know what your facing. :)

Reactions: asparagusp

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Schmee, I'm in exactly the same boat, I am prediabetic and have had numbness in the front half of my right foot for 3 months now. I am seeing a consultant podiatrist who has done MRI and ultra-sound scans which have shown nothing wrong. In the last 2 weeks I have started getting the same feeling in my left foot too. The podiatrist will be referring me to a neurologist for further tests. He said he would be very surprised if it was blood sugar related neuropathy as this usually develops over a period of time with diabetes.
I am taking Vit B and Alpha Lipoic acid supplements but neither of these have helped me.

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
Even if you did get a diagnosis of Type 2 diabetes, it's nothing to be scared of. For me, I now think it's probably something that saved my life. After a number of years of having type 2, receiving medication and not really having any of the problems resulting from it, it was very gradually getting worse, and I've now decided to take it head on and reverse some of the symptoms.

I'm now probably the healthiest I've been for 20 years (I'm 53). My high blood sugar levels are a thing of the past, mine are consistently in the normal range. I've lost 30kg in total since I was diagnosed, 17 of it in the last six months by eating a pretty filling and tasty diet which I'm actively enjoying (not just having to live with a boring low fat, self-denying and unsatisfying diet). I go to the gym whenever I can because I'm probably addicted to the endorphins or something - I go because I feel great afterwards, and frankly, now my body is like that of Greek God, it would be criminal not to show it off in sports gear.

I'm also now very very happy, and think of my diabetes as something like being allergic to a food, not something that will kill me. You just have to take control of it, and the first step is finding out if you have it, then come back here and you'll get all the advice you need, loads of people here will echo my experience and it's not rocket science.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@schmee123 - I agree with Brunneria in all she says. The only thing I would add is that if you have perchance tripped over the line to a diabetes diagnosis, what is it you fear? I ask that as so many have said they feel so much better once they have things back in line, so it's not all gloom and doom. I think ignoring things is potentially really not a good thing.

If you think your Doc or nurse will tell you off, I maybe doubt that, unless you're unlucky. Any one of us can look around our Doc's waiting room to see there are a few people there who could also do with losing a pound or two, and smoking or liking a drink aren't great, but neither is criminal or something they will never have encountered in their personal or professional lives.

Please do find out what's going on, then you'll have a clearer picture of what you need to do for the best future you can have.

Reactions: KezG
A

asparagusp

"I'm also now very very happy, and think of my diabetes as something like being allergic to a food, not something that will kill me."

Yes I have wondered if Diabetes is "just" a food allergy to carbohydrates.

Reactions: ziggy_w and KezG

schmee123

Wow thank you for all the help and support - this site is amazing!
Have now done blood sugars, fasting: 5.3, 1 hr after eating 8.5, 2 hrs after 6.1. Not great but not quite as terrified now and pretty sure that's not what's causing my foot numbness.

Reactions: KezG

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Welcome @schmee123 those numbers seem terrific to me! Well done on them. I sometimes have numbness on my feet, but each time I have them tested I feel the little stick and they are ok. As others have said the only way to get a definitive answer it to see your Doc. Take care :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi Schmee, I'm in exactly the same boat, I am prediabetic and have had numbness in the front half of my right foot for 3 months now. I am seeing a consultant podiatrist who has done MRI and ultra-sound scans which have shown nothing wrong. In the last 2 weeks I have started getting the same feeling in my left foot too. The podiatrist will be referring me to a neurologist for further tests. He said he would be very surprised if it was blood sugar related neuropathy as this usually develops over a period of time with diabetes.
I am taking Vit B and Alpha Lipoic acid supplements but neither of these have helped me.
How long and what strength of ala have you been taking?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
600mg a day for 2 months now
Are you tempted to take them for a bit longer to see if any improvement? I take 80% r-ala which is a good quality one. I know expensive but I found it worth it. I stopped due to lack of funds but due to restart it again. It reduces my insulin needs by a third too.

andy2016

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Dear Sir/Madam, sorry to hear about the problem you are facing. I had the same problem and got my Vitamin B12 and D levels checked. It just happened that I was soaking up the morning sun and it felt good. The pins and needles feeling reduced for a day. I got my vitamin B12 and D levels checked only to find myself deficient on Vit.D.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi,
I have seen a few posts of yours referring to your neuropathy, which seems quite advanced for a prediabetic. It is perfectly possible, but quite unusual... And in the post I've just quoted, you mention taking vit B supplements.

It just occurred to me to ask, have you been tested for vit B12 level? And if so, what were your levels?
Have you looked at the symptoms of B12 deficiency? Because they can be mistaken for neuropathy, and depending on the reason for the deficiency, it may take mega doses (injections rather than over the counter supplements) to correct the deficiency. Also, different types of B12 supplement have different effective absorbancies.

Obviously, have a good google on B12 (there are some interesting videos on You Tube on the subject too) and if you have already been checked out, then pls ignore my comments. :)

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi , yes recently had a b12 test, it was on the low side of the normal range. So ive started taking a good sublingual b12 supplememt and also a good b1 supplement. I bought a walking stick today it is so bad now. More nerve conduction tests next week but apparently these show up negative for small fibre neuropathy.

Reactions: Brunneria

les74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well said ChrisSamsDad. It sounds as though you're someone with a positive attitude and taking control of your condition. I was diagnosed in June this year at a reading of 48. I've lost 3 stone and my last reading was 39 so I'm delighted my efforts are working. I'd rather not be a diabetic but I'm pleased I was diagnosed relatively early before serious damage was done. My life style has changed for the better and hopefully so has my long term health.

Reactions: bigjim19 and KezG

Bill_Dundee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I read your post and saw that it was exactly how I have spent the last couple of years - in denial! I now have T2D requiring medication and am coming to terms with the implications this brings.
Your body is telling you that you are going downhill but your brain is hoping the bogey man will go away and you can carry on as you have always done! It ain't going to happen. More than anything else, I wish I had listened to not only my body, but also my wife, my family and the Diabetes Nurse at my surgery. They were all telling me to do something before it was too late, but I knew better (!).
Go to your Doctor, get your blood checked and if it is high (as you know it will be) then deal with it. The help is out there but you have to want it.
The only way to lower your blood sugar's is to stop eating sugar or at the very least, cut back on it by 90%. That includes alcohol, potatoes, pasta, most fruits, bread - any type (not even a small slice) sweets and carry outs!
That said, there are a multitude of food you can enjoy, you just have to learn how to find them. T2D is not a 'take a pill and it will go away' illness, it's a life changer. If you are still at the pre-diabetes stage, you have an excellent chance of turning this round. For myself, I have given myself a year to get down to my BMI, which may be enough to come off the medication. In other words, is up to me to cure myself.
I wish you all the best.