heavy legs and arms

James2

hi
I have type two diabetes i get heavy legs and arms i presume this is linked to my blood sugar levels been high my HbA1c was 90. does this reduce when you get it under control ?
also if you lose the weight get your number back to pre diabetes levels does the pancreas repair itself or just mange the blood sugar levels due to stability and weight lose ?
James 2

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi
I have type two diabetes i get heavy legs and arms i presume this is linked to my blood sugar levels been high my HbA1c was 90. does this reduce when you get it under control ?
also if you lose the weight get your number back to pre diabetes levels does the pancreas repair itself or just mange the blood sugar levels due to stability and weight lose ?
James 2

maybe... , but for other reasons you should get your blood glucose down to normal, you could get even more complications if you don´t take control ...so if you haven´t tried it yet, you should try to do the low carb high fat diet... if you are extremely strickt you can get maybe your numbers down in 2 weeks maybe even faster

weight loss itself does not get your numbers back to normal, but it helps to loose weight because it will let you move more easy and you will maybe not get so high numbers in the dawn phenomenon in the mornings.when fat on stomach and in liver has gone
one of the things that do most to reduce insuline resistance which seems to be the major problem in diabetes(and causes the high blood glucose as the insuline is not working okay) type 2 is weight lifting/resistance training it can reduce insuline resistance with about 30 % over time..

it is far easier to loose weight if one goes very low carb and if one doesn´t eat from like 19 in the evening to next day 10 o´clock, because ones insuline that is terrible high in type 2 all the time is lowered by that and makes it much easier to loose weight when insuline i low....

when people do not get control they do get a lot of horrible damage to their body in many different ways , and it is hard to know in what way first, but a lot do get feet amputated over time and also go blind or have damaged their sight and have nerve damage different places in their body... so control is important

some of the damage can be ireversible which means it can not or is likely not possible to get back to normal..

Last edited:

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
if you are extremely strickt you can get maybe your numbers down in 2 weeks maybe even faster
I would agree with this, my husband dropped from very high levels to normal in nine days. I'm not responding here to show off, but to give a warning. If you drop your sugar levels very fast, it can cause eye problems, retinopathy issues. I suspect that my husband's retinopathy might have been made worse by the sudden change in diet. He certainly couldn't drive for a few weeks due to excessive blurring of vision. In the longer term (three and a half years) , thanks to low carb, there is now very little evidence that he had any problems, but, if we had our time again, I might have made the menu changes a little slower.
Sally

Reactions: Brunneria

Sanste

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi james2, I can relate to the heavy legs and arms...sometimes I just didn't have the motivation to walk because of the lead like feel in my thighs and calves. It does get better after a while and put it down to the reduction in carbs ( I am still having a few carbs per day but nothing like the pre T2 diagnosis days!!)

Just Jeff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Politics, Football.
One of my first symptoms. Heavy leg's and arm's, again like the rest once I got my carbs sorted out everything seems normal.
One thing to be aware of is the good diet will start to sort out some of your issues and feel better, at this point you will think it's gone away and slip back to old ways.