Seeking for 'patients' to make a Change in Europe

cosmoDIA

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi everyone!

My name is Detti and I am writing to ask for your kind help in a transcultural mission. I am a senior student at Semmelweis
University Hungary, where I attend the Department of Dietetics and Nutrition Sciences.

This year we are obliged to write our thesis, in any area we are interested in. I have chosen vegetarian diabetes, since there's no any
recommendation be in force - except the USDA Guidelines for diabetic patients- which has remarkable effects on diabetic patients in Hungary.

So, as I am a vegetarian for more than 10 years, I started to seek to the topic vegetarian diabetes and have found several Lifestyle
Centers, Clinics, Committees around the world, where the therapy of diabetes (no matter type 1 or 2) is based on vegetarian or vegan diet, but haven't got any information from them yet.

That's why I need YOUR help! I need at least 100 vegan or vegetarian patients to make an effective, and acceptable research, and time goes fast..:) I made a questionnaire for all of YOU who are willing to help me : http://online-kerdoiv.com/index/view/hash/1415b092af9a1518218cfaf864329c02/lang/111

Could you please fill in this short questionnaire or even forward it to those who are also vegetarian and has diabetes?

Reactions: Robinredbreast
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi Detti, I tried to fill in the questionnaire but found it too difficult to follow. I didn't want to put an email address (even a fictional one) so gave up. I wish you luck with your thesis :)

@cosmoDIA

cosmoDIA

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Detti, I tried to fill in the questionnaire but found it too difficult to follow. I didn't want to put an email address (even a fictional one) so gave up. I wish you luck with your thesis :)

@cosmoDIA
Dear Avocado Sevenfold!
Could you help me, which part of the questionnaire presented you difficulties? Cuz I try to simplify it for others, if it helps :)
Thx even for your fast reply:)

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have tried to do the questionnaire .. but found it almost impossible to say amounts of foods ... so gave up ! sorry

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had a quick look, but not veggie so did not submit. But you need to look at your quantity options eg who has 1 cup of stevia. Also good luck on the blood measures i dont even know them all for this year never mind at diagnosis 38 yrs ago.

cosmoDIA

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dear Everyone (and mainly those, who already tried to help me:))!

First of all, thanks for the replies, comments, and the attempts, every information is useful for me. If you already have tried or will just try to fill the questionnaire, I have to clear couple of things:
  1. it's not a problem, if you can not answer one, two, or couple of questions (of course ideally all the questions are answered, but I'm not perfectionist:))
  2. The amount of food consumption should not be filled out if you felt hard to estimate it, I only need it, because I need to know, how and why vegetarian diet has helped You, so I have to see a 'kind of etaing habits'...:(...I am more than grateful if you could even only guess your food intake, but if it's easier and help you, you could write a dietary record for 3days (where you diarize what you eat during the day)
  3. if none of the options work for You, it's still fine, just let me know where did you experience difficulties
Thank you all!

Reactions: Robinredbreast
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Dear Everyone (and mainly those, who already tried to help me:))!

First of all, thanks for the replies, comments, and the attempts, every information is useful for me. If you already have tried or will just try to fill the questionnaire, I have to clear couple of things:
  1. it's not a problem, if you can not answer one, two, or couple of questions (of course ideally all the questions are answered, but I'm not perfectionist:))
  2. The amount of food consumption should not be filled out if you felt hard to estimate it, I only need it, because I need to know, how and why vegetarian diet has helped You, so I have to see a 'kind of etaing habits'...:(...I am more than grateful if you could even only guess your food intake, but if it's easier and help you, you could write a dietary record for 3days (where you diarize what you eat during the day)
  3. if none of the options work for You, it's still fine, just let me know where did you experience difficulties
Thank you all!

Hi, I think I speak for @Enclave and myself when I say that we were both vegetarian for decades before we became diabetic. It is not a way of eating that we adopted in order to help with our diabetes management. It is therefore impossible to tell whether our way of eating has helped with controlling our diabetes or not as we would have been veg*n anyway. I hope this makes sense :)

Last edited by a moderator: