Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I have a strong suspicion that if a dietitian (or anyone else) wanted to prove a nutritional point - any point - that they could find examples of it if they searched hard enough and then they could twist that sample to prove whatever point it is that they feel necessary to annoy the rest of us with.

I once had a DN once tell me (after me saying that I low carb) that the tomato sauce on top of a pizza contains substances that are very good for me - which might possibly be true but is definitely outweighed by the effect all the carbs in a pizza would have on me.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I have a strong suspicion that if a dietitian (or anyone else) wanted to prove a nutritional point - any point - that they could find examples of it if they searched hard enough and then they could twist that sample to prove whatever point it is that they feel necessary to annoy the rest of us with.

I once had a DN once tell me (after me saying that I low carb) that the tomato sauce on top of a pizza contains substances that are very good for me - which might possibly be true but is definitely outweighed by the effect all the carbs in a pizza would have on me.
pizza-food-pyramid.jpg

Hotpepper20000

People are always so concerned about leaving fruit out of a diet.
But vegetables have various vitamins as well.
And technically a tomato is a fruit. I'm very fortunate that they don't raise my BG.

Doriand

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Political Correctness
On our news today they reported about how people are being tested for scurvy and results coming back positive. It's due to lack of vitamin C. But in the report they referred to type 2 diabetics getting the disease because they haven't been eating fruits and veg with vitamin C in their diets. Interesting.

Here's the link to the ABC website report:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-...e-condition-of-scurvy-among-diabetics/8073136
A doctor I used to see once warned me about taking vit c tablets as it might affect my kidneys as he was writing a script for lipitor (another story for a different forum). I wonder what his thoughts are regarding this thread.o_O

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
A doctor I used to see once warned me about taking vit c tablets as it might affect my kidneys as he was writing a script for lipitor (another story for a different forum). I wonder what his thoughts are regarding this thread.o_O

Oh, I'm on lipitor as well. But I think maybe taking a vitamin C tab every now and again and not everyday may be the way to go. But really only needed if you can't eat any or enough vitamin C rich foods. My choices of vitamin C foods are quite limited as I can't have any citrus and a lot of other fruits. I can't most tomatoes, only the real small ones like cherry and grape as they're not acidic. I can eat red capsicum thankfully which is high in vitamin C, but I have to cook it well.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I do eat Sauerkraut on occasion as it is high in vitamin C and is supposed to have other health benefits also.

Reactions: Mep
D

Deleted member 308541

Yes, I mentioned that above... have to cook it well though. :)
Have you tried stuffed capsicums? @Mep Use a savoury mince as stuffing and bake them in the oven.

Lots of recipes on Google for them.

Reactions: Mep

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Oh, I'm on lipitor as well. But I think maybe taking a vitamin C tab every now and again and not everyday may be the way to go. But really only needed if you can't eat any or enough vitamin C rich foods. My choices of vitamin C foods are quite limited as I can't have any citrus and a lot of other fruits. I can't most tomatoes, only the real small ones like cherry and grape as they're not acidic. I can eat red capsicum thankfully which is high in vitamin C, but I have to cook it well.
I don't eat any vitamin C rich foods, nor do I take vitamin C pills. If you are avoiding carbs, vitamin C supplementation is not necessary. The people in the article with vitamin C deficiency had a diet of mostly junk food (i.e. lots of refined carbs).

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't eat any vitamin C rich foods, nor do I take vitamin C pills. If you are avoiding carbs, vitamin C supplementation is not necessary. The people in the article with vitamin C deficiency had a diet of mostly junk food (i.e. lots of refined carbs).

I'm not doing LCHF diet. And there was only one person that was interviewed that had a junk food diet, they didn't mention that the others in the study only ate junk food. They're saying that they're eating not enough vitamin C foods though because they found they were deficient in it. :)

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I'm not doing LCHF diet. And there was only one person that was interviewed that had a junk food diet, they didn't mention that the others in the study only ate junk food. They're saying that they're eating not enough vitamin C foods though because they found they were deficient in it. :)
Yes, I see now that the problem was also overcooking their veg. But if you are eating a refined carbs, then yes, you need vitamin C in your diet as well. Otherwise, you don't.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
So, that report is blow to low carb diets then?

I would be very interested to find out what Vit C levels were found in a cross section of the population, diabetic or not.

And what Vit C levels were found in a well designed low carb diet (like mine) where I have in excess of the recommended daily amount of veg, on average, often lightly cooked or in salads - including veg and berries which have very high levels of vit C. Of course, I also eat slow cooked stews, but they are not ALL I eat.

Surely EVERYONE knows that a diet (whether low carb or not) should not contain nothing but cooked-to-death veg?
But underactive thyroid suffers are told to cook their veg well. Not well cooked veg can interfer with thyroid health in sufferers. I think it's a fine line.

Reactions: Freema

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I haven't eaten a fruit or veg in almost a year and a half. No signs of scurvy yet.
Lets hope you never wound and need to heal quickly. It might be too late. Take a supplement? Not worth the risk. I've learnt that the hard way.

Reactions: Freema