How unlucky

Chasida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Pubs/clubs
Last night, while hurriedly preparing dinner, (due to being late back from mum's) I dropped the hot pirex dish full of vegetables and it smashed to smithereens!
Unbeknown to me .. a small shard of glass got into my slipper.
It caused no problem, but, this morning I got up and slid on my slippers ... only to get a searing pain on the middle underside of my foot, and found that elusive shard sticking in me like a splinter.
I did manage to remove it, and rubbed Sudacrem into my foot, but tonight it is feeling sore again.
I have never had a foot examination and my type 2 was diagnosed 11 months ago. What would you all do? Should I visit the surgery on Monday or am I being too careful/fussy?

Reactions: Freema

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

What a bad turn of events.. (Lol, I don't believe in "luck.")
My thoughts. Keep it clean. & get the wound looked at. It's better safe than sorry with the feet.

Reactions: Chasida

MarkE

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Woo
Ouch.

If in any doubt, get it looked at. One of the known problems with diabetic feet is in-noticed loss of sensation, so we can pick up injuries we don't fully realise the extent of. Probably not an issue, but better to be sure.

Reactions: Chasida and Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yes if you still have problems with the wound in your foot then have it examined.. it is a bad place to get a bad infection.., but if you have gotten it all out it will probably have healed a lot on monday, if you are not high in glood glucose in general...

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did something similar a year or so ago, when I stood on a shard of ceramic that came out of the packing for a new BBQ. The BBQ has ceramic coated grills.

I wasn't quite as lucky too be able to remove it, but having had it checked, it made it's own way to near the surface, again over a few days, at which time the ANP at my surgery was able to get it out.

Ensure you keep it covered; due to the proximity to the floor, as even the cleanest of floors will have a certain amount of grime on them. I was also given prophylactic antibiotics.

It did hurt quite a bit, so you have my sympathy!

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I have never had a foot examination and my type 2 was diagnosed 11 months ago. What would you all do? Should I visit the surgery on Monday or am I being too careful/fussy?

I did exactly the same thing, only my piece of glass stayed in my foot overnight, without me realising, and didn't bleed until I had a shower the next morning. Boy oh boy did it seem like there was a lot of blood and it didn't stop, so my Pyrex explosion ended in A&E where they removed a shard of glass. It wasn't big but they said I did the right thing and didn't think I was wasting their time. That was in the days when our hospital had an A&E of course.

I don't think that a diabetic person can be too careful or fussy with their feet.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Ouch!! but as it has been said get it checked out. I know some one who is now minus a toe under similar circumstances who thought a bit of antiseptic cream and it would be OK and left it at that.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought I'd add, when I had mine checked at the walk-in centre, they were unable to remove the shard, without resort of surgery, as it was slap bang in the centre of my heel pad, so I was advised to see how t went, on antibiotics and limping.

Of course, the limping was great for sympathy, but uncomfortable for getting around. :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
However at least you felt it.. that's the problem if you have neuropathy.. you don't feel it and it gets infected hence the foot inspections...might be worth getting it checked out in case it didn't all come out though.

Chasida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Pubs/clubs
Thanks everyone who replied with suggestions etc
I had an appointment through to see my diabetic nurse yesterday morning (6 month review) so it will be top of my list to ask about :) It does seem fine ... but won't take chances :)

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just go careful, one step at a time.

Sorry just couldn't resist! Especially after @AndBreathe s walk-in centre, that is hilarious (although most probably not at the time) Sorry :angelic:

I wish you a speedy and full recovery!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just go careful, one step at a time.

Sorry just couldn't resist! Especially after @AndBreathe s walk-in centre, that is hilarious (although most probably not at the time) Sorry :angelic:

I wish you a speedy and full recovery!

The oldies are the best. ;)

Reactions: slip