Vegetarian: Christmas dinner ideas

A

Avocado Sevenfold

What are you planning for your vegetarian or vegan Christmas dinner? What about party food?
Or maybe you have a rogue diabetic veggie coming for Christmas and are looking for lower carb ideas.

Please post your recipes and ideas here :)

Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

For years we have had a tradition of having Sarah Brown's cashew roast for either a starter or main (from her book Vegetarian Kitchen, 1984) With the arrival of T2, we have adapted it a little to make it lower carb.

The parsnips have been subbed for celeriac.
The breadcrumbs are now made from Burgen soya and linseed bread.

LAYERED CASHEW AND MUSHROOM NUT ROAST

http://www.food.com/recipe/layered-cashew-and-mushroom-nut-roast-244571

Here is last year's celeriac version...
x6bn9j.jpg

VEGAN
version: One year we had a vegan buffet so made mini ones in silicone muffin moulds, omitted the mushroom layer and subbed the egg for a flax egg. They went down very well.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Doing a low carb gluten free vegetarian nut roast this Christmas at my mother's house. Did post the recipe on one of the Christmas threads.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

BRUSSELS SPROUTS WITH WALNUT VINAIGRETTE

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/brussels-sprouts-with-walnut-vinaigrette

I tried this tonight and love it! So many flavours. A good side dish if sprouts are banned in your family for any reason as it can be made in advance and snuck on to the table.

Low carb veggie tweaks were: omit the sugar or sub for fake sugar. Replace the parmesan with manchego or Sainsbury's Basics Italian hard cheese.

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
BRUSSELS SPROUTS WITH WALNUT VINAIGRETTE

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/brussels-sprouts-with-walnut-vinaigrette

I tried this tonight and love it! So many flavours. A good side dish if sprouts are banned in your family for any reason as it can be made in advance and snuck on to the table.

Low carb veggie tweaks were: omit the sugar or sub for fake sugar. Replace the parmesan with manchego or Sainsbury's Basics Italian hard cheese.

Are you unable to get parmesan without animal rennet or is there some other reason you avoid it?

OOPS (edit) nice recipe!

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We have Indian takeaway for Christmas dinner, I usually have veggie thali

We have 'The X'Mas Pizza'. Topped simply with red tomatoes, white mozzarella & green basil it looks rather festive :)

Reactions: 8 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Reactions: 4 people
K

Kat100

Christmas weekend is four days this year . I am going out for a Christmas lunch during Christmas week .. So I feel very lucky ..
Good veggie choices on the menu ...

I have had alternative before ..so ...

This year .. It will be spicy food on Christmas Day .. Cooked before hand .. Homemade and frozen .. I like to keep Christmas Day free from to much cooking ..
So it will be nibbles in the morning and will eat at night ..
Saturday .. Stuffed mushrooms , salad and homemade chips .
Sunday and Monday .. Will be the veggie cauiflour cheese roast , for two days .. All the veggie trimmings ..

Triffle is on the menu to .. Always have triffle at Christmas
Will make a cream desert with lemon and raspberries ..
And indulge in a bit of shortbread .. Could make it .. ...but it is Christmas ..

Marks are doing some truffles at 50%
I am going to look for some 70% ones though ..

Want to make some savoury treats with filo pasty .. I am thinking , or I might just make some cheese and mustard sconces with herbs .. Love those , have not made for ages , they freeze well .. Love a little Christmas nibble during the day .. Yum ...

Reactions: 4 people
K

Kat100

A

Avocado Sevenfold

@Kat100 That all sounds delicious. You are very organised! We have no firm plans yet, but I know there will be trifle involved! :D

K

Kat100

Since finding this recipe at the weekend, all pudding bets are now off!!

It's got the words "gingerbread", "lemon curd" and "trifle" in the title :joyful: I reckon it would be easy to make a low carb version.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...curd-trifle-with-blackberry-sauce-recipe.html
Looks just lovely .. Are you going to make it .. Looks great ..

I am going to make a ginger cake with dates and banana .. It's quite a flat cake .. Not much sugar and I will use 50% half and half ..
From memory it's made with a good oil .. Less fat in it .. Which is better for me .. Goodness it's getting exciting ..i had better start extra walking .. :)

SueB743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's not very original but I will be having cauliflower cheese. Been my dish of choice for veggie reasons for years at Christmas and still suitable for my first D Christmas. All the usual Christmas trimmings will be available and I was thinking of a really small portion of potato parsnip and carrot. Thinking it's just one day so a little will be ok. Definitely signing up for the new low carb programme post Christmas though.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

What are we having this year? @Kat100 @Ledzeptt @Enclave @Welshman1952 etc

This is my first vegan Christmas and I can't wait! :hungry:

STARTER
Parsnip soup with cashew cream

MAIN
mushroom and nut bundt with cherry relish
green beans with shallots
turnip mash
fried Fry's polony

PUDDING
chocolate pie with pecan crust, chocolate ginger puddles and retro mandarins (last seen at my birthday, hence the candle)

EVENING SNACKS in case I am still hungry :oops:
Aldi spicy almonds
Nutcrafter Gary on Lidl roll thin toast

BOOZE
Champagne from Aldi. This one has won awards, is delicious and is only £9.99 a bottle! https://www.aldi.co.uk/p/000000015801000

2s1qceu.jpg

Reactions: Ledzeptt