Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok so short info:
17 y/o
Diagnosed 10 1/2 years ago
Type 1

I went to the foot people (forgotten the proper term sorry) when I was first diagnosed, but then they never contacted me since. Recently I got a letter from the foot place saying I'm due an appointment.
And they haven't had any available appointments since contacting me. But this past few weeks I've noticed the skin on my toes has started to come off. And just after getting out of the shower, as I went to dry my feet I saw how bad they'd gone since a few days ago.
Any ideas what's happening and if it's anything to worry about?
I'm quite worried now.
3c5c1e1762a7f1998ee13065d1c9a510.jpg

a9626fffb4b7b342ebcf3114b3aa2255.jpg

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally I wouldn't worry but I would bet it checked out to make sure there's no infection. If podiatrists can't fit you in there's always gp or ring 111 for advice. Hope it turns out OK

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks like it could be fungal? Do your feet itch? You need to seek advice asap.

Dana_Heath

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No itching at all. But have recently not known when my feet are warm or cold unless touching them @Deespee23

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It does look like Athletes Foot. Antifungal cream for feet and powder for shoes should sort but check with GP if concermed.

75Bedford

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe pop into your local chemist and ask them to have a look and suggest a suitable treatment.

75Bedford

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So some type of cream/ powder?
If its a fungal infection like Athletes Foot (which it does look like it could be) then yes an anti fungal cream for feet and powder to put in your shoes/socks, but ask the pharmacist first, please don't just go and buy some.

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just pop into Chemist and ask them but Athletes Foot cream/powder is what I meant.

D

Deleted member 308541

Go to your GP for a proper diagnosis, as is the best way to sort the problem out.

Dana_Heath

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So short term- foot powder/ cream.
Long term (when I can get an appointment) see the doctors rather than the foot person or can the foot people issue prescriptions?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
No podiatrist is licenced to diagnose but not to prescribe. Unless things have changed of late.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Long term (when I can get an appointment) see the doctors rather than the foot person or can the foot people issue prescriptions?

Dana, some areas have a walk in podiatry clinic for urgent issues. I know near where I live there there is one every morning, and diabetics and others at risk of foot problem (in my area at least) are able to self-refer.

In your shoes, I would call the number on the letter you have received (I imagine there will be a phone number on the letter) and explain what you are experiencing and they will be able to guide you - either by puting you through to the correct area or in another way.

Let us know how it goes.

D

Deleted member 308541

No podiatrist is licenced to diagnose but not to prescribe. Unless things have changed of late.
Must be the same here then, I will ask mine, as I go to see them next Thursday to get my toenails cut.

Dana_Heath

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok I'll give that number a ring but book in to the doctors at the same time just in case for prescription etc

Fido78

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Dana! To my untrained eye, this looks exacly what I had before diagnosis 2 years ago. It looks like pompholyx rash or when it peels it is called keratolysis exfoliativa. You should go to a derm and get a definite diagnosis.

take care

A

asparagusp

I had a little peeling underneath my feet recently. Is it not just skin renewing itself and that eventually it will all go on its own accord. Make sure your moisturise your feet but not between your toes as that can cause fungus. Good luck!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
If

You could pop into pharmacy and ask if the pharmacist can have a look at your feet, good luck I hope your feet get better soon ( and look better too)