Type 2 DVLA 3 Yr Licence & Insurance - discrimination?

dubstix

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just looking for some members own recent experiences regarding a 3 year restricted licence and car insurance. I've a number of policies with various providers and have been on insulin for a few years now and of course a 3 year licence. I have always said that I have had a full UK licence for many years and that I have a DVLA notifed condition. Every 3 years, I get my licence and I do not experience hypo's. I noticed on a policy renewal that it stated that I didn't have a medical condition so I rang them to ensure that they had my condition registered.
I was taken back when I was told that I therefore didn't have a full licence that I had declared and that my renewal would increase!! I've done some browsing, mainly on this forum, and what I've seen is that it is illegal to do this as it is considered as being discrimination. This advice was over a year ago and I wondered what current experience was. I checked with another provider who confirmed that they didn't penalise holders and that they recognise the full licence along with a monitored licence. I rang my provider back who said that their licence options included a restricted licence and that they couldn't (or wouldn't) do anything.
Is this right?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I was taken back when I was told that I therefore didn't have a full licence that I had declared and that my renewal would increase!

Never heard such nonsense, of course you have a full licence it's just a restricted one. People shouldn't be discriminated for having diabetes with car insurance, just go with another insurance provider @dubstix

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would change insurer if I were you, this makes me really annoyed!!

Brillpaul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Got LADA, type1.5 last Feb.,on insulin. As advised,applied for 3year licence, informed current insurance for car and motorbike. No problems and no extra cost. Shop around!!

dubstix

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yea, I certainly will be, but I wondered whether there was a legal bit here are is this a sign of other insurers doing the same

Keith9534

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is it normal to get a three year restricted licence with diabetes? ( Or just after going onto Insulin? )

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
My first insurer after diagnosis tried to charge me for notifying them! funnily enough the suggestion went away when I suggested the ombudsmen.. .

dubstix

Type of diabetes
Type 2
All interesting stuff, thanks everyone.
Just to put this all to bed, a manager rang me and wasn't able to change anything, it was as their underwriter had........as a gesture of goodwill however, she offered to renew the policy on the original price. I declined on a matter of principle and went elsewhere. No other insurance company has (knowlingly) applied a similar premium.

The surprising thing was that this was the RAC Insurance!!

I didn't go to the ombudsman, will be interested if anyone else has had this or referred them, I saw that one did mention the ombudsman

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I and my entire family have glaucoma and so we have three year licences until the inevitable day and I have never heard of any of us being penalised. When diagnosed I just phoned the insurer to say I had glaucoma in both eyes and it made no difference to the policy other than a note under declared medical conditions. Every three years we do the test and the insurer has never even asked if I passed. I suppose the DVLA computers could share that info.

My only experience with the RAC would confirm your experience of them being a maverick lot without standardised guidelines. With hubby not being in the best of health we wanted roadside assistance especially when towing our caravan. The RAC offer cover to camping and caravan club members. We joined and paid on line and we might have thought all was in place and left it at that.

Fortunately we have very little faith in corporates. First RAC man confirms we were covered and gives us membership number. Camping and caravan club cannot find us on their database, Second RAC lady says we are not covered as we should have entered a code number on our application. Fortunately we were able to retrace the steps we took to make the application and find the voucher code. Back to camping and caravan club who still could not find us but because we had screen prints which we offered to deliver to her in person agreed to do our booking. A month later we had a letter from RAC but still nothing from camping and caravan club. We find out that it is the RAC that manage the membership arrangements for the CCC. Third RAC man says we are not members of CCC and therefore not covered by the RAC. The policy has a requirement that we are CCC members. Happily we still had our screen prints and the position is sorted until we have to renew separately with both organisations or the RAC policy is null and void. Needless to say we will be changing to the caravan club and green flag. IMHO moving your policy elsewhere is the only thing to do. Just think of the risks you run if they change the rules on you if you ever have to make a claim.