Can I drink milk?

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Good evening all could you advise me as I like semi skinned milk will a glass a day be OK or should I stop drinking it.Thank you

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening all could you advise me as I like semi skinned milk will a glass a day be OK or should I stop drinking it.Thank you
How big a glass of milk? :)

Some people are FINE with milk. It is only about 5? grammes carbs per 100mls (it is listed on the nutritional info).

Other people switch to Lactofree milk because it is marginally lower carb.

Others (like me) find that for some bizarre reason even a splash of milk in a cup of tea affects their blood glucose.

So, sadly, it won't be something any of us can tell you. You just have to use your meter and test to find out how your body reacts.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are following a Low Carb (LC) diet, then a glass of milk is around 5g of carbs, most of which is lactose, which is a sugar. So if this fits in with your daily carb allowance, then continue.

Best advice is to test bgl just before, then 1 hour later to see how it affects you. There may be a small spike.

There is actually little difference between semi-skimmed, lowfat 1%, and Whole Full Fat milk in terms of carbs, but for LCHF dieters, the advice is to go whole milk since the fat content helps with that diet more than semi skimmed. There are many on that diet that have a carb target of <20 g / day. and often you will see them refer to bullet proof coffee which is cofee, no milk, but added double cream since double cream has almost zero carbs. But you probably won't want a glass of double cream a day.

So maybe moving to a smaller glass? or is it half full or half empty? There are probably other more carby things to worry about that you should curtail first

A

asparagusp

If you are following a Low Carb (LC) diet, then a glass of milk is around 5g of carbs, most of which is lactose, which is a sugar. So if this fits in with your daily carb allowance, then continue.

No - a glass of milk is around 12 g!

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
A 200ml serving of semi-skimmed milk is reported by Tesco's as containing 9.6g CHO. Still well within workable limits whence counting carbs. Just for information.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Sorry you aren't right. http://www.milk.co.uk/page.aspx?intpageid=327 and various other websites come up with similar figures.
Thanks for posting the link to The Dairy Council website, I never can find it when I want it.
Upon reading it just now, it agrees with my previous post ie 200ml semi-skimmed milk = 9.7g CHO.
Can you explain how you interpret this site's figures differently, please?
I do feel it is important to dispel incongruity, I wish to be accurate in my posts. Thank you

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry I am so used to quoting the 'per 100g' figures which is probably the more common way of expressing carb content ion packets, but it depends then on the size of the glass. A Pint Glass would be even more carby if filled to the brim than one half filled.

Reactions: wiseowl_123

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get the full fat lactofree made by Arla which has 2.7g of carbs per 100ml so almost half that of regular milk. I try not to have too much of it about 3 teaspoons in a mug of tea (yes I do measure it).

Reactions: wiseowl_123

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Good morning all my friends thank you for all your most helpful posts as I am new to all this am I right in thinking that a pint of milk is equal to 568.261ml so 200ml is about half a glass.Thank you:)

D

Deleted member 308541

Good morning all my friends thank you for all your most helpful posts as I am new to all this am I right in thinking that a pint of milk is equal to 568.261ml so 200ml is about half a glass.Thank you:)
A pint of milk is 20 fluid ounces or 570mls, so ½ a pint is 10 fluid ounces or 285 mls.

I drink a pot of beer at the bowls club which is a 10 fluid ounce / 285 mls glass like this empty one.

VypjMuT.jpg

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I shall have a look for Almond milk

Just make sure it's unsweetened/no added sugar as Alpro which I buy (from Tesco), also does a sweetened version.

it's always worth looking at the full nutritional information on packaging, or on one of the online supermarkets (e.g. Tesco, Waitrose) or the producer's web sites as there should be detailed data there. If you look for the number of carbs per 100g then you can work out how many there are in any portion size. Be a bit wary of any portion size values on packaging though as it's sometimes quite unrealistic in size (e.g. 1/4 small can of soup) which makes the values better than they actually will be for the amount we'd actually drink or eat!

Robbity

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Even on LCHF, one small glass will probs be fine. I personally hate the stuff, always have so never touch it:)